Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Gt350 Brakes on a GT?

Old 12-07-2015, 10:31 AM
Wpieter

Post Gt350 Brakes on a GT?

Hi, I was wondering about the hardware needed to install GT350 rotors and calipers on my 2015 GT. I know I would need different hubs, and probably different lines, right? Also, there are several different GT350 hubs in the ford parts catalog, so which (if any) would fit? Thanks!
Old 12-07-2015, 10:20 PM
xenocide
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wpieter
Hi, I was wondering about the hardware needed to install GT350 rotors and calipers on my 2015 GT. I know I would need different hubs, and probably different lines, right? Also, there are several different GT350 hubs in the ford parts catalog, so which (if any) would fit? Thanks!
I wouldn't bother switching to them if you have the PP already, the rear brakes are an upgrade though.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:46 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Just get a gt350.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:57 PM
Wpieter

Nobody answered any of my questions. Anyone?
Old 12-17-2015, 09:23 AM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

I'm skeptical that this particular forum is going to be able to answer that.
What type of GT are you starting from? A base GT or one with the Performance Pack? The PP already has 6 piston Brembo's up front which happen to be excellent. The only real upgrades needed would be stainless steel brake lines, Motul RBF600 and maybe the JLT brake ducts (you'll lose your fog lights for these). That is the setup I'm running and it will provide excellent stopping power for an entire track day.

To make a GT stop faster you're going to need wider wheels to increase your contact patch size but you're still going to be weight limited.

In addition to wider wheels you could also look at buying the StopTech kit but you're talking about $5000+.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Do you actually track your car or are you just wanting to look cool? Research accordingly.

BTW - if you're starting from a base GT you'll need to also buy new wheels b/c the stock wheels won't clear the Brembos.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:23 PM
jcieutat
2nd Gear Member

Has anyone done this yet. I spoke to a dealership today about upgrading to the GT350 brake set up and he seemed to be very knowledgeable on the subject. He told me that it would require swapping out just about every component of the brakes to accomplish this. Wilwood also makes a replacement but when going that route you pretty much have to do the front and rear. It would cost around $4k but that upgrades the front and rear rotors and calipers. I would do it but then I have to stop and think that that is half of a supercharger....
Old 05-02-2016, 06:54 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Of course the bigger brakes will always be better, but unless you are racing I wonder if such an upgrade is that necessary. My supercharged GT comes down from 120 MPH (ONE TIME) pretty well. After that I assume fading would be a big problem on a track with repeated braking. As mentioned, maximum braking would require both the brakes & big tires of a GT 350. Seems like overkill unless you are racing on a track, or driving around on the streets like you are racing on a track!
Old 05-02-2016, 11:14 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

the gt 350 was designed to be a road race car, so the money you would invest to do the swap (if its possible) would be a waste unless you plan on road racing it. my stock (03) brakes can handle 2-3 100 mph stops then they are smokin. the newer brakes are much larger, so you should have more than enough to handle the occasional triple digit stop without an issue
Old 05-03-2016, 07:54 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by squishbang
I'm skeptical that this particular forum is going to be able to answer that.
What type of GT are you starting from? A base GT or one with the Performance Pack? The PP already has 6 piston Brembo's up front which happen to be excellent. The only real upgrades needed would be stainless steel brake lines, Motul RBF600 and maybe the JLT brake ducts (you'll lose your fog lights for these). That is the setup I'm running and it will provide excellent stopping power for an entire track day.

To make a GT stop faster you're going to need wider wheels to increase your contact patch size but you're still going to be weight limited.

In addition to wider wheels you could also look at buying the StopTech kit but you're talking about $5000+.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Do you actually track your car or are you just wanting to look cool? Research accordingly.

BTW - if you're starting from a base GT you'll need to also buy new wheels b/c the stock wheels won't clear the Brembos.

What he says in spades.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:26 AM
jcieutat
2nd Gear Member

For me, it is not about performance. It is purely for looks. Some people dump money into other waste less mods while I am looking to dump money into this one! I am just trying to figure out the least expensive route to take!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gt350 Brakes on a GT?