Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 5.0 Rough Manual Shift

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 12:07 AM
mowenski

Default 2011 5.0 Rough Manual Shift

Hi,

I have noticed on occasion when shifting from 1st to 2nd a rough shift (like the syncro didn't do it's job) and this is at ~2000 rpm just loafing along. This seems to be most noticeable on the 1st shift when leaving the garage. Later, it is better and shifts normally (quiet) but still may 'clunk' some times but less often. I have about 4000 miles now and this issue has been around awhile. I took it to Ford and the technician claims it is normal and will get better as the clearances 'wear in'. Thoughts?
Old 11-03-2010, 09:24 AM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

I've posted about this a few times before in other threads. Mine does the same thing. Easiest way to explain it, is that the transmission is tempermental. Or very picky. It will ONLY go into 2nd for me if I happen to be at the right RPM's, I'm shifting from 1st into 2nd at a certain speed, and I'm putting a certain amount of pressure on the shifter as it goes into gear. 90% of the time I'll feel the shifter buck in my hand as it quietly grinds into gear. 2nd is the only gear that does this, too. Even my g/f notices if the radio is off and you can just barely hear it inside the car with the windows up.

3rd gear does it, but only if I'm WOT rowing through the gears. It'll grind no matter what I do, and it's only of those high pitched BEEEE for a split second, I'll hear the sound reflecting off cement walls next to me as I get on the highway, or buildings.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:28 AM
mowenski

Do you think this problem needs to be checked out or is it just a tranny personality I need to get used to?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:46 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

I have the same thing when the car is cold. Only really happens on my first 1-2 shift of the day then it's fine. I'm not worried about it.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:18 AM
cold12pk

My car has the "notchy" shifting when cold...this is normal. But I just started having a bad "grind" when shifting into 5th gear. Just 5th, all other shifts are ok.
Already had a scheduled dealer appointment for the sticking clutch TSB yesterday. They drove car after completing the work and could not replicate the 5th gear grinding. Picked up car and it shifted good for about 10 miles and then started grinding again. Definately not normal!
Back in the shop today...I will post back when I get an update.
I have alway's avoided the first year car / drivetrain buying, but couldn't resist this time. Hopefully it will get worked out.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:21 PM
KXRM
1st Gear Member

Yea I will echo this, the shift from 1st to 2nd is temperamental when cold but I haven't been concerned with it. All other gears shift like a hot knife through butter for me. This happens with both aggressive and granny shifting.

Last edited by KXRM; 11-03-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:39 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

me too. a hard to find sweet spot and the cold weather is making it more noticeable for me. Shifts just fine when warmed up a little. Also occasionally happens to me when shifting into first at a stop light (after I stop completely).
Old 11-03-2010, 03:42 PM
thezfunk

Shifting from 1 to 2 is an issue for me as well. I have had similar issues with other cars and a good fluid has corrected it. I have used Redline or Amsoil in the past. Just might have to order some and have the fluid changed out and see where that leaves us. Although, mine will be going to winter nap time soon so I might wait until spring.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:08 PM
hcrisler

Ok guys. The coyote 5.0 is new, this means the drivetrain, as well as all of the other parts are subject to have first year problems just like every other domestic model released. Ford will stand behind their product and most likely issue a recall if the problem continues to be widespread.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:03 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hcrisler
Ok guys. The coyote 5.0 is new, this means the drivetrain, as well as all of the other parts are subject to have first year problems just like every other domestic model released. Ford will stand behind their product and most likely issue a recall if the problem continues to be widespread.
It's really not that big a deal.

Quick Reply: 2011 5.0 Rough Manual Shift