Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

How fast will the 5.0 go?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 01:40 AM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
I totally agree. German drivers are very disciplined people and they do not do stupid $#!+ like cut people off. Even at 150+ MPH, a German driver will signal his intent, and merge safely into the next lane. Not any of this weaving $#!+ you see in US rush hour road-rage highways.

Also, the German freeways, especially their interstates (what we all know as autobahns), are MADE for very high speeds. The US interstates are full of very dangerous winds and turns and rather steep climbs. The autobahns are very straight with very gentle curves and turns. Their highways can take the speeds. US interstates cannot.
Exactly. And more. If you've been there, then you understand how it works.

I have had the privilege of working on every continent with the exception of Australia. During that time I have spent a lot of time in way to many countries to count. You see a lot for sure. As good is Germany is there are certainly others that fall WAY short. Example - Do not even think about driving in mainland China or India. What disasters they are.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:35 AM
whyask
3rd Gear Member

Ok am I to understand that some of you are really doing this on a US Highway (op i understand your in germany not directed at you) going that fast on a PUBLIC HIGHWAY !! WTF is wrong with you ****tards ! Take that **** to a track. Not only are you looking like an *** hat out there and giving mustang owners every were a bad name but your indangering the lives of others for what... Again.. Just amazed at how Fckn stupid people really are !

Last edited by whyask; 09-29-2010 at 04:39 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:30 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Originally Posted by FastDEW
I am assuming you've never driven on the Autobahn. I have been in Germany many times for business. Doing 160+ over there on the open sections is like running 70 here on the interstate - only far safer. Without going into how the Germans drive versus the Americans, you just have to do it in order to understand it.
I've not been on the Autobahn but am well aware of how it works and how much better it is. I've had German girls living in my home for two and a half years so maybe you should not ASSume anything there buddy.

Fact is doing 160+ while maybe "safe" as you describe it in Germany, **** happens, parts break, tires blow out, birds fly across the road, etc. etc. etc. And of course there are no stupid German drivers who could be inattentive right?

Have you ever been running 70 over here while on the cell phone, slamming down a soda and burger. No, of course not......
Actually, no I haven't, not when I'm at the wheel.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:19 PM
explict
4th Gear Member

Yes, you seen me moderate other posts, but honestly, how is asking how fast can a 5.0 go a technical question? That is 100% chat.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:26 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by explict
how is asking how fast can a 5.0 go a technical question? That is 100% chat.
um, asking the limit of a vehicle I would think falls into its technical limitations, be it limited by gearing as a theoretical top speed, or by power where it is the real world speed limited by wind resistance.

Not exactly the best argument I have heard...

"5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!"
keywords there, "any question." the Ops question hits 4 out of 5 of the examples given
Old 09-29-2010, 04:31 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stkjock
I've not been on the Autobahn but am well aware of how it works and how much better it is. I've had German girls living in my home for two and a half years so maybe you should not ASSume anything there buddy.

Fact is doing 160+ while maybe "safe" as you describe it in Germany, **** happens, parts break, tires blow out, birds fly across the road, etc. etc. etc. And of course there are no stupid German drivers who could be inattentive right?
LOL - So having a German girlfriend is all it takes..... What does that have to do with driving in Germany?

Originally Posted by Stkjock
Actually, no I haven't, not when I'm at the wheel.
I guess they dont have drive thru's back East? Never would have guessed it.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:04 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I have had the privilege of working on every continent with the exception of Australia. During that time I have spent a lot of time in way to many countries to count. You see a lot for sure. As good is Germany is there are certainly others that fall WAY short. Example - Do not even think about driving in mainland China or India. What disasters they are.
Chinese roads? Yes, I have to agree. They are bad. A typical Chinese highway interchange is like suicide. Break-neck curves and turns. And the people are probably way worse drivers than even American road-rage teens.

India, I cannot say, is faring any better. Their highway planning is probably worse than Red China's road planning.
German autobahns are the best highways in the world, and even though the US interstate highways do not come close to the autobahns, at least they are not as poorly planned as the Chinese national highways.

Last edited by JIM5.0; 09-29-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:19 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by explict
Yes, you seen me moderate other posts, but honestly, how is asking how fast can a 5.0 go a technical question? That is 100% chat.
Fast cars, such as our 'Stangs, rely on many technical things to be fast. Without tech and using tech right, there is no fast.

Asking how fast our cars are is also asking the underlying questions: What makes our cars fast and it will lead to other questions: How to make them go faster?

Yes, it may seem like only chat, and even lead to bantering and bragging, but the underlying tech questions of why and how they are fast are still there.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:06 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Chinese roads? Yes, I have to agree. They are bad. A typical Chinese highway interchange is like suicide. Break-neck curves and turns. And the people are probably way worse drivers than even American road-rage teens.
Okay - Off topic I know - But this is one of my favorite pictures from China. I took this with my blackberry a few months ago in Shanghai. It cracks me up!

Old 09-29-2010, 06:08 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

India, I cannot say, is faring any better. Their highway planning is probably worse than Red China's road planning.
German autobahns are the best highways in the world, and even though the US interstate highways do not come close to the autobahns, at least they are not as poorly planned as the Chinese national highways.
Try driving around Cairo. Now that's an experience.

Quick Reply: How fast will the 5.0 go?