Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

2016 Mustang GT Prem with PP brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 04:35 PM
mibairho

Default 2016 Mustang GT Prem with PP brake noise

Please help! I bought a 2016 Mustang GT Prem with the Perf Pack at the end of June. At about 500 miles, while I was pulling into my drive way, I pushed the brakes and got a loud moan/vibration in the right front wheel (I believe). The car was warmed up, and I was coming back from work 25 miles away. The problem is, my first reaction is to let off the brake, and I barely missed crashing into my garage door. Not good! For the next 500 miles, in stop and go traffic same problem. The really embarrassing part was parking it in the underground parking structure and having a group of people say nice car. When I pulled into my spot, the loud moan/vibration happened. One guy said, that didn't sound good.

I read a couple forums and people advised the pads just need to seat to the rotors. I drove it hoping it would go away. No such luck.

I brought the car in to the dealer I purchased it from and the service writer told me he hasn't heard of any problems on the 2016's and very few 2015's had the problem. I left it there overnight, and was told the following day everything checked out ok. NOTHINGS wrong with the car and they could not duplicate the problem. They put 9 miles on the car, and my average miles per gallon went from 19 to 14. I guess they tried seat them from a higher speed.

Has anyone had the same problem and what did you do to fix it? I've had my phone ready, and have videotaped the sound/vibration. Hopefully they can do something and not make me feel like I'm crazy.

Note: the sound happens a lot when pulling into parking spots with the wheel turned at 5-10 mph. I'm worried if I let off the brakes when the sound happened, what will happen when my wife or daughter are driving it? Safety concern.

Other than the brakes and slow initial throttle response, the car is awesome and smooth.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 08-12-2016, 12:32 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

I would take it back to the dealer or take it to another Ford dealer.

Tell them to fix it!!

Have the service manager go for a ride with you.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:01 PM
mibairho

Thanks, that's definitely the plan.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:05 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by movielover40
I would take it back to the dealer or take it to another Ford dealer.

Tell them to fix it!!

Have the service manager go for a ride with you.
This right here ^^^^.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:09 PM
mibairho

Dropped it off at the dealer just now. Scary thought mechanic driving it to get it to duplicate noise. I showed the service writer 7 days of video with the noise. He didn't care and wouldn't put in the customer complaint section I showed him several videos. I understand they need to test drive it, just sucks thinking of him burning up my clutch and tires. I'm a meticulous person with my car. Wish us luck.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:30 PM
mibairho

Got a call last night, they duplicated the sound and contacted Ford's techs. They were instructed to replace the pads and turn the rotors. Unfortunately, pads will need to be ordered and won't be in until sometime later today.

My question is this, at 500 miles, I took it into the dealer for the noise. Does turning the rotors make them more susceptible to warping? Obviously, the life of them will be reduced and is that fair to me? Should Ford have to replace the rotors too? Just want to be fair?
Old 09-21-2016, 01:50 PM
mibairho

It's been close to a month and no noise!!
Old 09-23-2016, 05:30 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Posting Error

Last edited by Mr. D; 09-23-2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:42 PM
qbuswell
2nd Gear Member

When my 2016 PP Gt was new the brakes squeaked a lot. After driving hard a few times and going to an open track event I think they finished braking in and no more noise.