Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

'10-'11's Rear End

Old 02-10-2010, 10:02 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by 2010V6Stang
I think our stock antennas are nicer then that one, its too short and stubby. But I would be interested to see pic on your car when it comes in.
It's actually on the car. I just haven't taken a pic of it yet... when I get off these 12 hour days I will try. Right now it's dark when I leave for work and dark when I return
Old 02-10-2010, 11:08 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

I was on vacation the night speed channel had the 'reveal', stayed up late to watch it...the next day, called back home to the dealer to order one...a 09 that is.

some love it some dont...to me the Mustang NEEDS three vertical taillamps, but the upswept bottom with 4 backup lights...well, just a bit too modern or whatever you want to call it to me. the black cladding is a bit overwhelming to me too- and I painted the lower trim line on my 06 black...just to me its now a bit too much. From every other angle, the car is a mustang from a mile away...more modern, yes, but recognizably a mustang- but when the first 10s showed up on the roads, had to do a doubletake...far as I can recall a Mustang has never before had upswept taillamps/4 backups/ or chamferred bumpers...its not bad looking, neither was the 2004, but just not what I was looking for...I did a quick photochop a while back, just to see what flatttening the lights and thinning the black would do, its rough, but squint a little and you get the idea...something a little more like this to me is a more traditional look, even with the chamferred bumper and 4 backup lamps...just tossing it in for comments
Attached Thumbnails '10-'11's Rear End-changed10.jpg  
Old 02-11-2010, 12:04 AM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

I think your rendition looks good. I would like those better than the current ones. In response to your comment that the Mustang has never had lights like this before, "far as I can recall a Mustang has never before had upswept taillamps/4 backups/" I agree, but it has had some weird variations. The Fox bodies, the Mustang II, the 71-73, they all had some weird variations and even strayed from the 3 lens originals. The closest to the originals thus far has been ours the 05-09.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:52 AM
Matafy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rum
The rear is perfect with a little work.

Your '10 looks effin amazing! Mad props, how much did all that cost you?
Old 02-11-2010, 06:41 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
I was on vacation the night speed channel had the 'reveal', stayed up late to watch it...the next day, called back home to the dealer to order one...a 09 that is.
Me too! Except I saw a spy photo on the internet. When I saw the 4 backup lights between the brake lights, I went right out and bought my 08.

Originally Posted by ford4v429
some love it some dont...to me the Mustang NEEDS three vertical taillamps, but the upswept bottom with 4 backup lights...well, just a bit too modern or whatever you want to call it to me. the black cladding is a bit overwhelming to me too- and I painted the lower trim line on my 06 black...just to me its now a bit too much. From every other angle, the car is a mustang from a mile away...more modern, yes, but recognizably a mustang- but when the first 10s showed up on the roads, had to do a doubletake...far as I can recall a Mustang has never before had upswept taillamps/4 backups/ or chamferred bumpers...its not bad looking, neither was the 2004, but just not what I was looking for...I did a quick photochop a while back, just to see what flatttening the lights and thinning the black would do, its rough, but squint a little and you get the idea...something a little more like this to me is a more traditional look, even with the chamferred bumper and 4 backup lamps...just tossing it in for comments
Your improvement looks great! You should send it to Ford for consideration! The reverse lights still need to be reconfigured though.

I am surprised that an aftermarket company hasn't come out with a tail light/bumper upgrade combo yet. They would sell a lot of them! I guess the design/engineering of a new rear would be expensive.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:53 AM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

I dont like those flat lights at all, maybe if you changed the reverse lights but I think the stockers look better. Also I get a kick out of people always says that aftermarket places should make whole new rears for the 10s and up, but really the only people who want new rears are those who dont own 2010s! Im sure its expensive, and there probably isnt a huge market for it. Its not like if someone comes out with a new rear suddenly everyone is going to go by a 10. Please dont tell me thats the reason you wont buy a new car because thats just ridiculous.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:12 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

I didn't like the rear end of the 2005 GT I had but I bought it anyways. I certainly would not have turned down the chance to own one just because of it. I always thought the rear was flat and boring. I grew to like the rear of the 2010 and definitely prefer it over the '05 - '09. Salesman at one dealer in Tampa tried to get me to buy an '09... I tild him buying an '09 was just buying the same exact car I was driving..just less miles. They were discounting the car almost $7k but i just didn't want it. I am more than happy with the overall style / performance changes in the 2010 over the previous S197 style.

It's all opinions and impressions guys. Either you like it or you don't. Not sure why those that don't like it think that Ford or some after-market company NEEDS to fix it just because they don't like it.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:35 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

ford4v429's 'shop would be awesome if a company made that light and bumper combo. That looks 1000000x better and more "mustang." Instead, the new tail lights look too much like what everyone else is doing with cars making the lights all curvy and swooping. Blah.

The 05-09 rear, if you compare it with a pic of a 60's mustang rear looks 10000000x more similar than the 2010/2011. I will say the rest of the 2010/2011 looks more like the old ones though.

Styling for some reason really went downhill big time after the 60's. I still hate how all cars now, and for a long time, have plastic bumper COVERS instead of real chrome bumpers like they used to. These plastic covers makes the whole thing look cheap. Even the metal used in the body doesn't have that same shine to it that it used to so many years ago. If you tap it with your hand it does not make the same sound either. Modern cars are just plain cheap POS.

But, even though I'm not a huge fan of this new rear, there's A LOT more ugly cars out there I see every day that makes me wonder WTF is wrong with people these days. Some of these cars are just so damn hideous it's hard to understand why someone would design something like that in the first place. After thinking about that, the mustang's new rear suddenly looks great.

Last edited by SirKnightTG; 02-11-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:41 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

The rear of the 10's is my least favorite part. And having said that, I like the rear. The rest of the car is just full of badassery!!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:54 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Also I get a kick out of people always says that aftermarket places should make whole new rears for the 10s and up, but really the only people who want new rears are those who dont own 2010s!
That's true. I guess perception is changed once you spend $30k + on something. I would probably try to defend it too.

Its not like if someone comes out with a new rear suddenly everyone is going to go by a 10. Please dont tell me thats the reason you wont buy a new car because thats just ridiculous.
No, I won't buy a new car now because I enjoy what I have and like the look better than the new style (plus I don't buy new cars every 2 years - that IS stupid!).

I will admit that the new Mustang has grown on me for the most part - especially the interior! But the rear ruins it for me, probably enough for me not to trade into the new style even if my car was paid off.

What I find funny is, most(I said most - don't want to get flamed by my brothers!) 05 - 09 owners agree that the 2010 side profile and interior are definite improvements on the the S197. But ALL 10 owners insist that the entire car is complete upgrade, and especially that the rear is superior in it's design. Everyone I know - friends, people at work, etc - has made comments to me about how they don't like the rear of the new Mustang. I have to keep reminding them that I only drive a Mustang, I did not have part in the design of the new one!!! LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '10-'11's Rear End