Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 5.0 Rough Manual Shift

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:23 PM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

JIM I'll locate the link. It was a list of all running changes on the 2011 Mustang to date and listed everything from the 3rd redesign of the door striker plates, to steering shaft changes, to engine and tranny part updates. In fact, I think it might be on GMinsideNews forums. FYI: this is not an "internet rumor". The text is still copied to my desktop.. the two lines read:

- New synchro rings (1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 5th and 6th outer rings, reverse)
- New Reverse gear (output shaft)

I don't even know what half of that stuff IS...

Last edited by jmatero; 01-14-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Will the 2012's have this same problem? I sure hope not.....
Old 01-19-2011, 06:27 PM
95PreludeSi
1st Gear Member

I dropped mine off at the dealership today of which one of the many reasons being the transmission.

I talked to the service tech later and they decided to not do anything at the time. They acknowledged Ford was working on a fix, but no solution yet.

I wasn't expecting them to do anything on it today, but was hoping they will send my problem up the chain so that ford knows about it. We'll see.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:46 AM
mtflyboy25
3rd Gear Member

great now I am afraid of hearing the tranny... I have had rough shifts, but every car I ever owned did that.. especially when it is cold.. I dont think I have heard the noise though.. what does it sound like?
Old 01-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

to possibly answer the questions about when 2012's will arrive. The day i ordered mine (the 21st) they said their ordreing system had just changed over to the 2012 that day, and mine should be one of the first several made, they said to expect it in 8 weeks. which would put it at the end of march.

also.. glad i got the auto
Old 01-26-2011, 08:32 PM
hand-filer

Originally Posted by Mr.Bape
Will the 2012's have this same problem? I sure hope not.....
I hope not too, I just ordered one. I'm confident it was dealt with before the end of the 2011 run.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:41 PM
95PreludeSi
1st Gear Member

Picked my car up on on 2/1 after having the brake pads replaced for a constant squeaking noise. Asked again about an update on the trans. My local dealer hasn't heard anything yet other than "they are working on it"
Old 02-02-2011, 10:29 PM
sugarprobe

Originally Posted by 95PreludeSi
Picked my car up on on 2/1 after having the brake pads replaced for a constant squeaking noise. Asked again about an update on the trans. My local dealer hasn't heard anything yet other than "they are working on it"
Do you have the Brembo's? I've heard that is normal due to the material used for the high performance pads. Mine are the Brembos and do the same thing. I watched a Shelby 350, Mustang GT Miller race car, ZO6 and ZR1 at Barrett Jackson playing round on a little track. All their brakes were squealing.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:47 PM
95PreludeSi
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sugarprobe
Do you have the Brembo's? I've heard that is normal due to the material used for the high performance pads. Mine are the Brembos and do the same thing. I watched a Shelby 350, Mustang GT Miller race car, ZO6 and ZR1 at Barrett Jackson playing round on a little track. All their brakes were squealing.
I have the standard brakes. I don't mind normal squeaking when stopping. This was constant squeaking that only went away when braking. My theory is the oem standard pads must be semi-metallic, and some of the pad seperated and was dragging when the brakes weren't engaged. I was more concerned it was a wheel bearing or diff bearing so that's why I took it in. They wanted to replace the pads, so who am I to argue with free pads? The noise is gone now.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:56 PM
3rdtry

Default Feels like an old car

Originally Posted by AKElroy
Mine is shifting fine at 1000 miles, but it just started making noise in first and second. The sychros are whining like a hewland straight cut box. It is cold here, so it may just be the weather. Anyone else hearing the whine?
Shifting is getting worse, problem has spread to third gear now. I am so disgusted with this. I'm questioning my decision to buy this car. I thought things were better with American cars now, but Ford isn't exactly making me a believer. This needs to be FIXED.

Quick Reply: 2011 5.0 Rough Manual Shift