Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Tune with a stock air box

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 08:30 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

There are always going to be two sides ... those for & against.

Here are the dyno sheets for our CAI - http://www.steeda.com/steeda-proflow...2015-555-3193/

Regarding the dyno sheet:
- The first run is when the car was bone stock - strong numbers for a stock car.
- The second run is with our cold air intake and included restrictor installed - put down 402.56 rwhp and 370.48 ft lbs tq which is a gain of 10.09 rwhp and 8.79 ft lbs tq over stock!
- The third run is with our cold air intake and included restrictor installed in addition to our stock tune calibration - put down 415.69 rwhp and 376.85 ft lbs tq which is a gain of 13.13 rwhp and 6.37 ft lbs tq from the second run!
- With both the Steeda cold air intake with restrictor and our tune which is for a stock setup, the gains were 23.22 rwhp and 15.16 ft lbs tq over our stock pull!

Hope that helps!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 09-15-2015, 08:55 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
There are always going to be two sides ... those for & against.

Here are the dyno sheets for our CAI - http://www.steeda.com/steeda-proflow...2015-555-3193/

Regarding the dyno sheet:
- The first run is when the car was bone stock - strong numbers for a stock car.
- The second run is with our cold air intake and included restrictor installed - put down 402.56 rwhp and 370.48 ft lbs tq which is a gain of 10.09 rwhp and 8.79 ft lbs tq over stock!
- The third run is with our cold air intake and included restrictor installed in addition to our stock tune calibration - put down 415.69 rwhp and 376.85 ft lbs tq which is a gain of 13.13 rwhp and 6.37 ft lbs tq from the second run!
- With both the Steeda cold air intake with restrictor and our tune which is for a stock setup, the gains were 23.22 rwhp and 15.16 ft lbs tq over our stock pull!

Hope that helps!

Best Regards,

TJ

Thank you. Could you tell us what the PCM strategy is when it comes to high IATs?? And without going into details, do you change that strategy to be more aggressive/less conservative?
Old 09-16-2015, 08:38 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Hey TJ, we all know the dyno was probably run with the hood open and a giant fan blowing on it. Hardly real world conditions. Show us some back to back runs at the track and make believers out of us.

And what's your explanation for the higher iat's on these aftermarket CAI's?
Old 09-16-2015, 10:24 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmach
Hey TJ, we all know the dyno was probably run with the hood open and a giant fan blowing on it. Hardly real world conditions. Show us some back to back runs at the track and make believers out of us.

you already know the answer lol hood open with the aftermarket but still sucking radiator wash
Old 09-16-2015, 10:42 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkmach1
MY IATs are already thru the roof with stock intake. Plus, when do you see high IATs, in traffic? Will you be racing in traffic? No.

Plenty of dyno sheets on M6G showing gains over tune only. An aftermarket tune isn't as conservative as a stock tune in the timing pulled dept due to IATs. Also one good acceleration from a stop at 130* IATs and by the time you pass 60mph your IATs are back to slightly above ambient due to the air velocity. The timing pulled is short felt, if any at all.
I'm on M6G and haven't seen said dyno sheets. Not that I think they're important since dynos can be manipulated.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:40 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
you already know the answer lol hood open with the aftermarket but still sucking radiator wash
Yes hood open, remember you're simulating going between 40mph and 130mph WHILE STANDING STILL! of of course you will have a fan blowing and even then the fan velocity isn't anywhere near as strong as highway speeds.

I'm on M6G and haven't seen said dyno sheets. Not that I think they're important since dynos can be manipulated.
Search JLT CAI on there, Im not doing your work for you, Ive searched and I know the answer.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:44 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Duh its not real world conditions, highway air velocity rushed in much faster than that fan can put out. Do a pull with a stock intake after you let it get up to 120* IATs and then do a pull and watch the IATs drop like a rocket, doesn't take an hour to cool down or anything like that.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:52 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Search JLT CAI on there, Im not doing your work for you, Ive searched and I know the answer.
You do realize that the JLT intake requires a tune don't you? So yes there will be gains because of the TUNE ONLY. You cannot just slap on the JLT and run it.
Duh its not real world conditions, highway air velocity rushed in much faster than that fan can put out. Do a pull with a stock intake after you let it get up to 120* IATs and then do a pull and watch the IATs drop like a rocket, doesn't take an hour to cool down or anything like that.
No it's not. Not even close.

Riddle me this. How come none of these so called intake companies ever show any testing at the track?
Old 09-16-2015, 02:24 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

You do realize that the JLT intake requires a tune don't you? So yes there will be gains because of the TUNE ONLY. You cannot just slap on the JLT and run it.

Riddle me this. How come none of these so called intake companies ever show any testing at the track?
because the gains are inflated on the dyno in order to sell you what in recent years has become an unnessecary mod. some people just cant let go of the "i just got a new car, gotta get a CAI" mentality
Old 09-16-2015, 03:54 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Yes, the JLT does. But there are plenty of sheets that show a gain from tune only to intake and tune. roughly 10whp. Because they don't have to, it shows a gain on the dyno before and after, that's what the dyno is good for, seeing improvements from mods not comparing my dyno numbers to yours from across the country.

Originally Posted by jwog666
because the gains are inflated on the dyno in order to sell you what in recent years has become an unnessecary mod. some people just cant let go of the "i just got a new car, gotta get a CAI" mentality
There are 3rd party sheets showing the improvements not just Steedas or JLTs. btw I don't have an intake. I guess you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink, some are just too close minded.

Quick Reply: Tune with a stock air box