Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

To Make Sure Everyone Knows You Got A 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 11:22 PM
roccodstang

That looks awesome!! I can't wait! I just hope Ford gets the bugs worked out before they release the 5.0.

P.S. Are we sure this is a "Mustang site?" I'm just asking because it's so s l o w .

Last edited by roccodstang; 06-18-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:33 AM
SMiller
2nd Gear Member

remind me or send me to a link that has the Coyote motor info, would like to learn more, Ford already has it in other cars in Ausie or somewhere right?
Old 06-19-2009, 12:37 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nj07
hell we should be bitter we don't have 83 conv. with a 5.0, it makes me sad.
Well said . If you knew anything about the significance and rarity of an '83 GT convertible you wouldn't open your mouth. Alas like many(not all) S197 owners, you are probably new to the Mustang game and know very little about previous generation Mustangs.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:09 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I agree with the poster on the first page.......I'd rather see a 302 (or 304 or whatever the Coyote is) badge on the fender than a 5.0. But, it won't happen. Carmakers seem to have avoided CID badges like a plague during the last 20+ years or so. Guess that means I'll have to have some custom shinies made for mine.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:25 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
I agree with the poster on the first page.......I'd rather see a 302 (or 304 or whatever the Coyote is) badge on the fender than a 5.0. But, it won't happen. Carmakers seem to have avoided CID badges like a plague during the last 20+ years or so. Guess that means I'll have to have some custom shinies made for mine.
I say save the 302 badge for a Boss 302. Plus how could Ford not miss out on this marketing opportunity. Most people know "5.0," but very few know "302."

Plus, I've never in my life seen a Ford with its CI displacement on the front fender (Besides the Boss cars, which said "Boss xxx"). Not sure it would look right.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:18 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I'm still curious about the actual specs on this motor. Everyone assumes it's a 302, but it could be a anywhere from a 300 to a 305 for all we know. Not that it matters, really.....but I think it plays a part in whether or not we'll see Ford trying to cash in on the Boss 302 moniker in the near future. Kinda retarded to make a Boss 302 out of a Mustang packing a 305 CID motor me thinks.

And while I do want to see the return of the Boss, I'm not so sure how it would fit into the upcoming drivetrain lineup. A 3.7 base model.........a 5.0 GT.......and a s/c'd 5.4 GT500. Looks like the only place for the Boss would be as a suspension/power/appearance package for the GT. Not so sure how much the gearheads would like that. But I think it would work, considering that it being a package rather than a limited production car would make it more accessible price-wise. Give it a functional ram air hood (no shaker please, something original), fully worked performance suspension, the GT500's Brembo's, Watt's link rear setup, a decent little HP bump over the GT (direct injection would be a nice bonus also), 3.73 rear standard, some reworked contemporary Magnum 500's, and a tastefully executed classic Boss blackout trim look.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:26 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Actually I just hope Ford stops using alignment holes, so people like me can just remove the badges.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:39 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

I'm still curious about the actual specs on this motor. Everyone assumes it's a 302, but it could be a anywhere from a 300 to a 305 for all we know. Not that it matters, really.....but I think it plays a part in whether or not we'll see Ford trying to cash in on the Boss 302 moniker in the near future. Kinda retarded to make a Boss 302 out of a Mustang packing a 305 CID motor me thinks.

And while I do want to see the return of the Boss, I'm not so sure how it would fit into the upcoming drivetrain lineup. A 3.7 base model.........a 5.0 GT.......and a s/c'd 5.4 GT500. Looks like the only place for the Boss would be as a suspension/power/appearance package for the GT. Not so sure how much the gearheads would like that. But I think it would work, considering that it being a package rather than a limited production car would make it more accessible price-wise. Give it a functional ram air hood (no shaker please, something original), fully worked performance suspension, the GT500's Brembo's, Watt's link rear setup, a decent little HP bump over the GT (direct injection would be a nice bonus also), 3.73 rear standard, some reworked contemporary Magnum 500's, and a tastefully executed classic Boss blackout trim look.

Here something I saw at Galpin Ford

Last edited by wilkinda; 10-27-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:16 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Olythekid
It wasn't really the insurance as much as it was the new emission standard. We talking 1973 here, the original SD was said to pull 370HPs (same numbers as 70s 400 blocks), but they couldn't pass emission. So they put a smaller cam, and ended up with 290HP.
My 455 is not a SD, just a regular 455, 250HP-370TQ <sight> My car have a non restored matching number stock engine, 140,000 miles and runs 14.5 1/4 mile. Needs a rebuild but geezbus ... talk about strong. Due to the small cam, just replacing the cam and buying Edelbrock heads will bring from 250 to 440HP at the cranck. Not bad.

The insurance thingy was with the 67, or maybe the 70. Pontiac installed a "block" under the gas pedal that prevented u from going WOT, thus limiting the HPs. All u had to do was to remove it. The things u could get away with in those days lol

As for our Mustang ... they should put the FR 521 hehe
Thanks for clearing all that for me...
Lol @ the block under the gas pedal.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:39 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

See this is exactly what I think the Boss 302 should be. The Boss 302 was never really about the power as it was not exactly the fastest thing on the street in its day. Maybe just a few more horsepower then the stock 5.0.

Limited production with some weights savings, an aggressive suspension package (think Shelby GT w/a Watts link) and some GT 500 brakes would be perfect in my eyes. Along with the necessary appearance mods of course.

Quick Reply: To Make Sure Everyone Knows You Got A 5.0