Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

How fast will the 5.0 go?

Old 09-29-2010, 06:24 PM
killdar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW
Okay - Off topic I know - But this is one of my favorite pictures from China. I took this with my blackberry a few months ago in Shanghai. It cracks me up!

hahahaha

seriously?!?
Old 09-29-2010, 11:40 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boozshey
Call me crazy but I don't think he invented it...
WHAT!? Them Jesus folk LIED TO ME!

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Aw, man! Don't tell me that! My car is still brand new. I would hate to have to bring it in on account of a bad speedo.

My particular Garmin is a Nuvi 1300T. I unfortunately do not have anything as good as a 3750 or whatever. Maybe that might be my problem?

I do have a hand held pistol radar speedo, and I have used it in other cars to clock how fast the car goes, and it is very consistedt with what the car speedo shows. I will use that to verify if my 'Stang's speedo is fubar.
Your speedo isn't necessarily broken; many manufacturers introduce a deliberate error into their speedos to make you think you're going faster than you are (to cut down on speeding, natch). Sometimes it's a linear adjustment (3mph), sometimes it's a logarithmic adjustment (5%). I don't know how the Mustang is done up, but I suspect this has something to do with it.

In any case, I will trust a GPS over a speedo any day of the week and twice on sundays. There is simply too much variability in a speedo readout. There is no variability in a GPS readout. It is accurate to hundredths of a mph.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:23 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

LOL - So having a German girlfriend is all it takes..... What does that have to do with driving in Germany?
AuPair not GF and since there driving skills are part of the interview process and my knowledge of German drivers ed and habits is a weeee bit important when entrusting someone to drive one's car and your kids around. so I know a few things about how it works there.....

I guess they dont have drive thru's back East? Never would have guessed it.
wow, that statement ouzzzes with intelligence, just because you do reckless things you shouldn't assume that others do so.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:21 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18

Your speedo isn't necessarily broken; many manufacturers introduce a deliberate error into their speedos to make you think you're going faster than you are (to cut down on speeding, natch). Sometimes it's a linear adjustment (3mph), sometimes it's a logarithmic adjustment (5%). I don't know how the Mustang is done up, but I suspect this has something to do with it.

In any case, I will trust a GPS over a speedo any day of the week and twice on sundays. There is simply too much variability in a speedo readout. There is no variability in a GPS readout. It is accurate to hundredths of a mph.
I took my hand held radar on the road with me the other night, and didn't rely on my Garmin to do the MPH calculation for my Coyote. I found my Coyote's speedo is actually spot on and was actually in agreement with my hand held radar, even at 70-80 MPH.

I guess I must be doing something wrong with my Garmin, maybe I have it in an instantaneous average MPH mode rather than actual MPH mode. I will have to read the manual again and see how to set those up.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:59 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
I took my hand held radar on the road with me the other night, and didn't rely on my Garmin to do the MPH calculation for my Coyote. I found my Coyote's speedo is actually spot on and was actually in agreement with my hand held radar, even at 70-80 MPH.

I guess I must be doing something wrong with my Garmin, maybe I have it in an instantaneous average MPH mode rather than actual MPH mode. I will have to read the manual again and see how to set those up.
That is a big surprise if your GPS is off on speed. Must be a setting or something?

I know back a few years the GPS system had a built in factor to provide error on specific location but I do not know if that effects speed calculation. Anyway the error factor has been removed now so it shouldn't matter.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:05 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stkjock
AuPair not GF and since there driving skills are part of the interview process and my knowledge of German drivers ed and habits is a weeee bit important when entrusting someone to drive one's car and your kids around. so I know a few things about how it works there.....

wow, that statement ouzzzes with intelligence, just because you do reckless things you shouldn't assume that others do so.

Okay - Truce man. We could go around all day, but it is not worth it to either of us. We are both here for enjoyment and to learn and share.

Peace.....

Old 09-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There's a time and place for everything. I'm an old fart and consider myself pretty responsible but you only live once. I've often done sprints to 130 MPH or above but it's always been under ideal conditions: dry road, lots of visibility, known section of long, straight highway, not a sole around, yada-yada.

I'll be damned if I bought a V8 and never opened her up once in awhile.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Okay - Truce man. We could go around all day, but it is not worth it to either of us. We are both here for enjoyment and to learn and share.

Peace.....

Old 10-01-2010, 07:31 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
There's a time and place for everything. I'm an old fart and consider myself pretty responsible but you only live once. I've often done sprints to 130 MPH or above but it's always been under ideal conditions: dry road, lots of visibility, known section of long, straight highway, not a sole around, yada-yada.

I'll be damned if I bought a V8 and never opened her up once in awhile.
I will not disagree, because I too have done the same. Stupid move? Yeah, but it sure is mighty tempting when you have open road in front of you, no one else around, and no cops in sight or your Lidar/Radar detector.

Of course, those pesky camera locking devices are a different story...
Old 10-01-2010, 07:34 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Whoa! Now that is down right stupid with a capital "T" in "Tard"

He even has one of those damn things on his crotch! Talk about suicide, I think I would rather speed at 100 down an open interstate rather than ride crotch with 5 barrels of propane at 15 MPG.

Okay - Off topic I know - But this is one of my favorite pictures from China. I took this with my blackberry a few months ago in Shanghai. It cracks me up!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How fast will the 5.0 go?