Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Headers to Tips Exhaust Setup Question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 03:14 PM
Steak n' Taters

Default Headers to Tips Exhaust Setup Question(s)

First off, hey guys! Posted this same question in another forum I used to frequent back in the day but it seems the forum has pretty much died off.

Anyway here's the deal. Just picked up a 2016 GT and i'm looking to get rid of the pathetic excuse for an exhaust. I've had 2 mustangs previously and done catback's but never headers; mostly because I prefer doing everything myself and I don't think I have the skill let alone a lift to do them. So i'm looking to you guys for advice, and criticism.

Found a dope sound clip of the below setup (without CAI) on YouTube and immediately fell in love. Sounds so good. The reason for the CAI is simply that I don't want to immediately turn around and fork over $450 for a custom tune done locally. Figured I could spend the $784 for the CAI/Tuner and use a "custom" AM tune for however long until I decide to get it dyno tuned. Do you guys think that's a good idea?

This is what I was looking at doing:

1: Kooks Long Tube Catted Headers 1 - 7/8" x 3"

2: Corsa "Xtreme" Cat-Back Exhaust

3: Of course the obligatory CAI adding 500HP; C&L Street CAI & Bama X4 Tuner

Should add that I have factory + extended warranty and am curious if this would void them. I imagine after installing new tune it would. Would the car still perform if I switched back on the factory tune for warrantied repairs etc?
Old 01-23-2017, 06:53 PM
Jekyl

ive actually been doing research on headers today and as far as diameter for the primarys they say go with the 1 3/4" diameter. they recommend doing 1 7/8" only for 900hp+ setups. http://www.americanmuscle.com/header...fferences.html

my end game is for a turbo, so i was looking up everything i needed for such. dont plan on exceeding 900hp...or so i say..so i guess the 1 3/4 headers w/o cats are perferred..someone correct me if im wrong

for exhaust...check out solo performance exhaust. i put the mach thunder cat back on my gt and it sounds amazing. no drone either.

good luck!
Old 01-23-2017, 07:12 PM
Steak n' Taters

Thanks for the link man. That was a good read. Still i'm curious what experience people have had with the aforementioned mods and their warranties.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:03 AM
1 Alibi 2
3rd Gear Member

If you run an aftermarket tune, it can void your warranty.
Switching back to the stock tune does nothing, Ford can tell it was tuned !!
......( something I never worried about on either car )
Old 01-24-2017, 12:45 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Steak n' Taters
Thanks for the link man. That was a good read. Still i'm curious what experience people have had with the aforementioned mods and their warranties.
If you remove/replace a factory part with an aftermarket part, the warranty for that part becomes void because it is no longer a factory part. So, for exhaust, you will void the factory and extended warranties for the exhaust. If your rear end fails, you still have coverage on it. A tune is a little more involved. Any failure or fault with that is found to be related to your mod can void the warranty. In this case, your engine warranty. If/when you get a tune, make certain its from a reputable place like any of the forum sponsors.

And yes, as Alibi mentioned, Ford can tell when a tune has been put in/removed. Starting in 2011 Ford lets the PCM remember that type of stuff so no amount of pulling the battery and letting it sit for x number of days or returning it to OEM will erase that and it will raise questions.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:22 AM
Steak n' Taters

Originally Posted by Derf00
If you remove/replace a factory part with an aftermarket part, the warranty for that part becomes void because it is no longer a factory part. So, for exhaust, you will void the factory and extended warranties for the exhaust. If your rear end fails, you still have coverage on it. A tune is a little more involved. Any failure or fault with that is found to be related to your mod can void the warranty. In this case, your engine warranty. If/when you get a tune, make certain its from a reputable place like any of the forum sponsors.

And yes, as Alibi mentioned, Ford can tell when a tune has been put in/removed. Starting in 2011 Ford lets the PCM remember that type of stuff so no amount of pulling the battery and letting it sit for x number of days or returning it to OEM will erase that and it will raise questions.

That's good to know. Had no idea.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:02 AM
tcuallstar
4th Gear Member

it also wont run right untuned with longtubes.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:44 PM
huntiez
1st Gear Member

i work at a gm dealer and yes own a ford jajajajaja get a back up ecu
and and mod that one do not mod the original one it show so if any problems
u throw it back it and show un flashed and the mileage is saved on the bcm not the ecu i learned this from our main tech.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:57 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Don’t do a Bama tune. Corsa extremes are gonna be loud AF.

To the other guy wanting to go turbo, don’t waste money on headers.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:58 AM
phat_nos_rat
1st Gear Member

Hello, I went with Kooks 1 3/4" Long tubes with high flow cats, Ford x-pipe, to Legatto Mufflers. The sound outside of the car is amazing but the drone inside the car at 55mph in 6th gear is absolutely horrible. I am going to make some changes in the near future. I wonder what would it sound like if I put the resignator back on it?