Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

On the right track?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 12:46 PM
Jekyl

Default On the right track?

Hey guys, novice here doing my research and I have a few questions. At the end of the day I'm looking to turbo my GT. But that's in the future not right now, but I do want to make sure that I'm starting off on the right foot with buying the right parts. As of now I have a catback exhaust only. My next project is to get long tube 1 3/4in offroad headers, possibly the 350 intake manifold (yes or no? Necessary? Thoughts?) and a lund intake manifold tune integrated with ghost cam. I've read a few threads about the aftermarket CAI and most seem to be in favor of the stock CAI. Am I going in the right direction as far as the intake and exhaust setup for a turbo in the future?

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2017, 02:44 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

You didn't say what year your car is. If you are going turbo, don't mess with any other intakes as the kits will be designed for the stock setup. Why turbo and not a supercharger with a warranty? Superchargers make power from idle and the so called parasitic drag is not that much of deal at 650+hp.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:42 PM
Jekyl

2016. turbo..just preference. I've always been a fan of the turbos. And most mustangs I've seen have superchargers..and for a good reason I'm sure, but I like being different (as long as its not detrimental to the car.)

Good to know about the stock CAI with the turbo setup.

As far as my shopping list, does anything standout as unnecessary or a wrong part?

recommend the gt350 intake manifold?
Old 01-25-2017, 08:25 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Assuming you have a professional dyno tune, the gt350 intake would be fine. My point about mixing and matching intakes and throttle bodies is that if you buy a "turbo kit" with a tune it will be designed for the stock engine and may not account for the increased flow of an alternate setup.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:01 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Turbos need back pressure to work properly.

If you go turbo leave exhaust stock.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:12 AM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jekyl
but I like being different
If you want to truly be different, you could be the first to twincharge a coyote motor.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:24 PM
jeskam

You'll be wasting money buying headers since you'll be replacing them when you hang that snail on each side.. unless of course you're going with some sort of remote set up. Ditto on the intake comments.. it will all need to be changed out when you do the turbo set up.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:29 PM
jeskam

As a second note... if I were planning on doing any sort of serious power adder in the distant future, I'd focus on things that will need to be upgraded then but can be done now piecemeal at a lower cost.. you'll want to stiffen just about everything.. from suspension and engine/trans mounts and upgrading the clutch and flywheel prior to 'charging of any kind will save you from being marooned on the side of the road a week after you finish your install and can't keep your foot out of the gas.... more power/twist is going to equal a sloppy shift somewhere in the range so stiffening that shifter linkage/trans will help quite a bit as well.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:54 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

If turbo is for sure, leave the car as is, get a tune if you must have some added power, just use the same tuner that you will use when you go turbo. Add some suspension pieces like springs, cradle lockout, bushings,etc. Then save for the kit you want. Don't get headers as those will have to go. Don't bother installing a 1000 dollar intake manifold, the turbo will go 800-900 easily on the stock mani. Leave your catback on there if you like the sound, won't hurt your future setups as others have said.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:39 AM
Jekyl

Leave everything mostly stock?? thats going to be tough to do..ok so now i may be leaning towards the supercharger haha thanks for your input guys! good info!