Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Stuck between GT & GT350 - Mod question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 04:49 PM
AeroPro

Default Stuck between GT & GT350 - Mod question

Hey all,

Potential new Ford buyer here. My family were always big on Mustangs - my uncle being the sole Mustang driver when he purchased a Steve McQueen GT back in 2007. I have just recently traded in my Dodge Challenger SRT8 and, to be honest, was quite weary when considering a Mustang.

I really like the rumble the 392 had and its straight-line power. I traded her in for practical purposes, however, as I had lived in Michigan and my winter vehicle has officially crapped out on me so I purchased a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I've recently moved to North Carolina and don't need a winter vehicle anymore. The reason I am considering a Mustang is I really like the sporty look of it. Don't get me wrong - I loved my Challenger, but I don't want to go with an old school look this time around. I've considered getting a Scatpack, but honestly the price is around $40,000+ at most dealerships and I want to try a Mustang.

Now, I'm a bit hesitant with a GT as I don't want it to feel less powerful than my former 2011 SRT 392 Challenger. I know it has less horsepower and a smaller motor, but with its weight loss I'm hoping it can match the 4.2/4.3 0-60 times I had in my old hemi. I understand the GT350 can hit the low 4s and is much more track-friendly, but most dealerships around here are charging $60,000+ for a GT350 and that isn't going to fit my budget. My dilemma is that I have now fallen in love with the look of the GT350!

I did stumble upon a site (http://andersoncomposites.com/collec...ng+2015?page=1) and was wondering if anyone has had success modding their stock performance GTs into something like a GT350? It appears as though I could pretty much cover everything, aside from paint, for under $4000 which would make more financial sense for me than paying $20,000-$30,000 more for the actual GT350. I know I'm missing out on about 90 or so HP and such, but I'm not too concerned with that.

Thoughts/opinions? Thanks guys.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:19 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

There is a GT350 forum where there are several new and slightly used 350's for near sticker or maybe 5000 over. With the advent of the 2017's coming, the current model will become more reasonable.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:25 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Default Another Mustang Choice

Depending on how much you need in "Track Handling", you might consider what I'm in the process of building right now. That is, the Mustang GT of your choice plus a Roush Supercharger installed by a Roush authorized mechanic. If you "order" a car & fight for prices with internet contacts, you can get a GT Premium with a Roush Supercharger at 670 HP for $45 to $47K. You can go with a standard trans. with the performance package, or as I am doing with an automatic transmission. The standard Mustang corners better than I need as is! I'm a straight line power guy that wants 670 HP besides the best ride possible & all the creature comforts of the auto trans., etc! This approach fits my needs better than a GT 350. It's all about what you want!
Old 03-15-2016, 03:21 PM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

End of they day you'll have a modified Mustang GT. If you do as Mr. D suggests you'll have a modified Mustang with 670HP. It won't be a GT350 and won't have the value of a GT350.
What makes the GT350 so hot is the Voodoo engine - it red lines at 8200 RPM and has a flat plane crank. It sounds completely different.
They also make a big deal out of the magnetic suspension but I'm not sold. I'd prefer a nice OHLINs setup with coilovers
The carbon fiber wheels though - I'd love to get ahold of those for my car. cutting un-sprung weight makes huge differences in the handling department.

Anyway - happy shopping.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:40 PM
AeroPro

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll probably go for a supercharged GT.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:44 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AeroPro
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll probably go for a supercharged GT.
Picking up mine tomorrow, Wed! Watch this space! I'll be in it about $45K! I don't track the car or road race, so I think it will be better for me that a GT 350!

A thought: For a guy with limited bucks a low mileage, super clean 3 or 4 year old 5.0L GT adding a Roush/Ford Racing Supercharger would make a great car a a very reasonable cost. Finding a clean used GT is the trick!