Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

2015 GT Fuel Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 08:17 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

I never said I was, and you're making certain assumptions.

Last edited by Intrepid175; 03-06-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:22 AM
Mr. Motion

Wink

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
The videos I referenced showed GT Mustangs own electronic displays returning at or very near 30 mpg. These guys were obviously driving in a very conservative manner and they were getting the fuel economy. If they continued driving that way, why wouldn't you think the car would continue to offer up that kind of economy? The mileage that MPGomatic reported was after a 40+ miles drive, not just a "let's reset the meter while coasting downhill" kind of thing. This isn't about sample sizes. It's just an observation that, "driven properly under favorable conditions," the car is very much capable of offering pretty darned good gas mileage. The fact that most folks either aren't capable of, or willing to exercise the discipline to drive the car that way, doesn't negate the fact. I'm not blaming them for that. The sound and feel of the V8 make it really hard not to play with it from time to time, but that's going to kill the overall average. It's not the car, it's the driver!

Steve R.
Never, ever believe the mileage numbers shown on the screen! All car manufacturer programs purposely inflate the values calculated by the ECM. Do the math yourself - fill up the tank w/o topping it, note the mileage, drive it until it is at least 1/2 empty and fill it up again w/o topping. Note the # of gallons and the mileage again to determine distance driven between fill-ups and then divide the first value by the second one. I guarantee you that the result will be less than what's shown on the screen!
Old 03-10-2017, 03:01 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Motion
Never, ever believe the mileage numbers shown on the screen! All car manufacturer programs purposely inflate the values calculated by the ECM. Do the math yourself - fill up the tank w/o topping it, note the mileage, drive it until it is at least 1/2 empty and fill it up again w/o topping. Note the # of gallons and the mileage again to determine distance driven between fill-ups and then divide the first value by the second one. I guarantee you that the result will be less than what's shown on the screen!
Oh, I fully agree. One thing I've always done is keep a mileage log on my cars. I buy the car and put a small spiral bound notepad in the glove box and record date, place, trip mileage, gallons to fill, and record the mpg. The last two cars I've owned had the computer mileage readouts. With them I add the computers mpg calculations in parenthesis just for comparison. Both cars computer always averaged between one and two mpg more than my calculations. Assuming the Mustang is similar, and that's all any of us are really doing here is assuming, then the Mustangs in the videos were getting something between 27 and 29 mpg which is still pretty darned good for a GT.

As I've said before, no one, including me, is saying that near 30 mpg fuel economy is going to be a regular happening with the GT. But to say, as many are here, that it's a total impossibility isn't exactly right either. I've read a lot of conversations on this forum, on this subject. A lot of the guys are honest enough to admit they're lead footed with the car, so they're not going to get great mileage. They're ok with that. Some admit that they do mostly stop and go city driving and/or rarely drive more than 5 to 10 miles at a time. That's an economy killer regardless of what you're driving. Then there area those who are fortunate to live in areas that are more conducive to getting a little better fuel economy from time to time and aren't interesting in drag racing the car every time they come off a stop sign. Those folks just might push the 30 mpg barrier from time to time.

Last edited by Intrepid175; 03-10-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:57 AM
Mr. Motion

Oh, I fully agree. One thing I've always done is keep a mileage log on my cars. I buy the car and put a small spiral bound notepad in the glove box and record date, place, trip mileage, gallons to fill, and record the mpg. The last two cars I've owned had the computer mileage readouts. With them I add the computers mpg calculations in parenthesis just for comparison. Both cars computer always averaged between one and two mpg more than my calculations. Assuming the Mustang is similar, and that's all any of us are really doing here is assuming, then the Mustangs in the videos were getting something between 27 and 29 mpg which is still pretty darned good for a GT.

As I've said before, no one, including me, is saying that near 30 mpg fuel economy is going to be a regular happening with the GT. But to say, as many are here, that it's a total impossibility isn't exactly right either. I've read a lot of conversations on this forum, on this subject. A lot of the guys are honest enough to admit they're lead footed with the car, so they're not going to get great mileage. They're ok with that. Some admit that they do mostly stop and go city driving and/or rarely drive more than 5 to 10 miles at a time. That's an economy killer regardless of what you're driving. Then there area those who are fortunate to live in areas that are more conducive to getting a little better fuel economy from time to time and aren't interesting in drag racing the car every time they come off a stop sign. Those folks just might push the 30 mpg barrier from time to time.
If folks don't like the gas mileage, then why did they buy a high performance car with 11:1 compression in the first place? Trade it in for a Prius! I, for one, was amazed to get an honest 24 mpg on a recent trip up north - way more than I expected.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:00 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Motion
If folks don't like the gas mileage, then why did they buy a high performance car with 11:1 compression in the first place? Trade it in for a Prius! I, for one, was amazed to get an honest 24 mpg on a recent trip up north - way more than I expected.
I don't think anyone was complaining about the fuel economy. Everyone knows what they're getting into with the GT. It's just that, as you yourself admitted, sometimes the car might surprise you.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:08 AM
ShiftQuick

Originally Posted by 69mach1377
I bet you got there really quick too.
Well ahh... there wasn't much traffic.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:14 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

The videos I referenced showed GT Mustangs own electronic displays returning at or very near 30 mpg. These guys were obviously driving in a very conservative manner and they were getting the fuel economy. If they continued driving that way, why wouldn't you think the car would continue to offer up that kind of economy? The mileage that MPGomatic reported was after a 40+ miles drive, not just a "let's reset the meter while coasting downhill" kind of thing. This isn't about sample sizes. It's just an observation that, "driven properly under favorable conditions," the car is very much capable of offering pretty darned good gas mileage. The fact that most folks either aren't capable of, or willing to exercise the discipline to drive the car that way, doesn't negate the fact. I'm not blaming them for that. The sound and feel of the V8 make it really hard not to play with it from time to time, but that's going to kill the overall average. It's not the car, it's the driver!

Steve R.

40 miles isnt much, its easy to go downhill for hundreds of miles if you're in the right geography.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:29 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Lol at going by dash MPGs after driving 40 miles.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:03 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redass02gt
40 miles isnt much, its easy to go downhill for hundreds of miles if you're in the right geography.
Well, some folks were simply saying that anyone can reset the mileage meter while coasting down hill and get it to say 30 mpg. That's true. The video I referenced certainly didn't do that. They guy does a lot of fuel economy runs and he uses a 40+ mile loop to do his testing. He admits the first half of it is "generally" down hill but he's also climbing back up that hill for the return trip and was still showing a hair over 30 mpg. If he continued doing that, do you think the numbers would somehow drop off for no reason? I find it interesting how many folks simply can't consider that it might be possible. One claims the "reset while coasting" excuse so I point out a guy who drove for over 40 miles and still got the mileage and of course, now there are others who pop up to poo-poo that. Whatever guys.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:03 AM
Dentexman

I get 16 MPG driving around in town, having fun. I'll average around 21 MPG typical highway driving. 2015 GT w/Perf. Pkg., 5.0

Quick Reply: 2015 GT Fuel Mileage