Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 5.0 Rough Manual Shift

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 06:32 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

In Texas, it is more than 3 times. The auto sales have an extremely strong lobby. So strong is this lobby that the system is rife with corruption. Lemon law is handled by texas' DMV. Yes, Texas has a DMV. And it is run by people the governor appointed, these guys being dealership owners and all.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:54 PM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jmatero
Hello fellow 2011 Mustang Manual Transmission Owners

I thought I'd quickly summarize the symptoms, current fixes available, what we know so far, and how best to ensure your car is fixed

SYMPTOMS:
1. Clutch pedal sticks to the floor when fully depressed (Generally, cars built before May 2010)
2. Clutch engagement no longer progressive... more "on/off"... with very little pedal travel causing bucking/jerky launches.
3. Difficult to shift in temperatures below 35 degrees F.
4. Grinding when shifting (1-2 and 2-3 reported most) until car is fully warmed up.
5. Grinding when shifting (1-2 and 2-3 reported most) all the time.
6. Inability to engage gears with clutch pedal fully depressed (non related to skip-shift)

CORRESPONDING SOLUTIONS:
1. Ford will install an updated pedal assembly that solves the problem.
2. No fix for 2011, but it should be noted that 2012 Mustangs have revised clutch assemblies.
3. Ford will change your transmission fluid. (Many owners report success, some report gear whine)
4. Ford may change your transmission fluid. (Some owners report success, some report gear whine)
5. Ford may change your transmission fluid. (Few owners report success, some report gear whine)
6. Ford may replace your clutch assembly and install updated pressure plate bolts.

WHAT WE KNOW:
As most of you already know, if your problems continue after having these applied, there is no other fix as of 03/23/2011.
Okay here goes, bought mine back in June and I'm experiencing the #3 and #4 symptoms now that the morning temp has been down in the low 30's. Also getting a loud "clanging" (best way I can describe it) in 3rd gear at about 3000 rpm. Hopefully the listed corresponding solutions will fix this problem. Guess I'll be at the dreaded Ford service dept next week.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:04 PM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

A good short throw shifter like the new MGW or Barton should solve the problem. I had the same issue in my 2010 mustang until i upgraded to a new MGW shifter... to me its not the tranny but the cheap low grade shifters the factory gives you!
Old 10-27-2011, 12:21 AM
5.ohhhhh

yeah i sometimes notice it in my car as well but i got it checked out by ford as well and they assured me it was nothing serious...i mean if it gets worse and worse for you it could just be the synchronizers, and regardless your under warranty so if it even is something serious which i'm sure its not ford has to fix it
Old 10-28-2011, 08:57 AM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

It definitely seems to be a cold weather thing for me. Once I'm driving for a few minutes the shifting seems to smooth out. When cold, its as if trying to shift without the clutch fully engaged.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:55 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Many have speculated it is the brass parts inside the MT82. Brass is more susceptible to thermal strain, so the colder it gets, the more it shrinks as compared to steel, for example.

Fortunately for me, I live in a hot state. We had 100degree F days all the way into mid-October. And winter, it never snows (well, it very rarely snows if it even does).
Old 10-31-2011, 12:38 AM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

There is a new community dedicated to a thorough discussion about this transmission mess. BrokenStangs.com just launched but they're already talking about it on FaceBook.

Official MT82 Transmission Problems Thread

Official NHTSA MT82 Mustang Investigation Thread

:bigthumbsup

Last edited by jmatero; 11-01-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:15 AM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

My MT82 is the best feeling tranny I've ever owned. It's gotten better with mileage. I'm at 5k now and it's nice and euro-notchy feeling, not sloppy at all. I haven't had a single grind in at least the last 3k miles.

Don't be stingy with the clutch and go easy on it for the first 2-3 minutes in the morning.

My only complaint is, if I'm off even a little with my clutch work, I get a little more clunky noise than I like, but its not hurting anything - I think its just not as well sound-insolated as other cars.

I love my Mustang
Old 11-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by angryBits
My MT82 is the best feeling tranny I've ever owned. It's gotten better with mileage. I'm at 5k now and it's nice and euro-notchy feeling, not sloppy at all. I haven't had a single grind in at least the last 3k miles.

Don't be stingy with the clutch and go easy on it for the first 2-3 minutes in the morning.

My only complaint is, if I'm off even a little with my clutch work, I get a little more clunky noise than I like, but its not hurting anything - I think its just not as well sound-insolated as other cars.
Mine is the same way. Shifts like **** and grinds every gear until things warm up, then it's pretty smooth. I've noticed this more in the cold weather and suspect I need to be running different fluid. I would take it to Ford, but I'm worried they will void my warrant so I'll probably just fill it up with Royal Purple this winter.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:43 PM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Napoleon85
Mine is the same way. Shifts like **** and grinds every gear until things warm up, then it's pretty smooth. I've noticed this more in the cold weather and suspect I need to be running different fluid. I would take it to Ford, but I'm worried they will void my warrant so I'll probably just fill it up with Royal Purple this winter.
Careful about the Royal Purple.
There's a ton of threads dedicated to this MT82 quirkiness, people have tried everything. Some people said it made it worse and noisey.

Check out this thread: (It's long)
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ng-thread.html

Some cars came from the factory with the wrong fluid, some cars had loose clutch bolts from the factory.

What was your build date? Mine was built just after they ironed most of it out. So if yours was built after mine, I'd leave it alone, but if it was built before mine, take it in because its probably got the wrong fluid or something else funny.

Quick Reply: 2011 5.0 Rough Manual Shift