Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Picked Up My Roush Supercharged 2016 GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 12:28 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Default Picked Up My Roush Supercharged 2016 GT

I picked up my 2016 GT with the Roush Supercharger installed & I'm very, very surprised in how it performs! The '08 GT I put a supercharger on was nothing like this at all! First, you can't hear the supercharger on the '16 while the '08 whined loudly when it wound up. Roush supplies all parts you'd find on a GT 500 or Shelby so that you have a quality product that will retain its value. I expect to get back all the costs of the supercharger, etc. when I sell the car as I did when I sold my '08 GT. The power is so incredibly smooth it performs like I would expect a $120K Mercedes Benz AMG GT to perform. It is incredibly smooth & refined in putting down the power. The only difference after the supercharger is that everything moves by much, much, much faster. Yikes! My GT is an automatic & it feels about the same off the line until about 20 MPH & then the extra HP smoothly cuts in. You don't know the power is there at all... until you put your foot in it... & then watch your closing distances disappear like you are in a fighter jet!! The only thing frightening is how fast spaces between distant cars evaporate! I did just one 1/4 Mile run using the track apps & in the standard driving mode. It isn't even broken in yet, but I could resist! Frankly I think I let off the throttle before the 1/4 mile was up... because honestly it scared me a little! I was on a less than perfect desert road & it was pulling so strong when I let up it made me a more than a little nervous. Track apps showed 12.5 at 120 MPH with one run. That was "Funny Car Drag Strip speeds" when I was a kid! On the way to the Roush Tech it ran 13.8 in 109 MPH. That may not seem like a big change, but it is when you are behind the wheel. Rolling acceleration is were it is incredible! From 30 to "I get scared" it is amazingly fast & that's where I want the acceleration & power. I don't know if Roush modified the automatics shifting pattern in the tune, but it is as smooth as a luxury car. Down shifting seems no more harsh than before. When I got home with the car it just about dark so I didn't have much driving time. I think it will be amazing in sport mode because it will keep the rpm up more than in standard driving mode which is needed for the power band. Burn outs aren't my thing! Roush has done an amazing job at matching the 5.0L engine with the automatic transmission. It doesn't feel like an after market "hot rodded" Muscle Car. It feels like a high dollar, "high HP" AMG Mercedes or BMW GT. It's smooth, refined & very, very fast! It looks like the mileage is going to be amazing too! I wound up with a hell of a lot of car for only $45K!

I'll shoot some new pictures as I added a Roush windshield banner & put the Ford Racing Logo below the 5.0L Badge to show off! Yes, I admit I want to look cool at the local cruise nights with my "cheapy" American Super Car! If you are in SoCal I'll give you a recommendation where to get a Roush supercharger installed!

(P.S., the horrible stop & go traffic trying to get home at 5:30 PM after picking it up made me very happy I bought an automatic!)

Last edited by Mr. D; 03-24-2016 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:17 AM
JimC

Congratulations on the upgrade.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:55 AM
Kyle@ROUSH
Former Sponsor

Awesome ! Glad to hear you're liking it
Old 03-24-2016, 10:37 AM
1 Alibi 2
3rd Gear Member

Congrats on the upgrade, do you get a hand held with it ?
Any idea what 670 ( crank hp ) puts to the tires ? ( or did you get it dynoed )
Old 03-24-2016, 10:45 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Awesome car, that is one mod upgrade that really pays off in something you can actually feel and the great thing is that with Roush you retain the warranty. Enjoy.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:54 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2
Congrats on the upgrade, do you get a hand held with it ?
Any idea what 670 ( crank hp ) puts to the tires ? ( or did you get it dynoed )
No hand held. Qualified Roush Mechanics download the tune over the internet from Roush, or over night the ECU to Roush. My only "very minor" concern is if the computer dies in "One Stop Sign, North Dakota" & it needs to be replaced. Lot's of luck! Not very likely, but I'd like to have the tune on a hand held just for that unlikely issue. I've been told that you can't load the Roush Tune on a hand held because it is somehow blocked by Roush as a proprietary tune.

I don't know the HP to the rear wheels. Kyle would know more about that. Roush did an amazing job with the tune for both performance & driving safety. You don't get an unsafe amount of power off the line with an automatic which makes it safer for non gear heads to drive. You always have the "track apps" if you want to light them up big time & "sport mode" makes the power more available closer to a manual trans.

I ran it today with the top off the air filter cover & I could hear a little supercharger whine. I'm going to try it with & without the air filter cover. Sounds silly, but I miss the supercharger whine! I don't think performance could be much affected by leaving off the cover except possibly at high temperatures in very slow traffic. It seems at WOT the air temp should not be much different without the filter box cover due to air flow. The new air box design does make intake sounds much quieter & more refined. I'm trying it with & without the cover to the air box. It's nice to hear the exhaust too! On my '08 the supercharger drowned out the exhaust. The supercharger whine takes me back to '57 Chevys of my youth & their transmission whine due to how the gears were cut.

Now I have two sets of everything off an '08 & '16 GT when you install a supercharger with less than 1K miles on the manifolds, injectors, etc.! I need to find someone that can get a benefit from them! Maybe I'll run into someone rebuilding a 4.6L GT, or buying a wrecked '15 or '16. Fat chance of that! I can't just throw all that stuff away even though it's clogging up my garage! Problems, problems!

Last edited by Mr. D; 03-24-2016 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:42 AM
1 Alibi 2
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
No hand held. Qualified Roush Mechanics download the tune over the internet from Roush, or over night the ECU to Roush. My only "very minor" concern is if the computer dies in "One Stop Sign, North Dakota" & it needs to be replaced. Lot's of luck! Not very likely, but I'd like to have the tune on a hand held just for that unlikely issue. I've been told that you can't load the Roush Tune on a hand held because it is somehow blocked by Roush as a proprietary tune.

I don't know the HP to the rear wheels. Kyle would know more about that. Roush did an amazing job with the tune for both performance & driving safety. You don't get an unsafe amount of power off the line with an automatic which makes it safer for non gear heads to drive. You always have the "track apps" if you want to light them up big time & "sport mode" makes the power more available closer to a manual trans.

I ran it today with the top off the air filter cover & I could hear a little supercharger whine. I'm going to try it with & without the air filter cover. Sounds silly, but I miss the supercharger whine! I don't think performance could be much affected by leaving off the cover except possibly at high temperatures in very slow traffic. It seems at WOT the air temp should not be much different without the filter box cover due to air flow. The new air box design does make intake sounds much quieter & more refined. I'm trying it with & without the cover to the air box. It's nice to hear the exhaust too! On my '08 the supercharger drowned out the exhaust. The supercharger whine takes me back to '57 Chevys of my youth & their transmission whine due to how the gears were cut.

Now I have two sets of everything off an '08 & '16 GT when you install a supercharger with less than 1K miles on the manifolds, injectors, etc.! I need to find someone that can get a benefit from them! Maybe I'll run into someone rebuilding a 4.6L GT, or buying a wrecked '15 or '16. Fat chance of that! I can't just throw all that stuff away even though it's clogging up my garage! Problems, problems!
The main reason to keep a hand held in the car, is in case the computer looses it's mind.
So, how does Roush cover that, 24/7 tech support ?
Curious why Roush can't provide it's customers with a " locked " hand held of their choice ??
When do we get to see YOUR engine compartment ?

Last edited by 1 Alibi 2; 03-25-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:33 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2
The main reason to keep a hand held in the car, is in case the computer looses it's mind.
So, how does Roush cover that, 24/7 tech support ?
Curious why Roush can't provide it's customers with a " locked " hand held of their choice ??
When do we get to see YOUR engine compartment ?
Right Now! Don't you trust my word.... like some others around this forum???

I think that means would talk to you on the phone if you are stuck in "One Stop Sign" Montana! I wish Roush would loosen up on the tune. I suppose the chance of the computer going crazy is very small, but as I said it could be really bad in a very rural town 100 miles from a Ford Dealer. I had a small wiring problem with my Ford Ecoboost F150 & had to limp 80 miles to get to Ford Dealer. Then how long would it be to get a new computer flashed by Roush while you sit in a motel. Luckily I was pulling a travel trailer & I stayed just one day in Ford's back lot! Roush would be smart to offer a hand held "locked" to just one vehicle or supercharger.

I also put on the Roush Window Banner, the Roush/Ford Racing Logo below the 5.0 Logo & the Jack Roush 1/4 Window banner. It may be tacky, but it will get some attention & discussion at the cruise nights from the other "Old Pharts". With Triple Yellow, Racing Stripes & a supercharger I suspect I need to get real & admit I want to be noticed at cruise nights! If not I would have bought a Ford Edge... which I may do for my wife's car when prices go down.

I didn't have time yet, so I'm interested in how it performs in "Sport Mode" & with paddle shifting. I suspect it will feel far more responsive as the standard driving mode lets the RPM's get very low for economy & there is more supercharger lag. The upside is that the standard driving mode looks like it will give me great mileage. The problem with that is keeping your foot out of it! The automatic is certainly nice in a long period of stop & go traffic, & safer too. Interesting that both the fan & water pump continues on after you shut off the engine. I'm used to cooling fans running, but not a pump circulation of water. My take is when you spend the money for a Roush Supercharger you get more than just a bolt on supercharger. You get all the additional equipment you'd get on a Ford factory Shelby or GT 500 without that big investment. I think it is worth the extra investment. What " % " of the original investment you get back when you sell a Mustang is the issue rather than the total amount! I got 78% of my investment after 8 years on my '08 Mustang with the Roush Supercharger. I don't know how that would compare to an 8 year old Shelby???

Last edited by Mr. D; 03-25-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:38 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Damn, I'd guessed there would be blower whine. Looks cool though.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:25 PM
Bretstang06
1st Gear Member

Mr. D.. Congrats on your Roush install.. that is awesome. The Roush supercharger is on my list as a future upgrade. I am also a fellow So Cal, San Diego area, 2016 GT automatic owner and am very interested in how you enjoy your new found power and the driveability you experience in the coming months. I would also be interested in where you had your Roush supercharger installed. I had talked to my local Ford Roush dealer about supercharging my previous 2008 Shelby GT and they would barely give me the time of day and weren't interested in doing an installation but could sell me one through the parts department.
Enjoy your new found power and maybe I'll see you around a cruise night sometime..
thanks,
Bret

Quick Reply: Picked Up My Roush Supercharged 2016 GT