Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Help Convince Me!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 01:53 PM
bmatticus

Default Help Convince Me!

I've been looking around for a little while trying to decide what I want, if I want it, and when I want it. I am here now because my search, and some other factors (neighbor is a salesman at the local Ford dealer), have me leaning towards the 2015 Mustang GT. I am not trying to troll, or start any trolling, but wanting to get some honest feedback from you all on why you chose the Mustang over others. For reference, I've considered the following:

1. Subaru WRX or WRX STI

This is a cool car, plenty of practicality, but not a great looking car. Also, you have to really want it to go fast to get the performance you want. I am a little older now, 32 not terribly old, but I'm not into speeding on the road as much as I use to be. I want something that has the power available at a usable range so I might be able to enjoy it at in an at least semi-legal manner. Handling is the biggest plus here, but it seems like the Mustang GT can out perform these on the pavement, though maybe not as predictably.

2. Chevrolet Camaro SS with possibly 1LE

I did enjoy this car and I think I felt more comfortable driving it hard, it was a different area so I need to retest. However, visibility seemed worse and it is a large car. Styling is decent with these, overall fit and finish is a little lacking right now. Another detractor is that the new one is about to debut. If I went this route I'd probably pick up a lightly used model, but I'd imagine finding a 1LE would be a problem used. It seems like the Camaro SS 1LE might have an advantage for raw performance in some cases, but I'm not going to track the car anyway. My research on these seems to indicate the Mustang is a better option for my needs.

3. Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

I drove one of these and I think it was probably one of the most fun power wise. Very big car, didn't seem terribly unwieldy. Power seemed to be there and wanting to go whenever you touched it. A little more expensive and pretty bare for the price. The extra heft seems to make this one a little less attractive performance and price wise. Also, I have a bad taste about Dodge from previous experience with reliability. Fuel economy is terrible as well, I understand the deal of buying a V8 and fuel expectations but if I can get similar performance with 5MPG more then I want the extra 5MPG (I'm cheap).

4. 2009-2011 Mercedes C63 AMG (40-50K miles)

My buddy is a Mercedes tech and is trying to talk me into one of these as well. They look nice and power/performance wise are very similar to the Camaro/Mustang/Challenger. However, this was originally a $60-70K car and the maintenance of the car reflects that. He can help me out a lot with maintenance obviously, but I don't know that I want to have to rely on him being available when I need it. Rotors on this thing cost $1200/piece, brake pads are expensive, eats tires in 6K miles apparently, many cost of ownership concerns. Fit and finish should be superior on these, I'd assume. I'm not entirely sure what the overall performance comparisons are, though.

5. Ford Mustang GT with potentially PP or maybe a 3.55 and 401A

Like I said originally the Mustang seems to be the best overall fit in these categories. I didn't like the clutch as much in the Mustang, it has a lot of travel and it was hard to tell the friction point compared to the other vehicles, something I'd get used to I'm sure. The inside really surprised me as well, seemed very comfortable and the finishes seemed relatively nice (I drive a 2009 Accord EX-L today and seemed reasonably comparable). Power seemed to be good, comparing against the others not my Accord obviously, and available when you needed it. I didn't notice any visibility issues either. I didn't play with the stereo or what road noise came through, so those are outstanding concerns.

What do you all expect with longevity of these vehicles and holding up? I'll admit I've owned a Dodge Neon (a bad example of a Dodge I know), Toyota Celica, Toyota Tundra, and not a Honda Accord. It is fair to say I'm a little biased against the fit and finish of American cars, though I think they've turned around a bit in the recent decade. I know the 2015s are too early to tell, how about the last generation? Looking at them I'd expect they'll last as long as anything else on the road these days.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:01 PM
bmatticus

That should saw I now have a Honda Accord.. Another thing to note, I have a 3 year old and 11 month old boy that occasionally ride in my car, really only the 3 year old. That has been part of the deciding factors here, as I'd throw a 370Z into the mix as well if not, or even a slightly used Corvette. I took my 3 year old with me on the test drive of the Camaro and it went fine, I'd expect that to be about the same in the Mustang, can try that later.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:31 PM
whatsup62
1st Gear Member

Well I can't comment on the imports you listed but I can on the others. Here is my story.
My last performance car was a 1999 Z28 LS1 car. I do mod my vehicles and drive them like their stolen. Never owned a Ford, always spent $$$ to beat them.
New job, good $$ time to start looking. Pretty much knew I wanted a Camaro but thought I would test drive a Challenger SRT for the hell of it. Went and took for a spin. This car to me was about size and showing it off. Definitely the most comfortable of the big three. Heavy in the corners, good straight line performance but didn't knock my socks off.
Time to take my new Camaro SS for a test drive. Went to the local Chevy dealer and pointed out the SS I had been eye balling. Took it for a spin. Very impressed with the handling (not even on the same planet with the Challenger). Power was good and crisp. I'm a bigger guy and I had a difficult time seeing out the windows. Being a former owner of every generation of Camaro ever built I was happy but not thrilled...especially when I started negotiating price with the dealer...ugh. I left the dealership with a semi-deal on the table. As I left (Ford dealership right across the road) I saw a shiny black car at the Ford dealership that I did not recognize. I stopped in and took a look, new Mustang GT, Black with black wheels. I couldn't admit to myself that this is a pretty damn sexy car and i'm standing here at Ford. I went in and talked to the salesman and got briefed on the new 2015's... shows you how much I knew about Mustangs. Took the car for a drive....fell in love...love at first drive. It had everything the Camaro did, power, handling and I could easily see out the windows. Ford did a superior job with the interior over Chevy. I am totally in love with this car!
The main deciding factors for me were everything the Camaro had the Mustang had. The Mustang had a new body style that I really love. Mods are easy for the Mustang as the Camaro (maybe even a little more so) and finally I saved THOUSANDS over the other two. Very happy about my choice....but...at the end of the day its your choice. What makes you feel good? That's the cool thing about cars...everyone is different and there is no wrong answer. Have fun shopping!!!
Old 05-06-2015, 02:58 PM
bmatticus

Originally Posted by whatsup62
Well I can't comment on the imports you listed but I can on the others. Here is my story.
My last performance car was a 1999 Z28 LS1 car. I do mod my vehicles and drive them like their stolen. Never owned a Ford, always spent $$$ to beat them.
New job, good $$ time to start looking. Pretty much knew I wanted a Camaro but thought I would test drive a Challenger SRT for the hell of it. Went and took for a spin. This car to me was about size and showing it off. Definitely the most comfortable of the big three. Heavy in the corners, good straight line performance but didn't knock my socks off.
Time to take my new Camaro SS for a test drive. Went to the local Chevy dealer and pointed out the SS I had been eye balling. Took it for a spin. Very impressed with the handling (not even on the same planet with the Challenger). Power was good and crisp. I'm a bigger guy and I had a difficult time seeing out the windows. Being a former owner of every generation of Camaro ever built I was happy but not thrilled...especially when I started negotiating price with the dealer...ugh. I left the dealership with a semi-deal on the table. As I left (Ford dealership right across the road) I saw a shiny black car at the Ford dealership that I did not recognize. I stopped in and took a look, new Mustang GT, Black with black wheels. I couldn't admit to myself that this is a pretty damn sexy car and i'm standing here at Ford. I went in and talked to the salesman and got briefed on the new 2015's... shows you how much I knew about Mustangs. Took the car for a drive....fell in love...love at first drive. It had everything the Camaro did, power, handling and I could easily see out the windows. Ford did a superior job with the interior over Chevy. I am totally in love with this car!
The main deciding factors for me were everything the Camaro had the Mustang had. The Mustang had a new body style that I really love. Mods are easy for the Mustang as the Camaro (maybe even a little more so) and finally I saved THOUSANDS over the other two. Very happy about my choice....but...at the end of the day its your choice. What makes you feel good? That's the cool thing about cars...everyone is different and there is no wrong answer. Have fun shopping!!!
Thanks!

I agree with you there, it is all about what you enjoy the most. I am a very pragmatic person in general, this is how I ended up with the Accord. On paper, and practice, a very useful and fitting car. Only thing it really lacks is fun, and really all that matters at this point. I bought my wife an Odyssey last year and she loves it, works great for everything we need and plenty of room for the kids. My car was purchased with the idea of kids and needing practicality. However, I just end up driving back and forth to work and rarely have a kid with me. So, why not get something fun?
Old 05-06-2015, 03:02 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

As well engineered and slick as the Mercedes appear to be,they must really be money pits,or cars initially just put out on business leases.Three years later,and they're on the secondary market for sale.Whenever I watch the auction tv shows,these wonderful cars are commanding little more than Mustangs at the ten year point.
btw,I'm also an Accord driver.A 2014.A great car,but as you say,a bit light on the fun factor.

Last edited by Camster; 05-06-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:08 PM
bmatticus

Originally Posted by Camster
As well engineered and slick as the Mercedes appear to be,they must really be money pits,or cars initially just put out on business leases.Three years later,and they're on the secondary market for sale.Whenever I watch the auction tv shows,these alledgedly wonderful cars are commanding little more than Mustangs at the ten year point.
Yea, I believe it is a money pit issue. Maintenance is expensive to start, compared to common cars we're talking about here in general. Then you add on all the specialized things they have ($1200/piece rotors, $500 brake pads, ETC). My buddy tells me these things hold their value as well, though looking at them I'm not entirely convinced. I can get a 2009-2011 with 40-50K miles for $30-40K, thats what their being listed at so they are probably going for less. Thats about a 50% decrease in value, which isn't far off from the general pool of cars. I was pretty disappointed in the value of my Accord at this point as its a 2009 with 44K miles, but if I look at it from an MSRP versus current value it isn't much different.

At that price, I have a hard time buying something used. I guess if I was considering buying a 60-70K car anyway it'd be different. Or, if this was going to be a secondary car.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:44 PM
bmatticus

Has anyone put a car seat in the 2015? I thought I read somewhere its doable, though not ideal obviously. I know I fit my son's in a Camaro without much problem, the Mustang may be a bit smaller though?
Old 05-06-2015, 04:13 PM
whatsup62
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bmatticus
Has anyone put a car seat in the 2015? I thought I read somewhere its doable, though not ideal obviously. I know I fit my son's in a Camaro without much problem, the Mustang may be a bit smaller though?
Car seat no...but I think it would be doable. I have three daughters - 17, 14, 10. The 10 always sits behind me with legs crossed in seat. Three seater most of the time, sometimes two seater. I'm 6'3".
Old 05-07-2015, 07:37 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

I have an S class Mercedes that I use as a daily.

I would not own one out of factory warranty. They depreciate like any vehicle, but likely the repairs and replacement parts do not. Mine has been trouble free and super ride, but maintenance is expensive. Only need a yearly oil change but that is $500- $800 depending on the level of service requested.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:50 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

If you are going to have kid in a car seat in the back on a regular basis forget 2 door cars, buy a Charger.

Quick Reply: Help Convince Me!