Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 5.0L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
dan_az80

Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0
Default Best exhaust for the 5.0

I am looking at getting an axle back exhaust system for my 5.0. I like the way the Kooks axle back sounds, and the Magnaflow system. I haven't heard one yet with Borla's or Flowmasters. I just wanted to get pointed in the right direction. I am leaning toward the Borla Stinger system but i would like to get something with a better price point and similar sound.

I really like the sound of the super 40's from flowmaster (they sound great on my buddy's old nova ss), but i don't know if it's right for this application.

Thanks guys!

-Sterling Grey Metallic, Gt 5.0, Getrag 6-speed, 3.73 gears, Brembo brakes...more to come!
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
dan_az80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT
I993 SVT COBRA parchisi

I think it would be kinda hard to pinpoint a "best" axle back system since its a lot of personal preference. There's a lot of good ones already out there, i.e. Stainless Works, Kooks, Magnaflow, and I guess you'll just have to listen to exhaust clips and determine how much you want to spend in order to pick your exhaust. I'm in the process of doing this right now as well since the stock exhaust just ain't hackin' it. Right now I'm thinking about just taking it to a muffler shop and having a custom job done with some type of chambered muffler.

2011 Mustang GT
Premium, Race Red, GT/CS Splitter and Spoiler, 3.73 Gears, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda Comp Springs, Tokico D-Specs, MM C/C Plates, UMI Dbl. Adjustable PHB, Barton Shifter, American Thunder Axleback, SVE 19x9.5 Drift Wheels, Hankook R-S3 275/35ZR19 tires all around.
parchisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
blm1278
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 GT

That is what I did. Took mine to a muffler shop and had Flowmaster 40's mid mounted. Love the way it sounds and was cheaper than the bolt on systems.
blm1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm1278 View Post
That is what I did. Took mine to a muffler shop and had Flowmaster 40's mid mounted. Love the way it sounds and was cheaper than the bolt on systems.
So, buying the Flowmasters and descent tips, paying someone to install, and it still ended up cheaper than bolt on axlebacks?

Also, any issues with clearance on the mid-mounts?
cidsamuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:42 AM   #5
blm1278
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 GT

It was $425 out the door for my mid mounted system. As far as clearance I haven't had any problems. If you were going to do lowering springs you might rub a speed bump, but they would still clear in normal driving.
Steeda CAI and Brenspeed Tuned
Pypes mid-mufflers

Current Car:
2011 Silver GT
Steeda CAI & Brenspeed tuned
Custom Flowmaster 40 exhaust
blm1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #6

Vehicle: 2011,Mustang,GT?

Not trying to hyjack this thread, but a question about the 2011 exhaust. Since I don't have nine yet to look at yet. How many pieces to the system are there. I look at systems and get really confused. Coming off the factory headers there are the CAT's which is the mid pipe? That then connects to 2 more pipes going over the axles and then ending in the mufflers with tips?

So you could get say Kooks long tube to an X-H pipe, reuse the over the axle pipes and just buy new mufflers? Is that about right.

Terry
201150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
chain1
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2014 GT/CS

I too am looking to replace the stock exhausts on my '11. I would rather buy a purpose built axle back system though. Has anyone heard the new corsa's in person? Also, has flowmaster come out with anything yet for the 5.0? I'd like a sound similar to that of a New Edge GT, just louder.
chain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT 2000 GT

with the midmounted resonators, i'm wondering how deletes would sound with some LT's and o/r x pipe. that would be my first choice if i had a 2011.

Whipple Crew Member
2-Stang Crew Member
my car
onederful100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
onederful100
6th Gear Member

magnaflow deletes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OpnDW29A-o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeJrai1Z6hE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1m820SDqE4

Whipple Crew Member
2-Stang Crew Member
my car
Old 07-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #10
onederful100
6th Gear Member

stainless works LT's, catted x pipe, and race mufflers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoF4k...eature=related

Whipple Crew Member
2-Stang Crew Member
my car
Old 07-27-2010, 02:47 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2011, 50, axle, back, exhaust, exhausts, gt, installation, kooks, loudest, mi, muffler, mustang, sounds, system