Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 GT Flowmaster Exhaust question please comment!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 05:51 PM
cruzan

Question 2011 GT Flowmaster Exhaust question please comment!

So when my car is delivered I wouldl like to have a couple parts in my garage to install on the car. I have always loved the way flowmaster mufflers sound on muscle cars. The low deep rumble just makes your head turn every time you hear it IMO.

For those who have the American Muscle axel back and the Hushpower do you get any drone? My friend had some 40 series on his 69 Torino and sometimes the drone would get unbearable...... Do you guys experience this at all with the new motors?

Also who is running headers with them and an X-pipe?

Some feedback on this would be great!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:19 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

I don't have them but have ridden in a car that does. It does not have the dreaded drone. I think the combination of the factory resonators and the location of the mufflers being in the rear and not under the car has gone a long ways in eliminating in-cabin drone.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Rebel302
1st Gear Member

I have 40-series Flowmasters welded in my '11 GT. There is some drone, but not bad IMO. I personally, love the drone. It reminds me of my old 5.0's, which I loved. I like hearing my exhaust all the time. It's music to my ears.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:09 PM
cruzan

I have 40-series Flowmasters welded in my '11 GT. There is some drone, but not bad IMO. I personally, love the drone. It reminds me of my old 5.0's, which I loved. I like hearing my exhaust all the time. It's music to my ears.
Did you have your local muffler shop weld in the 40 series or did you go with the axle back (I believe the american thunder by flowmaster are 40 serivies)? Do you still have the factory resonators or did you remove them? Do you have any audio clips of your exhaust system?
Old 11-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Rejeme

Seems like your a Flowmaster fan like I am. If that's the case, you won't be disappointed in the American Thunder Axle-back kit for the 11. Plus they are inexpensive and easy to install. Late Model Restoration has great clips of both kits on their website.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:16 PM
cjs06
2nd Gear Member

I too have a set of American Thunder axel-backs and love the sound. It's not deafening loud but its deep and rich. It's not the poppy roush sound. There is some drone but its mild imo and only noticeable at certain speeds.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:19 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by cjs06
I too have a set of American Thunder axel-backs and love the sound. It's not deafening loud but its deep and rich. It's not the poppy roush sound. There is some drone but its mild imo and only noticeable at certain speeds.
Are ypu talking about the 2010 Roush exhaust or the 2011? I drove a Stage2 Roush and it did not have that popping sound on decel. Sounded very nice and the 2011 Roush Exhaust tips look awesome
Old 11-02-2010, 06:50 PM
cruzan

Im thinking the American thunder system will be the first to try. The sound clips are really hard to get a true feel of the sound produced. I have yet to be let down by the Flowmaster sound. The old 5.0 sound with flowmasters is my favorite muscle car tone!

Do any of you have an x-pipe or headers installed with them ? I am thinking that I want to at least get an x-pipe with it.....Headers prob a couple months down the road.

Do any of you 2011 GT roll around Temp/Gilbert AZ?
Old 11-03-2010, 04:45 PM
RealStig

I have american thunders as well, at first I thought the drone was rediculous, but then my previous car's exhaust was SLP loudmouths (no drone). So any drone was going to be loud to me.

After week driving I didn't notice it and past 4000 rpm it sounds amazing, I can almost compare to the Audio RS4 (if you've ever heard one).
Old 11-03-2010, 04:46 PM
RealStig

*Audi RS4

Quick Reply: 2011 GT Flowmaster Exhaust question please comment!