Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Best exhaust for the 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 08:41 AM
slidai
1st Gear Member

BLM1278 question,

I have had both flowmaster style of axlebacks on my 06 GT and they just don't sound the same. I was thinking about going to a shop and having them put on some Super 40's or 44's as a mid set up. You seem to have done this.

Which muffler did you go with? Center in center out, offset right center out, etc? Also, what did you do about the pipes where the axleback would have been? Did you just have that shop bend something and put tips on?

I am 99% sure i am getting a 11 GT this week so this will be my first mod if i do.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Rjimriley

I ordered Borla Atak catback system from Southern Auto Parts. Can't wait for it to get here (few days yet.) Should sound good on my 11 Gt with 5.0
Old 02-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Silver5Oh

right here....Bassani Axle Back, O/R Xpipe, no resonators....

Old 02-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Big_T_Judge
1st Gear Member

I listened to all the sound clips for the axlebacks and personally I thought the Roush sounded the best....and it was the cheapest at $350 (some were pushing $700 and the Borla's were over $800) These will be one of the first things I put on my car when it's delivered......hurry up Ford LOL
Old 02-15-2011, 03:51 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I installed the GT500 axlebacks yesterday... EXACTLY what I was looking for! Very throaty.. nice gurgling exhaust noises on decel and between gears.. tame at idle.. but lots of drama when you get on it.

I made a crappy cellphone movie.. doesn't capture the real richness of the sound.. but here it is anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvCr4...e_gdata_player
Old 02-15-2011, 09:43 PM
dragline
2nd Gear Member

MrSandman - these are the SVT mufflers from FRPP, yes?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:44 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dragline
MrSandman - these are the SVT mufflers from FRPP, yes?
They are the mufflers offered in the FRPP "power pack" and are the stock GT500 mufflers. I have to say... i'm still impressed with the sound. I like "grumbly" exhaust tones... and these fit the bill. They have way more "personality" than I expected.

I was a little worried when they were delivered because they are huge.. same size as stock. The body of my old GTA mufflers are half the size, and I wasn't sure they would be loud enough. My friend told me yesterday that he could hear my start the car in the parking garage at work.. he was a level above me and was sitting in his truck

For $269, they are a steal considering how pricy other axlebacks are. I kind of wish the tips were rolled.. but they are 4 inch polished stainless steel and look mean tucked under the rear facia.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ck-Exhaust-Kit
Old 02-16-2011, 11:17 AM
dragline
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
They are the mufflers offered in the FRPP "power pack" and are the stock GT500 mufflers. I have to say... i'm still impressed with the sound. I like "grumbly" exhaust tones... and these fit the bill. They have way more "personality" than I expected.

I was a little worried when they were delivered because they are huge.. same size as stock. The body of my old GTA mufflers are half the size, and I wasn't sure they would be loud enough. My friend told me yesterday that he could hear my start the car in the parking garage at work.. he was a level above me and was sitting in his truck

For $269, they are a steal considering how pricy other axlebacks are. I kind of wish the tips were rolled.. but they are 4 inch polished stainless steel and look mean tucked under the rear facia.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ck-Exhaust-Kit
that is a great price. they're $342 at FRPP. i am torn on what to do. i'd like a bit more rumble at idle and a little more volume at WOT but i'm 41 yrs old - the days of wanting to rattle windows in the neighborhood at every rpm range are behind me. happened to hear the roush system live in person this week on another 2011 5.0 and my god that thing was LOUD. too loud for me, i think. initially i was leaning hushpower from flowmaster but i'm afraid that might be too much volume too.. and i just can't see dropping $700 plus for borla without knowing it's the one. but, $270 for these FRPP's, that's another story. if i don't like 'em, drop 'em and replace the factory mufflers.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Philster01

Default agree on GT500 mufflers

I am 49 and did not want something really loud. I purchased the Flowmaster Hushpowers. Way too much drone inside cabin. Sounded good outside, but could not handle the drone. LOVE the GT500's! Added a little more sound than 5.0 stock, and absolutely no drone.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:34 AM
dragline
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Philster01
I am 49 and did not want something really loud. I purchased the Flowmaster Hushpowers. Way too much drone inside cabin. Sounded good outside, but could not handle the drone. LOVE the GT500's! Added a little more sound than 5.0 stock, and absolutely no drone.
cool - thinking this will be my birthday present to myself. at such a low price it's hard to go wrong.

Quick Reply: Best exhaust for the 5.0