Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

VMP Tune Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 08:45 AM
DarkCandy08GT
1st Gear Member

Default VMP Tune Review

Just want to give a shout out to Justin at VMP. Got one of his 93 tunes last wk and the thing is a Beast! Tune is very smooth with great throttle response without being to jerky, great low end torque, great auto shift firmness. The car really moves now. Hard not to get on it at all times it just so beastly to drive now. Did a lot of research and Justin was very helpful and answered all my questions. Its great to be able to talk to the actual tuner. Give VMP a try you will not be disappointed.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:08 PM
Latz

Thumbs down

Hey, glad you got to use it... I on the other hand didn't get to use mine.

Nearly $2000 out of pocket thanks to Justin Starchey or whatever his name is. I've never dealt with such a person in my life and live quietly confident that he'll get what's coming to him someday.

My fiancee decides to buy me a present for my 2010 GT500, I send her a link for what I want from VMP (first time buying from them). Their system bugs out at the order page so she puts the order through again. Again, their system bugs out. She checks with her credit card company and she's been charged no less than twice for the same item. She calls VMP to get a refund, no answer, she emails them, no answer... eventually and after writing an email every day for over a week, he gets off his lazy behind and answers with a really rude email (wish I could share it on here...) basically saying he's a busy man blah blah and he hasn't got time to address errors by people. Well, let's be clear here... it was his vendors payment system that bugged out, not our fault! My fiancee obviously annoyed by this wrote a few emails back and forth and it was starting to get out of hand with his rudeness even though I ensured she wasn't being rude to him in hers. To cut a long story short, I was a little upset with Justin for speaking to my future wife that way and I'm a big believer in customer service (lol I know... having read about this
guy and heard him speak on YouTube videos I now realise the error of my ways - he has a number of issues stringing a sentence together..). Again, he was rude to me.. let's put it this way, I'm a pro weightlifter and was ready to jump on a plane and pound him into the ground or tear him limb from limb, that's how annoyed he had me and still has when I recount the story.

So now he won't give me the information I need to even use this kit on the Shelby as he should have done, the kit's useless and at $1500 that's a bitter pill to swallow, especially when my fiancee was trying to do something nice as a gift for me. Oh and to make it worse, because of the currency difference and because their system bugged out, she ended up with a conversion charge for BOTH transactions which was never refunded, bringing the total sting closer to $2k.

I've also got some friends here in Calgary who have told me similar stories of VMP (wish I'd have asked them first!) but I can't speak on their behalf.. if anyone is interested I can ask them to post on here regarding their experiences with VMP... I think you'll find their accounts quite alarming!

So be warned as your credit card won't cover car parts in Canada.... I wouldn't use VMP ever but that's just my opinion having a $2k hole in our finances thanks to them.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:11 AM
Falcon Fixer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Latz

Nearly $2000 out of pocket thanks to Justin Starchey or whatever his name is. I've never dealt with such a person in my life and live quietly confident that he'll get what's coming to him someday.

My fiancee decides to buy me a present for my 2010 GT500, I send her a link for what I want from VMP (first time buying from them). Their system bugs out at the order page so she puts the order through again. Again, their system bugs out. She checks with her credit card company and she's been charged no less than twice for the same item. She calls VMP to get a refund, no answer, she emails them, no answer... eventually and after writing an email every day for over a week, he gets off his lazy behind and answers with a really rude email (wish I could share it on here...) basically saying he's a busy man blah blah and he hasn't got time to address errors by people. Well, let's be clear here... it was his vendors payment system that bugged out, not our fault! My fiancee obviously annoyed by this wrote a few emails back and forth and it was starting to get out of hand with his rudeness even though I ensured she wasn't being rude to him in hers. To cut a long story short, I was a little upset with Justin for speaking to my future wife that way and I'm a big believer in customer service (lol I know... having read about this
guy and heard him speak on YouTube videos I now realise the error of my ways - he has a number of issues stringing a sentence together..). Again, he was rude to me.. let's put it this way, I'm a pro weightlifter and was ready to jump on a plane and pound him into the ground or tear him limb from limb, that's how annoyed he had me and still has when I recount the story.

So now he won't give me the information I need to even use this kit on the Shelby as he should have done, the kit's useless and at $1500 that's a bitter pill to swallow, especially when my fiancee was trying to do something nice as a gift for me. Oh and to make it worse, because of the currency difference and because their system bugged out, she ended up with a conversion charge for BOTH transactions which was never refunded, bringing the total sting closer to $2k.

I've also got some friends here in Calgary who have told me similar stories of VMP (wish I'd have asked them first!) but I can't speak on their behalf.. if anyone is interested I can ask them to post on here regarding their experiences with VMP... I think you'll find their accounts quite alarming!

So be warned as your credit card won't cover car parts in Canada.... I wouldn't use VMP ever but that's just my opinion having a $2k hole in our finances thanks to them.
I call bull****.
Been here long enough to here things.

NEVER heard ANYTHING negative.

Last edited by Falcon Fixer; 02-16-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:23 AM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Falcon Fixer
I call bull****.
Been here long enough to here things.

NEVER heard ANYTHING negative.

You may have never heard anything negative, that doesn't mean it never happened. Think about it, why would this guy waste his time revealing VMP's negligence, he gets nothing out of it doing so. He's warning others that this could happen, and I'm going to take heed of that warning.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Latz

Originally Posted by dominant1
You may have never heard anything negative, that doesn't mean it never happened. Think about it, why would this guy waste his time revealing VMP's negligence, he gets nothing out of it doing so. He's warning others that this could happen, and I'm going to take heed of that warning.
Thanks very much Dominant1.. you're absolutely right. I don't have time to waste writing a detailed account of what actually happened. I felt that as the 'Tuner' industry is an unregulated one, protected by even less than normal over-the-counter purchases are, people in my position should know about who to deal with and who not to deal with... if we don't help each other, who will?? Especially as we're spending a lot of money.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:59 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

I have a VMP tune for my Whipple SC.
it is a gen 1 at 7 psi, makes 462 rwhp/ 432 tq.
Justin is a great tuner. i talked with him on the phone, he seemed busy, but he did get my tune out fast, and it works great!
462 rwhp on only 7 psi.
he also races Mustangs, and tunes a ton of them. he has a huge knowledge of Mustangs and how to tune them very well.

I strongly recommend VMP.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:10 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

I've been very happy with my VMP tune. Justin has always given me great customer service. In general though it seems lots of tuners get to a point where they're so overwhelmed with work they don't always get back to some on a timely basis. I've heard that with a number of tuners.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:33 AM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Latz

I too am one of his unhappy customers. I still don't have the tune I paid good $$$ for. The first two tunes he sent me my car barely ran, now every email I send him he takes forever to respond then promises me to finish my tune but hasn't yet. This is been going on for months.
I seems if he gets your tune right all's good, but if not God help you because Justin sure as hell won't!!!!

Last edited by NJ3; 02-18-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:45 PM
USNavyFlyer

Default I too call BS

First I have had awesome customer service. Justin has even contacted me to tell me it was going to be a few days till they could ship a product without me complaining. Second you're not out 2k unless you don't know how to pick up a phone and call the company that issued your credit card. They can easily handle your dispute. But least you managed to let us know you are a pro weight lifter, we were all very impressed by that I assure you.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:00 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by USNavyFlyer
First I have had awesome customer service. Justin has even contacted me to tell me it was going to be a few days till they could ship a product without me complaining. Second you're not out 2k unless you don't know how to pick up a phone and call the company that issued your credit card. They can easily handle your dispute. But least you managed to let us know you are a pro weight lifter, we were all very impressed by that I assure you.
Nobody else was a D!ck about it except you. The guy was sharing his story, and let me tell you I have heard PLENTY of stories about Justin being rude to customers. I personally have never had a problem with him, and had great customer service as well, BUT NOT ALL DO. I have a friend who was screwed over by Justin and Justin made a comment trying to degrade the guy saying he didnt own his truck.

I ordered an email tune from him for my pullied m90 2010 and when I was on the dyno I called him telling him the tune was really rich (10.1 AFR). At the time I had a JDM tune which was running great (email tunes were only temporary, as I had a dyno tune appt. with JDM a few weeks later). Long story short he wanted me to datalog but I decided to stick with my JDM tune, but HE CALLED ME asking about the tune and how things were going, and actually went the extra mile to make sure I was happy.

Quick Reply: VMP Tune Review