Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Tune with a stock air box

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 04:07 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Well well well. So much for that bad *** JLT CAI.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32413
Old 09-21-2015, 05:33 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

I'm trying figure out how much of an ET improvement/trap you're looking to get from a ~8-10hp intake. A stall which a much bigger mod shaves a couple tenths with little improvement to trap, in most cases it's all ET. I've got potentially bigger plans than an intake/tune so I'll will likely do the JLT.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:27 AM
retiredf5

Default 2015 GT 5.0 PP MT6

With 4500 miles on it and everything stock, no CAI, I bought a SCT x4, downloaded their updates for the 5.0 and did only the tune for the 93 octane.

The car is a DD and a relative conservative driver. Before tune, pulling 4th and 5th was lacking and with the tune, it pulls smoothly. Overall driving gives the feeling of the way it should have come out of the factory. No dyno done but the tune shop said conservativly, it added and extra 20+ hp.

Exhaust remains stock but may remove resonator and install an H pipe(have to find someone who has done it as I dont need the addition noise if it become excessive). CAI.... I have read, it simply adds bling and noise and possible poorer air filtration. Did add an oil can to the passenger side.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:50 PM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

Based on the info provided by Steeda, the best outcome is that you are going to pay ~$35 per pony (~$800 for the CAI and tuner netting a 23hp gain).
The question I have is what would a tune by itself ($400) yield similar gains?

It's too bad tuners aren't better about publishing their work. I'd love to know the following:
*Stock car
*stock car + tune
*CAI
*CAI + tune
*CAI + Catback
*CAI + catback + tune
*catback
*catback + tune
*catback + headers
*catback + headers + tune
*CAI + catback + headers
*CAI + catback + headers + tune

-assuming high flow cats in the headers

also - are any of the above combinations dangerous to the engine (ie an STi will get very unhappy if you do a downpipe and catback - it will run lean and you'll pop the engine unless you tune).

In my case my car already has a cat back and I plan to do headers and a dyno tune. I'm curious what the results are going to be.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:18 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

With the air boxes on newer GT's I suspect a tuner from a company with a good reputation is the most bang for the buck! Unless you are trying to get the last drop of power out, I suspect there is not a great deal of difference. I chose a "uncool" Edge Tuner because I have used them with Mustangs, gasoline trucks, diesels & have been happy with them! I'm using one with a 2012 Ecoboost with zero problems!

Forget CAI's on newer vehicles unless you want the "under the hood" sound of moving air! Yes, I know about the manufacturers tests!

Last edited by Mr. D; 09-23-2015 at 05:20 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:15 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Default 2014 DIB 3.7 w/ sport shift "Blue Cyclone"

No one mentioned MAF size increases, for stock MAF this is the way to go for 11-15 ponies.
Attached Thumbnails Tune with a stock air box-tn_upr-catch-can-007.jpg  
Old 09-23-2015, 08:18 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by audioAl
No one mentioned MAF size increases, for stock MAF this is the way to go for 11-15 ponies.
only if your stock MAF is close to being pegged by the airflow, or is a restriction, most are not. also a MAF swap to a larger size requires a tune, and the tune is what generates the extra HP not the MAF itself, all the MAF does is measure airflow, it can not create air flow
Old 10-16-2015, 08:49 AM
morbe

Originally Posted by mapitts
Just wondering if any one has tuned with a stock air box and what did you think of it compared to the tune with a CAI. From what I can dig up, a CAI may be a thing of the past. Any feedback is welcome. Just looking for a little more "punch".
A custom tune is the only thing that will give your mustang noticeable performance.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:03 PM
goldenglory18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by morbe
A custom tune is the only thing that will give your mustang noticeable performance.
By "Custom" do you mean "your car in a shop, on a dyno"? Or do you mean "tune from a shop" (like Bama?)

Funny this got brought up, because for years I've always wondered the same thing - the TUNE is the secret sauce, not the conical filter attached to a shiny elbow pipe....
Old 03-29-2016, 07:39 PM
Yours Truly

If you could sell a Mustang with 435hp, or sell one with 445hp just by changing 8 cents worth of plastic, which one is the marketing dept going to endorse? Hmmmm. (Taps finger on side of desk...) Hmmmmmm. Let me think...

Quick Reply: Tune with a stock air box