Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Need education on headers

Old 08-03-2015, 09:32 PM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

Default Need education on headers

I already have the Ford Racing Sport cat back on my car. So it seems I already have the mid-pipe.

Which headers should I go with? I initially planned on going with whatever Ford put in the catalog, but it is taking forever for anything to show up.

Also - every header has the disclaimer that they are for 'off-road use only' even the ones with cats installed. Will they not pass emissions testing or is it the usual CYA?

The Kooks headers look nice, but shopping by picture isn't exactly reliable. Does anybody have experience with them? Are they worth the extra $300 and will they match up to the cat back already installed?

TIA
Old 08-03-2015, 10:03 PM
whatsup62
1st Gear Member

I have the kooks long tubes on mine. Them and Stainless works have the best rep out there. I choose Kooks because I have had them on cars in the past and knew the quality would be superb. They fit the 2015 like a dream...still a PITA 10hr install. I have a MBRP h-pipe and catback. They matched up to it however the off-road pipe from Kooks (no cats) and the MBRP H-pipe both reduced down where they met. I did not like that and cut the reduction out and put 3" stainless pipe in place. This gave me 1 7/8" long tubes straight into 3" H-pipe into 3" all the way back to mufflers. The sound is killer and the gains VERY noticeable. The cost hefty!.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:41 AM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks.

I'm leaning toward the Kooks w/ cats. I won't be doing the install myself and the shop will be doing a dyno tune too.

I don't really trust off the shelf tunes and figure the $400 for the tuner + the time it takes to log data, send it back and get a new tune is worth the cost of having somebody who knows what they are doing just get it done in person. I have access to such people so why not?
Old 08-04-2015, 10:25 AM
Rob@Evolution
Former Sponsor

Kooks are good but given the choice I would choose Stainless works. Along with fitment, sound and a lifetime warranty they tend to be less expensive with great results on the dyno and if price is a factor because they all are constructed pretty much the same way that I would also take a look at Stainless Power they are a good header as well with an awesome price tag to begin with and now on top they are offering another 20% off as well. I carry all brands please feel free to contact me and I'll make sure you get the best price on the headers of your choice.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:16 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

I'd be interested in seeing an "INDEPENDENT" before & after rear wheel HP owner's dyno test. In a lot of cars I've built or been involved with, I've questioned whether headers are a good move for an every day driver as opposed to a track car. In many engines like Corvettes the gain is not worth the downsides unless you are competing on the track. The same goes for alot of modifications that aren't very much "bang for the buck" compared to the downsides. Some people just want to do something to their car!

I used to sell firearms & found out some guys wanted to buy a Winchester 30/30 Lever Action because it was cool even though it made no sense for the hunting they would do. If I tried to tell them that with facts, they would just buy it from someone else! Some would buy one to go hunting for Elk, or Pronghorns for which it was not suited! Even bear, yikes! Some people don't want facts! They want what they want! Facts just get in the way & pizz them off! Look how we vote for people who do things that hurt us because we like their brand of B.S.!

Last edited by Mr. D; 08-15-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:13 AM
Stainless Works
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the kind words Rob! Our Mustang headers are also on our 5-Day list so within 5 business days from an order they will ship! Rob and the guys at Evolution will give you a great price on our products!