Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Tune with a stock air box

Old 09-08-2015, 06:38 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Default Tune with a stock air box

Just wondering if any one has tuned with a stock air box and what did you think of it compared to the tune with a CAI. From what I can dig up, a CAI may be a thing of the past. Any feedback is welcome. Just looking for a little more "punch".
Old 09-08-2015, 11:32 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

on the s550 the stock air box is about as good as it gets, the aftermarket designs offer no gains and are just expensive trimming. ford built a good intake
Old 09-10-2015, 10:25 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
on the s550 the stock air box is about as good as it gets, the aftermarket designs offer no gains and are just expensive trimming. ford built a good intake
I do believe that there are dyno sheets that show gains with intakes like the JLT, mostly towards the top of the powerband.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:32 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkmach1
I do believe that there are dyno sheets that show gains with intakes like the JLT, mostly towards the top of the powerband.
when combined with a tune, yes. but those gains are from the tune, they are pretty much selling the intake as snake oil
Old 09-15-2015, 04:07 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

when combined with a tune, yes. but those gains are from the tune, they are pretty much selling the intake as snake oil
I dont believe so, we agree to disagree.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:48 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkmach1
And you'd be wrong. An aftermarket CAI is useless. The stock one works better since the iat's won't be through the roof.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:05 PM
whatsup62
1st Gear Member

Well I think everybody is wrong...and right.
The stock airbox is top notch and with very few mods (catback and a tune) it would work fine...no gains from after market CAI. If you are planning on more mods (long tubes, more aggressive tune, cams, nitrous) a after market CAI would be needed and have gains. I went with a Airaid unit because I liked the looks of it and like the OEM it is enclosed. I did all my mods at once and plan on continuing the mod process.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:46 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

low IAT's are the way to go, the restriction is not an issue. if there was any MPG or performance to be gained by adjusting the plastic box ford would do it. an underhood exposed air filter that is not sealed away from the underhood air and radiator wash, ( i dont mean a piece of plastic with a rubber lip), it not only doesnt offer gains, it hurts performance. the thing to look out for with any aftermarket add on especially CAI's is this, when they dyno tested the unit was the hood closed? if not their numbers are not real world numbers. a dyno pull with the hood open vs the hood closed with an exposed air filter will be very different due to the hot air being drawn in from under the hood. this is how the inflated numbers for CAI's are come by. fact yay science
Old 09-15-2015, 08:20 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmach
And you'd be wrong. An aftermarket CAI is useless. The stock one works better since the iat's won't be through the roof.
MY IATs are already thru the roof with stock intake. Plus, when do you see high IATs, in traffic? Will you be racing in traffic? No.

Plenty of dyno sheets on M6G showing gains over tune only. An aftermarket tune isn't as conservative as a stock tune in the timing pulled dept due to IATs. Also one good acceleration from a stop at 130* IATs and by the time you pass 60mph your IATs are back to slightly above ambient due to the air velocity. The timing pulled is short felt, if any at all.

Last edited by darkmach1; 09-15-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:23 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

low IAT's are the way to go, the restriction is not an issue. if there was any MPG or performance to be gained by adjusting the plastic box ford would do it. an underhood exposed air filter that is not sealed away from the underhood air and radiator wash, ( i dont mean a piece of plastic with a rubber lip), it not only doesnt offer gains, it hurts performance. the thing to look out for with any aftermarket add on especially CAI's is this, when they dyno tested the unit was the hood closed? if not their numbers are not real world numbers. a dyno pull with the hood open vs the hood closed with an exposed air filter will be very different due to the hot air being drawn in from under the hood. this is how the inflated numbers for CAI's are come by. fact yay science
No car manufacturer gives you anything maxed out. Its like saying if there was any MPG or performance to be gained by adjusting the tune ford would have done it.

Last edited by darkmach1; 09-15-2015 at 08:37 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tune with a stock air box