Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Break in period?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 08:49 PM
moman89

Default Break in period and initial MPG?

Hi,

I just got my new GT and I have to be honest when I say this is the first new car I have ever bought... all my previous cars were used.

The car had 5 miles on it and I have driven about 60 miles so far and being a GT I stupidly and unknowingly started to give it a lot of juice at almost every stop sign and traffic light as it turned green to see what this engine is made of!

I then remembered something about a break in period and started taking it easy.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Why is there a break in period? Why shouldn't we drive the new engine hard (In theory)?
1) I have noticed that I'm getting 8.7 MPG which I know is incredibly terrible, how long does it take the engine to start using normal amounts of fuel and getting reasonable MPGs?

I know some of these questions might seem stupid but I'm a newbie so bear with me

Thanks

Last edited by moman89; 05-30-2015 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:50 AM
Crais

I had many of the same questions and my research thus far has turned up the recommendation that the first 1000 miles be considered the break in. The one thing that seems consistent in how people recommend driving is to vary your speed throughout that period and avoid prolonged driving at any given RPM.

Another suggestion I've seen that made some sense is that you check the oil level throughout this period as some may be lost.

I doubt you've done any damage since I've read of numerous people driving them pretty hard immediately after picking the car up.

I'm curious about the answer to your third question as well since I've read reports of everything from 500 miles to 2500 miles before fuel economy begins to level out.

My car isn't due to arrive for another week so I can't speak from experience, just my reading thus far.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:00 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

The search function is such a wonderful thing.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...in-period.html
Old 05-30-2015, 06:58 AM
moman89

Originally Posted by AK_Kayaker
The search function is such a wonderful thing.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...in-period.html
Haha fair enough, but I also have the question about the consumption which separates my question from the rest
Old 06-01-2015, 12:46 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Read the manual, all the answers are in there. You will get poor fuel economy for the first few hundred miles and the engine is a mechanical device with mechanical parts that needs to wear in and seat together properly before they get excessively heated.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:14 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

As much as I hate to go easy on anything. I believe the manual say 1000 miles. Vary speed and RPM. I'll get those 1000 miles over quick so I can let her rip.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:23 AM
Crais

The only mention of break-in I found in the manual is a mention in the fuel economy and MFT sections that say, respectively:
"Do not measure fuel economy during the first 1,000 mi (1600km) of driving (this is your engine's break-in period)...."

"Note: In order to allow a break-in period for your vehicle, you may not be able to create a Vehicle Health Report until your vehicle odometer has reached 200 miles."

For something as important as a break in period I would expect the manual to be more thorough.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:56 PM
topangler25
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Crais
The only mention of break-in I found in the manual is a mention in the fuel economy and MFT sections that say, respectively:
"Do not measure fuel economy during the first 1,000 mi (1600km) of driving (this is your engine's break-in period)...."

"Note: In order to allow a break-in period for your vehicle, you may not be able to create a Vehicle Health Report until your vehicle odometer has reached 200 miles."

For something as important as a break in period I would expect the manual to be more thorough.

Page 188
Old 06-05-2015, 11:59 AM
Crais

Originally Posted by topangler25
Page 188

Ah, there it is. Thanks
Old 06-13-2015, 08:07 AM
Monumaker

well we 'll se how it goes, but I let mine rip after about 150 miles..

Quick Reply: Break in period?