Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Tune with a stock air box

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 06:00 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

I updated my SCT X4 the other day and loaded a canned tune. Long story short, there is a difference at around 3500-4000. A noticeable difference. Finally went ahead and ordered tunes from Steeda but, with a stock intake. Unless there is some voodoo magic in it other than a velocity stack, there is no way you can convince me that an open element air filter under the hood, with radiator wash and the heat extractor vent right over it is drawing cooler air than a sealed box drawing air straight from behind the grill. I have evn seen some CAI's that are designed like the OEM air box but, with a clear lid so you can see the pretty little air filter inside. I have been wrong before, I am just not drinking the Kool Aid in 2015. To me it just looks like an under the hood flashy, shiny thiing at this point.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:23 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mapitts
I updated my SCT X4 the other day and loaded a canned tune. Long story short, there is a difference at around 3500-4000. A noticeable difference. Finally went ahead and ordered tunes from Steeda but, with a stock intake. Unless there is some voodoo magic in it other than a velocity stack, there is no way you can convince me that an open element air filter under the hood, with radiator wash and the heat extractor vent right over it is drawing cooler air than a sealed box drawing air straight from behind the grill. I have evn seen some CAI's that are designed like the OEM air box but, with a clear lid so you can see the pretty little air filter inside. I have been wrong before, I am just not drinking the Kool Aid in 2015. To me it just looks like an under the hood flashy, shiny thiing at this point.
bingo, the only numbers i keep seeing are being provided my the company selling the product. i seem to remember a company selling a metal "tornado" that you installed into your air inlet , they also provided numbers stating gains. however after independent testing, those were found to be false.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:42 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Like I said, there is always going to be a group that does not see or want the benefit of a CAI & that is fine ... there are plenty of people out there that see real world benefits. To the group above ... nothing that I can post or have posted can sway your opinion.

Having the hood closed defeats the purpose of getting the same air charge temps that you would have when the car is moving.

Since 2010 on a variety of Ford cars there is a scoop that feeds cool air from the front of the car into the intake air box.

That scoop keeps air temps near ambient anytime the car is in motion. The car being motionless on the dyno does not get the airflow that comes from that scoop.

Shop fans won't come anywhere near simulating the effect. Keeping the hood open is the only way we can come close to this effect and hence why we always test with the hood open.

I have asked my tuning dept. to weigh in on the IATs ... but that is only part of the equation.

For the many that we have sold, here is a quick recap of what the customers are saying:

GREAT CAI
Install complete and I can tell a nice difference even with the restrictor in. Thanks, David. Great CAI.

ED
WOW YOU WANT POWER WITH THIS CAI BY STEEDA YOU WILL GET IT EASY INSTALL GREAT PERFORMANCE BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK
GETTING 3-4 MPG BETTER MILEAGE

The CAI was easy to install and sounds great. Combined with the tune, the car pulls much harder in the mid to upper rev range. I have had no negative side affects. I am also getting 3-4 mpg better mileage as well. I am loving it!

Next up for me will be a set of Steeda springs and sway bars.

ALFONSO AYALA
It is a masterpiece!

Have had the luxury of getting my hands on this nice intake, along with the Steeda tunes, as soon as it arrived, gotta say its the best there is hands down. I waited months for this intake to arrive.

and it sounds amazing, GAINED HELLA GRUNT!! I can pretty much haul up grades with ease. Definitely a massive difference from stock. Install does take a little effort, but with anything good comes some work.

POWER GAINS ARE SURPRISING
I installed with restrictor, I'm still waiting on my tune via email. The power gains are surprising for just a CAI more power and torque and the car just seems louder. I can wait to see how she responds with the tune it going to be nuts! Install wasn't too bad and it looks great under the hood especially with the stickers

VERY PLEASED
Installed my intake (with restrictor) this afternoon. It was not difficult at all. I also bought the SCT-x4 and loaded the tune from SCT. I loaded the stock configuration as I had not installed the intake yet. Steeda says it will take a week or two to get their tune emailed to me.

I had an x-pipe and magnaflows installed previously. I left the sound tube for the moment.

I am very impressed with the intake and the SCT tune. My car sounds great and pulls much harder. The middle to the top of the rev range most notably. I only did a couple of short rides but am very pleased. I will put it through its paces in the morning on my 55 mile commute. I will also change the tune to the CAI config. and see if that makes any noticeable change.
- See more at: http://www.steeda.com/steeda-proflow....gR05iTq9.dpuf
Best Regards,

TJ
Old 09-17-2015, 08:52 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Here is the article Steve Turner did on the 2015 Unit - Click Here

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 09-17-2015, 10:01 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

^what??? The stock airbox is super sealed!! There's no way hot air gets in there at all! Btw I'm heading to the dealer so they can work on my IAT sensors, it has to be defective, a week ago i sat at the staging lanes for less than 20 minutes, hood closed and I saw 136* IAT. *end sarcasm*
Old 09-17-2015, 01:03 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

you do realize that the numbers listed in the pic in that article are not from the car that steve did the install on, they are from another car at another location that steeda owns and dynoed previously. at rest iat's wil always be high, no matter what intake u run, i want to see some data logs from a car driven on the street, that compares iat's on the same day, same ambient outside temp, from intake to intake, then i might change my opinion
Old 09-17-2015, 04:04 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Since I started this thread this is what I would like to see. I would like to see dyno runs with a 93 tune / stock air box, and then a run with a Steeda CAI /93 tune. I just cannot justify at this point, or clearly see why a CAI is going to give me that much more on a car that is going to be stock from here on out. $375ish is a lot for me to just pay out if the gains between the two are minimal. I am NOT throwing stones at Steeda or TJ. I am just looking at will work best for me. I would love to be able to give results on IAT's with and without a CAI but as often the case for me the cash tree seems to be picked a little thin. Hope all of that makes sense.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:18 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

It makes total sense. You want to spend your money wisely. A CAI is not a good investment since at best it's a lateral move.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:04 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

I loaded my Steeda 93 Octane tune and wow! I also kept up with my IAT's yesterday on little road trip and was astounded. A little long so bare with me. Yesterday when I left it was in the late afternoon with a ambient temperature of 90F. Around town, my IAT's were around 10-15 degrees above ambient. Out on the interstate @75-80 they were 3-6 degrees above. Coming home at home with a an ambient temperature around 75, on the interstate running 75-80 MPH they were 2-5 degrees above and at times the SAME. In town they fell to 3-6 degrees above. Unless a CAI works under the principle of just more air I think it is pretty much a no brainer for me. Just thought I would pass this along for those interested.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:08 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mapitts
I loaded my Steeda 93 Octane tune and wow! I also kept up with my IAT's yesterday on little road trip and was astounded. A little long so bare with me. Yesterday when I left it was in the late afternoon with a ambient temperature of 90F. Around town, my IAT's were around 10-15 degrees above ambient. Out on the interstate @75-80 they were 3-6 degrees above. Coming home at home with a an ambient temperature around 75, on the interstate running 75-80 MPH they were 2-5 degrees above and at times the SAME. In town they fell to 3-6 degrees above. Unless a CAI works under the principle of just more air I think it is pretty much a no brainer for me. Just thought I would pass this along for those interested.
bingo, the CAI cant get any lower than ambient temp, so temp will not be improved over the stock box. so at that point you can just swap out the stock filter, for a stock style K&N and you will save yourself hundreds to get the same performance like has been said, the numbers can be manipulated. also dont forget that 2-5 deg. could be colsed to 0 deg. difference depending on whether or not your thermometer is as accurate as your IAT sensor

Quick Reply: Tune with a stock air box