Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

New 5.0 upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 10:01 AM
BrunoFrog

Default New 5.0 upgrades?

I have purchased a new 5.0 Premium Convertible and have a few questions.
1. I plan to install 1.5 in Lowering Springs (Ford). Is that a good idea?
2. I plan to install Ford's 49-State Mufflers. ?
3. I plan to install the JTL Breather and Flash Tuner. Is that going to get rid of the Skip Shift?

This is my first Mustang and I want it to be right! I welcome all comments. Thanks, Bruno
Old 11-19-2010, 11:36 AM
sugarprobe

Congrats.
Do you have the GT brembo package? I've been considering a 1" drop as well but my car with 19's sits pretty low and rides very sporty. I lowered my 07 Mustang & 09 Challenger RT and loved it. But the RT needed it as it road like a caddy and sat high. The 07 GT sat a bit high and road a little more soft than my 5.0 but was close when I dropped it. I'm not sure how I'll like the ride in this one especially with our streets.

I haven't heard those mufflers. I plan on a Pypes delete system. Sounds how it should have been from factory.

The JLT, steeda, roush etc & SCT tuner combos seem to be getting some great HP n torque #'s for people. been hearing 40 hp & 40 torque. The torque is especially great cause these cars need the extra down low. I'd rather have a torque monster than a hp monster as most of the driving average people do is normal speed limit and torque is fun at low speed. Remember Torque gets you there. HP will hold you there.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:15 PM
HareBrained
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrunoFrog
I have purchased a new 5.0 Premium Convertible and have a few questions.
1. I plan to install 1.5 in Lowering Springs (Ford). Is that a good idea?
2. I plan to install Ford's 49-State Mufflers. ?
3. I plan to install the JTL Breather and Flash Tuner. Is that going to get rid of the Skip Shift?

This is my first Mustang and I want it to be right! I welcome all comments. Thanks, Bruno
1. Check out the handling sections of the forum for more details: Really bad idea if you're not going to install new struts/shocks, and just a generally bad idea to go with Ford's Perf Package. The stock dampers are woeful and should be the first upgrade, and teaming them with stiffer springs will be a disaster for you comfort. 1.5" is borderline too much. There are definitely better overall solutions.

2. The cost of the Ford components and install is going to be significantly more than you'll spend for aftermarket. If you're changing the sound, you might as well look at the axle back systems that are bolt-in and do it yourself. There are a few here who have simply gotten a local muffler shop to put a system together for them, and it's usually cheaper than buying a pre-made system.

3. Most tuners have removed the skip-shift from their tunes. You best source will be where you buy the system. Bama (American Muscle) does.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Ripper Alpha
1st Gear Member

Before asking opinions on what you should do to your GT. You should state what your goals are going to be for the car. DO NOT start modding the car without a goal in mind.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:58 AM
BrunoFrog

Well, to state what I thought was obvious: I want to lower the car, open the exhaust, open the intake, and flash tune it while also removing the skip shift feature. My Bad!
Old 11-20-2010, 06:20 AM
BrunoFrog

Thanks Bro; exactly what I was looking for. I'm currently in Afghanistan and the car was ordered for delivery. My wife is doing that so I was attempting to simplify things by using the Ford products. Based on your advice, I researched the Steeda products. What do you think of the following:
Steeda Handling Pak - Stage 3 - 05-10
Steeda Axle-Back Exhaust - GT - 2011
Steeda Ultimate Induction Pak - GT - 2011 [/B][/B]

I figure I will just order the stuff, have it delivered to the house, and have my wife take it to the local shop for install; it would be nice to have the car finished when I get home. Let me know what you (et al) think. Vr, Bruno
Old 11-20-2010, 07:57 AM
captcarb

I think I would wait and drive the car before ordering parts.

My front air dam is 5.5 inches off the floor. That is low enough for me.

The 2010 front struts will not fit a 2011 unless you use 2010 upper mounts or a special spacer.

The convertible needs a specific rear bar.

I would wait and talk to Sam Strano or the suspension tuner of your choice for help in deciding what you need. They will have insights based on experience that they can share with you and probably save you money and get you good performance.

For instance, after extensive reading I have decided that the first mod will be Koni sports, (yellows).
Old 11-20-2010, 10:37 AM
Joe in Dublin
2nd Gear Member

Go with ford products, do one of their suspension set ups. I just ordered the power pack for mine. the tune seems to have realistic numbers and deletes skip ****. their suspension kit lowers car 1inch. thats plenty...
Old 11-20-2010, 02:22 PM
hand-filer

Well, to state what I thought was obvious: I want to lower the car, open the exhaust, open the intake, and flash tune it while also removing the skip shift feature. My Bad!
You did state the obvious and you are going to get constructive comments from most people.
There are always going to be exceptions to that unfortunately.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:10 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

If you just said that, maybe, just maybe, every single one of us would have understood that!!!!

Sorry, I kid. I'm an internet smart-*** sometimes

Quick Reply: New 5.0 upgrades?