Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

How "BIG" Tires affect Traction Control?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 04:26 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Default How "BIG" Tires affect Traction Control?

How will "Big Tires" affect Traction Control on a 670 HP Automatic? Will the TC allow more, & more power to the

What are the widest 18 or 19" tires & wheels that will fit under the rear of 2016 GT?
Old 11-16-2016, 06:40 AM
User 92421
IN JAIL!

If you are increasing width, traction will remain relatively the same, up for debate. but traction control will have the same function and as such will only apply during a detected wheel spin, which leads me to point #2, If you have big (tall) tires on the back and smaller or original on the front your traction control is going to see the rpm difference of the tires as a spin or lack of traction. this situation is going to cause issues(probably rationality dtc's) which may either disable traction control or apply the brakes at inopportune times. As long as front and rear diameter remain equal to each other yyou shouldn't see any trouble with traction control.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:56 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Thanx for the response TRamsdell. You can't be the same TRamsdell with no barbs towards me!

Where I was going with the question is... will wider tires allow the TC to send more power to the rear axle.

I'm assuming that TC detects wheel spin & reduces power to the rear axle. With 670+ HP I have tremendous acceleration from 40 MPH to "chicken out" speeds when paddle shifting down a couple of gears with the auto trans & nailing it.... BUT 0 to 60 times are about 4.3 seconds which is not impressive compared to 40 to 125 MPH times. So will wider tires of the same diameter improve 0 to 60 times substantially? To my mind reducing wheel spin should allow more power to the rear wheels off the line. I'd like to know before investing in wider wheels & tires.

P.S. Anyone know the manufacturer of stock 2016 GT 18" wheels? I'd like to keep the stock wheels as they really hide brake dust compared to others & they keep the stock parts. It will be a classic car with original wheels 30 years after I'm dead! Yikes! (See wheels below.)
Old 11-17-2016, 05:51 AM
User 92421
IN JAIL!

Originally Posted by Mr. D
Thanx for the response TRamsdell.

Where I was going with the question is... will wider tires allow the TC to send more power to the rear axle.

this is the controversial part because experts all disagree on wider tire making more traction in a straight line, many tests with contact patch have been done it kind of seems that the wider the tire, doesn't equal greater traction. that said, If you install tires with better traction then your t/c will certainly allow you to put it down. t/c is only going to apply during a detected slip which is wheel speed based. so if you have actual traction the brakes will not be applied.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:17 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

It sounds like a "stickier" tire might make as much sense as a "wider" tire. Any recommendations for a "sticky" street tire? I don't drive the Mustang much, so life of the tire isn't a major issue as long as it is not ridiculously short. i think I'd like to put the widest, "sticky" tire that will fit on the stock rim. Competition is not an issue, but just improving 0 to 60 times.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:54 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by Mr. D
It sounds like a "stickier" tire might make as much sense as a "wider" tire. Any recommendations for a "sticky" street tire? I don't drive the Mustang much, so life of the tire isn't a major issue as long as it is not ridiculously short. i think I'd like to put the widest, "sticky" tire that will fit on the stock rim. Competition is not an issue, but just improving 0 to 60 times.
Check out the Nitto 555G2. Much "stickier" than the stock tires.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:57 PM
jc5057
1st Gear Member

MR D I have the same set up as you the ROUSH 670 KIT on a 2015 mustang gt automatic.
I have Magna flow cat back competition exhaust and that is it. I can answer all your question. My GT came with the optional 20 inch wheels so keep that in mind as I explain..

As for 0 to 60 time and 1/4 mile it will not get any faster until you scrap the roush tune and go with another. The roush tune does not give you all the power you think it is very conservative very and I know it too well . Mine is still Roushed tune but will change it later after I upgrade half shafts and drive line. with the roush tune it WILL not break any parts and I can vouch for that I have 305 width tires and it has not broken anything its too conservative to do that. when you get another tune it will be 100 percent power

AS for tires I have 305 35 20 on the rear and if you go bigger you have to have the dealership set up rev per mile. if not the torque management in the pcm will think the tires are spinning and when you drive it the car feels sluggish. Ask me how I know it happened to me until I took it to dealership to have them set the pcm to the correct rev per miles for the rear bigger tires

In the summer when tires are hot and the road is I like to drive with advance track off. turns off all the nannies and traction control. the bigger tires stick very well and you feel the car put you in the seat and the hood come up.

with the stock 265 35 20 tires on the rear and same with advance track off felt like I was slipping on grease the smaller tires don't grip like the bigger 305 with 670 HP and the bigger tires will not break your half shafts or drive line or tranny you have a ROUSH tune that prevents that. Different tune yeah you better have upgrades. I drive mine hard and its holding up like a swiss watch
Old 12-04-2016, 10:27 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

What are you gonna do, widen your stockers? Just find some brushed aluminum performance pack wheels from 16-17 GTs and get a 285 tire out back. No tire in the 245 18" range you have will help you. A 2015 GT won't be a highly desired car 30 years from now lol, a gt350 likely but not a GT.

Last edited by darkmach1; 12-04-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:35 AM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

Stickier is better but I still believe wider is better as well. If you can achieve the same diameter, you will not have any re-calibration issues.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:40 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Some Michelin pilot SS in the 275 to 285 will help you. After 305 IMO you're just wasting money or doing it for looks, no need for something that wide.

Last edited by darkmach1; 12-04-2016 at 04:06 PM.