Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Fuel Gauge Problems

Old 12-27-2010, 09:23 PM
zachcrosen
1st Gear Member

Default Fuel Gauge Problems

I posted this over on The Mustang Source and wanted to see if anyone over here has seen these problems. Below is what I posted over there. To sum it up, I have been contacted on the forum by a Ford rep as well as by phone.

Post 1:
My new 2011 GT last week and have put about 200 miles on it since I got it. It did something wierd tonight and I was wondering if anyone else has seen this. My DTE in my info center said about 130 +/- and I had between 1/4 and 1/2tank of gas left. I was driving down the road and all of a sudden, my DTE goes to 4 miles until empty and my gauge goes to E and turns red. Then, I immediately put $20 in premium in it because I wasn't sure of WTF was going on and then my gauge says almost full and my DTE is up to around 250-280 (cant remember specifics). Has anyone seen this on the new ones? I had an '08 for just over 2 years and never saw this.

Post 2:
I just wanted to update everyone on this. I did get a call from a Ford rep last Thursday and told her I would be contacting my local dealership to have them look at the problem. She was super nice!!

Now, yesterday, I had more issues with the car. When I got out of the car on Christmas Eve night, my DTE read in the neighborhood of 115 until empty and my gauge was around 3/8 full. I got in the car yesterday and let the car warm up for about 15 minutes (we got some snow). The gauge said EMPTY and the DTE read 4 left. So, I ignored that and drove on. I drove about 20 miles and ran out of gas on the side of the snow covered 2 lane road. I had my wife following me and she went back to get some gas. I used the little funnel included in the trunk and put roughly 2.5 gallons in the car. The car started right up adn I drove about 20 miles to the gas station and was going to fill up. Well, it would ONLY hold about 8.5 gallons. So, my math tells me it would ONLY hold about 11 gallons when its a 16 (??) gallon tank. What gives here.

Then, this morning, when I got in the car, my info center told me to check my fuel filler door.

I have an appointment Wed morning to have Ford look at this. I'll report back what happens out of that unless I have to postpone the appointment; which is a whole different story!
Old 12-28-2010, 12:44 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

There is a TSB for this. I think I saw it listed on another forum.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:57 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

Here's an article about the TSB. http://www.stangtv.com/news/ford-iss...-pump-modules/
Old 12-28-2010, 11:24 PM
zachcrosen
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the link. I had heard that there was a TSB but I didnt know where to look for it.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:53 PM
zachcrosen
1st Gear Member

Got my fuel pump replaced today and drove about 40 miles since. My DTE reads around 80-90 which is as low as it has ever read so I think my problem is fixed.... That one anyway! When the dealer tech was removing the fuel pump, they splattered gas on the back of my driver's side back seat and now they have to replace the leather as it ruined it.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Steven79

How on earth did they splatter gas inside your mustang? I think my new 2011 GT is having this problem also. How do they access the fuel tank to replace the FPM?

Please let me know.. thank u
Old 01-08-2011, 06:12 PM
zachcrosen
1st Gear Member

Steven79, from what I understand, they have to remove the back seat bottom and then you can get to it but im not certain. I don't know how they got gas on the seat bit they did. The TSB definitely fixed my problem though.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Steven79

Thank you Zach, then the question would be.. can this entire situation be remedied if I never let the fuel drop under half a tank?

My situation occurred today and it was EXACTLY as you described.

However, I am very hesitant to let them remove my back seats, etc... I am willing to just never drive more than 150 miles before refilling (as this is not a daily driver car).

So I wonder if I kept the tank always over half full, if the problem is "remedied".?
Old 01-08-2011, 06:56 PM
zachcrosen
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Steven79
Thank you Zach, then the question would be.. can this entire situation be remedied if I never let the fuel drop under half a tank?

My situation occurred today and it was EXACTLY as you described.

However, I am very hesitant to let them remove my back seats, etc... I am willing to just never drive more than 150 miles before refilling (as this is not a daily driver car).

So I wonder if I kept the tank always over half full, if the problem is "remedied".?
They only had to take out the seat bottoms and not the backs too. Im not sure how the tank fills up, but I would probably just get it fixed. I dont know what the long term effects are of the bad pump; we are finding out what the short term effects are though.

My thought is that we have new cars that should act correctly and if you have something defective under the TSB, you deserve to have it in correct working order. After all, these are $30k+ cars! I'd fix it if I were you.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:51 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I was under the impression the fuel pump can be accessed from the truck, just under the spare tire well. I had no idea the '11 GTs had the pump under the back seat of all things!

This is good to know, just in case I want to up my fuel injectors and need to upgrade my fuel pump to feed them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Problems