Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 5.0 Rough Manual Shift

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 11:43 AM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't do a damn thing until a TSB appears. I suspect it will happen before 2012's arrive on the lots next month.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:49 PM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

Mine is shifting fine at 1000 miles, but it just started making noise in first and second. The sychros are whining like a hewland straight cut box. It is cold here, so it may just be the weather. Anyone else hearing the whine?
Old 01-12-2011, 09:29 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

No whine in mine...so far. Even in the cold.

What part of Texas are you from? In the panhandle, I know it is in the single digits there. I am much further south, and we are in the 20s right now, but fortunately no syncro whine for me.

Also what is the build date of your car? if J above is speaking the truth, any GT built in late August last year or later have had upgraded syncros. I assume his dealership told him that; I cannot find any info anywhere that says this.
If your car's build date was earlier than August 2010, then your tranny is like mine without the new purported syncros.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:05 PM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

I am in San Antonio, it is 33 here. My car was made in august. I don't have the exact date.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:11 PM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

Just pulled out my original sticker; my car was born 7/28, so I guess I will wait for my box to grind into dust.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:16 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Hopefully it will not result in that. Since you are observing a distinct and audible problem, do take it in. I would say your particular case is exactly within the bounds for drive train warranty work.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:55 AM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

There is a thread on one of these forums that lists all the part changes made on the 2011 Mustang and the dates they showed up on the assembly line. That's where the synchronizers and reverse (input shaft) were listed as new parts beginning 8/24/10.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Dnet

I picked up my 2011 last month - it was built sometime in November and I have the really notchy shifting from 1-2 and 2-3 as well but only when it's really cold like right now. As soon as fluid warms up, everything smooths out really nice. No whining in the transmission yet and hopefully it never will - I hate taking my car to any dealership.

On a side note, I traded in my 2010 Camaro SS for the Mustang and it had the TR6060. It was a very smooth and quiet transmission but shifting was like rowing a boat - really long throws and then when you put in an aftermarket shifter, the effort to shift dramatically increases and it becomes a pain. I would suspect, without any personal verification, that the throw on the Getrag is half that of the Tremec. For comparison, I like the Getrag way better as far as shifting and feel but I guess time will tell on its' strength and durability. So far, I am way happy with the new Mustang.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Mixednuts
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jmatero
I wouldn't do a damn thing until a TSB appears. I suspect it will happen before 2012's arrive on the lots next month.
2012's arrive on lots in February 2011? Is this correct?
Old 01-13-2011, 10:11 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I think the '12s begin manufacturing in Feb, not when they are allowed to hit the actual lots. I think this month is when ordering of '12s begun. But don't quote me on this; ask Ford dealer to verify if what I am saying is correct.

As for the TR6060 (and its upgraded performance version, the T56 Magnum), I believe if you want the short throws, you must purchase an aftermarket shifter.

Originally Posted by jmatero
There is a thread on one of these forums that lists all the part changes made on the 2011 Mustang and the dates they showed up on the assembly line. That's where the synchronizers and reverse (input shaft) were listed as new parts beginning 8/24/10.
Can you link this thread? I cannot find it with a Google search. Also, I asked one of my local dealership tech shops and they didn't know the MT82 started to receive upgraded syncros and shafts.

Speaking of internet forum rumors, someone said that some of the MT82 issues can be solved by using some parts form the '12 Boss, he said something about mounts. I do not know if he meant the engine mounts to limit the strain and just how much the engine and tranny attached to it twists out of position, or if the meant the S197 tranny cross mount (this is the more likely).

And in light of this rumor, I assume that the MT82 fixes might involve using upgraded parts in the the Boss MT82 (if it indeed has different parts form the regular GT MT82). Afterall, the Boss is supposed to make more torque and power with the TracKey (the red key with the performance tune).
Again, don't take this as facts since this is internet rumors that are not posted by published information sources of more credibility and ethics of fact-finding researches that newspapers and most mags practice (or that we hope would practice, tabloid publications being excluded of course).

Quick Reply: 2011 5.0 Rough Manual Shift