Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Standard GT Suspension Limitations

Old 08-21-2016, 02:10 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Default Standard GT Suspension Limitations

Standard GT Suspension Limitations - I was reminded that I don't have a GT 350 today when I took a winding desert road home. (Are you reading this Barstowpo?) I had a need for speed & ran it up to 120 mph (or so) through some moderate curves & noticed that it held the road just fine... but I could feel it compressing the suspension on the side going into the curves a bit! I guess it's not a GT 350! At 120 mph it was still pulling like a freight train & felt like it was just beginning to put out the power.... but I had more brains... than guts, .... so I backed off & had lobster tails for dinner!

Last edited by Mr. D; 08-21-2016 at 02:14 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:03 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Are you on stock suspension with stock base wheels/tires? If so then, nothing some suspention wont fix. And some wheels/tires to help with traction through curves. My springs helps a bunch.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:05 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Making power turns at 120 mph isn't something I need to do, so I don't want to stiffen the suspension. I was just commenting on where a performance pack or GT 350 suspension comes into use. My car has the power to run tremendous speeds & acceleration in straight lines, but in high speed power turns you notice the handling suffers... to enjoy the softer ride of a standard GT around town. I made that choice clearly buying a standard GT suspension with 235/50R/18 tires. I still prefer that, but it sure can't compete with the competition suspensions.

Does anyone have any special knowledge about a top quality set of shocks Bilsteen/Koni/etc. that might actually improve both ride quality & handling at the same time with no comfort downside?
Old 08-23-2016, 12:35 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Koni sells a nice set of shocks (coworker will be swapping to these on his PP GT), also FRPP sells a set that from what I hear is slightly better/improved than what the PP GT comes with.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:30 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Mr. D
Making power turns at 120 mph isn't something I need to do, so I don't want to stiffen the suspension. I was just commenting on where a performance pack or GT 350 suspension comes into use. My car has the power to run tremendous speeds & acceleration in straight lines, but in high speed power turns you notice the handling suffers... to enjoy the softer ride of a standard GT around town. I made that choice clearly buying a standard GT suspension with 235/50R/18 tires. I still prefer that, but it sure can't compete with the competition suspensions.

Does anyone have any special knowledge about a top quality set of shocks Bilsteen/Koni/etc. that might actually improve both ride quality & handling at the same time with no comfort downside?
If you upgrade your suspension you will need better tires. Stiff suspension with undersized or not so sticky tires (all seasons) leads to very temperamental handling at the limits as in one second you are cruising through a turn and the next you are sliding with little heads-up that you were nearing the limit/passing it.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:53 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

I think anything you do to increase handling will compromise your ride somewhat. It is all a trade off. A good set of tires can work wonders and a quality spring/shock combo can as well. Bilstein or Koni's are both good choices. You could also go with adjustable shocks but I'm not sure you want to tinker. I really like the 350's electronically adjustable steering and shocks.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:17 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

What I would be looking for is a set of shocks that makes the Mustang ride better more than better competitive handling. Of course it would be nice to get an improvement in both.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:42 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

I think slightly stiffer suspension makes for a better ride on the S550s. Stock suspension is a bit floaty specially on uneven surfaces, feels like a 90s cadillac kind of.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:30 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

Remember Mr. D is old. He probably likes the float. Makes it more Buick like.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:33 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by barstowpo
Remember Mr. D is old. He probably likes the float. Makes it more Buick like.
That's cold!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Standard GT Suspension Limitations