Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

2017 Snow Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 07:27 AM
Aaron Marga

Default 2017 Snow Tire Question

I know it's late in the season to talk snow tires, but they say the best time to buy them is in April. However, I have my old Challenger snows lying around which were 235/55-18's. My 2017 Mustang GT comes stock with 235/50-18's. I'll confess, I'm a bit of a newb on this, but my much more mechanically inclined buddy tells me they'll fit (make sense to me dimensionally) and just throw the speedometer off ~3% (2MPH @ 60) (also makes complete sense).

I more or less want to verify he's not wrong or if anyone else spins around in a GT in the winter. I will say, you're unlikely to convince me to get a beater as the money people want for their hunk of junk is ridiculous here.

I appreciate the help!
Old 03-22-2017, 09:05 AM
Aaron Marga

I will note - I have seen people use 235/55/18's in other threads, albeit, not the latest iteration of the Mustang. I've also heard difficulties getting a shop to perform this, is there any truth to that?

Also - I realize other threads have documented the snow driving in GTs, so I apologize for potentially doubling up on the threads. I know that's a fairly lazy no-no in car forum communities and I'll do better next time - ha!
Old 03-22-2017, 10:13 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Personally I drive my Mustang year round in Michigan with all season Michelins on it.

I've never used winters.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:25 AM
Aaron Marga

I know Michigan gets a decent bit of snow too, Western NY (my families home area) gets a bit more I would think. I might consider it, if I didn't just have these laying around anyways with no resale value really at all on snow tires (in general).
Old 02-14-2018, 02:21 PM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

Bring back this dead thread...
I've Brigestone Blizzak's on my 2010 and what a difference they make in the snow! As long as you're light on the throttle and leave plenty of space between you and the next guy, you'll do just fine!
Old 02-14-2018, 03:06 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Originally Posted by Aaron Marga
I know it's late in the season to talk snow tires, but they say the best time to buy them is in April. However, I have my old Challenger snows lying around which were 235/55-18's. My 2017 Mustang GT comes stock with 235/50-18's. I'll confess, I'm a bit of a newb on this, but my much more mechanically inclined buddy tells me they'll fit (make sense to me dimensionally) and just throw the speedometer off ~3% (2MPH @ 60) (also makes complete sense).