Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2012 Boss 302 Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:29 PM
trz06

While the Boss 302 sounds nice on paper. You take a stock 5.0 Brembo GT, add suspension, say like Griggs or MM stuff and you will have a car that out handles the Boss 302. Oh wheels and tires as well.

Yeah you lose the higher redline and a little bit of HP, but not really much. Bet you still come under what they will try to get from the Boss

Just saying
Old 11-01-2010, 10:54 PM
5 Dot 0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by trz06
While the Boss 302 sounds nice on paper. You take a stock 5.0 Brembo GT, add suspension, say like Griggs or MM stuff and you will have a car that out handles the Boss 302. Oh wheels and tires as well.

Yeah you lose the higher redline and a little bit of HP, but not really much. Bet you still come under what they will try to get from the Boss
That's what I'm thinking. Add the GT500 rear spoiler and valance, CS front spoiler with the Roush grill, maybe some side splitters. The wheels are very similar and the tires are the same size although maybe not as sticky. Upgrade the shocks and springs along with CAI/tune and hit the go pedal.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:28 AM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5 Dot 0
I didn't say you did I said your familiar with it. The half dozen GT500's I've seen in a showroom have all had added dealer markup. ...
The one I bought had a markup on it, too! All you have to do is refuse to pay it. Nothing hard about that. Only thing is, you have to be a serious buyer. I was actually there to order a 5.0 but couldn't get it configured the way I wanted. (Can't just get the pedestal spoiler anymore; have to get that gawdy hood scoop, too, now. Ugh! There were other issues, too, but anyways...) So I threw an offer at 'em for the GT500 since it was just sitting there on the floor. They countered. I said no way, and added some other concessions. They agreed. Contract signed. No markup! Anybody can do it. Even on the upcoming Boss.

There were markups on the 2000 Cobra R, but after they languished on showroom floors for months on end, the dealerships came back to their senses. There was only one available ( that I know of) in the surrounding area here when it was out, and the dealership had a $25K markup on it. It sat for over a year! There's another dealership here that still has an '09 GT500KR sitting on their lot. It's been there for almost two years. They originally wanted over $80K for it. Now they're trying to sell it at net/net/net for $69.9K. Their only hope of selling that thing now is probably at auction. Nobody's gonna buy that when they can get a newer, more powerful, better performing, better optioned GT500 for over $18K+ less! Only a hardcore Shelby person would go for that "deal." (And I only recently learned that the KR isn't a "real" Shelby, either. Only the Shelby GT, GT-H (I believe,) GT350, and SuperSnake are real Shelby cars nowadays.)
Old 11-02-2010, 10:34 AM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by trz06

Just saying

So you're saying you can take a stock 5.0 w/ Brembo package, add some aftermarket suspension stuff and it will handle better than a lighter one with a/the race suspension used by the factory racing teams that compete in Grand Am series racing with countless wins?? Sign me up!!
Old 11-02-2010, 11:07 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

To be honest I do believe you could buy suspension mods that would make the 2011 5.0 pretty comparable to the Boss. And I'm not talking the Leguna Seca model, just the stock Boss.

Really, I feel like for the most part when you buy into something labeled special edition, while you aren't paying exclusively for the title, a good weight of the pricing is based being able to say you own that special edition. Particularly these boss models which people rumor are going to be auctioned off and probably hit some pretty damn high prices...likely beyond the cost of putting in very nice suspension mods as well as power mods that would enable you to exceed the HP of the boss anyway.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:10 PM
5ohwhoa

To be fair, the regular Boss 302 is a bit more than just a GT w/Brembos plus a nicer suspension. You also get forged internals, upgraded cams, better Brembos(at all four corners instead of just the fronts), better interior, etc. Not to mention a warranty.

Ford has also gone on record saying that you won't be able to buy any of these Boss parts direct from Ford to upgrade an existing Mustang with.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:09 PM
jackal119
1st Gear Member

This Boss could be like the mustang Bullitt that too was a limited mustang. The question is where is the starting price? I going to bet around 40K starting as the Bullitt was a bit more then a CS:GT back then.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Spd2Stang

[QUOTE=5ohwhoa;7271597]To be fair, the regular Boss 302 is a bit more than just a GT w/Brembos plus a nicer suspension. You also get forged internals, upgraded cams, better Brembos(at all four corners instead of just the fronts), better interior, etc. Not to mention a warranty.

Ford has also gone on record saying that you won't be able to buy any of these Boss parts direct from Ford to upgrade an existing Mustang with.[/QUOTE]

im sorry but that makes no sense.
Why would ford offer a car with all these extras and a warrany, but not offer any of the parts avaliable on the boss to replace if something is broken.

My opinon is stay away from the boss, high $$ markup and high $$ parts that ford has apprently gone on record saying they wont offer according to 5ohwhoa. Were talking 28 more horspower and has cams and forged internals, no thanks im happy with the purchase of my GT as is and if later down the road i want serious power i know what to buy. Also how many people will use this amazing suspension on the day to day in they're $45,000 special edition car? ie hard banking, high speeds, quick turns. Dont get me wrong im into racing but not risking mine or someone elses life on the day to day just to reach 100 MPH before the next light just to make my investment worthy.
my 0.02
Old 11-02-2010, 06:38 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

You misunderstand what was said. What he meant was that the parts won't be available to the general public for purchase. (That's probably just conjecture at this point.) There are lots of high end and exotic car manufacturers that don't want to cheapen their special edition cars, so they only offer parts for sale with a valid VIN from a car that actually came equipped with those parts. Boss 302 owners will be able to get replacement parts for their cars.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:14 PM
5 Dot 0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
Really, I feel like for the most part when you buy into something labeled special edition, while you aren't paying exclusively for the title, a good weight of the pricing is based being able to say you own that special edition. Particularly these boss models which people rumor are going to be auctioned off and probably hit some pretty damn high prices...likely beyond the cost of putting in very nice suspension mods as well as power mods that would enable you to exceed the HP of the boss anyway.
This is the reason I'd want one, if I'm only paying a few grand over sticker. It that were possible I'd be all over it. But it looks like they are going to go for a lot more than sticker so I'll stick with a loaded 5 DOT 0 and personalize it to my personal taste.

Quick Reply: 2012 Boss 302 Pricing