Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Put the new 5.0 on a dyno today

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Dnet

Default Put the new 5.0 on a dyno today

Well, as the title states, I put my 2011 GT on the dyno today. I just got finished putting a cam, springs and underdrive pulley on my brother's 2010 SS and he wanted to go get it tuned and and put on the dyno so I thought I would drive down to his town and put the new GT on there and see what she did. It is 100% bone stock, 6-speed manual with 3.73's. Results are not too shabby - the guy at the dyno said average LS3's put down 360's bone stock so I am pretty happy with the results - we always wish for more, of course. The blue line graph was in 4th gear, red line graph was in 5th. It was on the dyno all of 5 minutes - one pull in 4th, one pull in 5th and it was done. I don't know if we could have pulled any better if he had done a few more 5th gear pulls but oh well, it is a good starting point. Car had 600 miles on it at time of dyno.

My brother's 2010 SS LS3 with 1-7/8" longtubes, Kook's full 3" exhaust, no cats, cold air kit, cam, underdrive pulley and tuned put down 451hp....

What do you all think? Good, bad?

Last edited by Dnet; 01-14-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:00 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Hi, what are the differences between 4th & 5th gear dyno runs? Every time a see a dyno run on a stock 5.0 it varies from 340 to 370 hp and 290 to 350 TQ. What causes this: low mileage(new), testing in different gears or manufacturing of the engine?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Dnet

Originally Posted by daredevil95
Hi, what are the differences between 4th & 5th gear dyno runs? Every time a see a dyno run on a stock 5.0 it varies from 340 to 370 hp and 290 to 350 TQ. What causes this: low mileage(new), testing in different gears or manufacturing of the engine?
Everyone typically does their dyno pulls in the gear that is 1:1, and that happens to be 5th gear on the new Mustang. I assume it gives best accuracy or maybe it is just for consistency, not sure. I just had him do a 4th gear pull out of curiosity from stuff I had heard here and there. I was a little bummed on the hp for my car, but the guy said LS3's average 360's on his dyno (he has seen a couple pull 380) so I guess it really aint too bad after all. Torque was pretty good compared to other dynos I have seen of the 5.0.

As far as the differences, I think it is pretty common on any car - new Camaros with the LS3 seem to average 360-390. I am sure it is a combination of a lot of things like dyno, manufacturing, etc. and they all tend to pick up power after break-in. But I am certainly no expert.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:14 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dnet
Everyone typically does their dyno pulls in the gear that is 1:1, and that happens to be 5th gear on the new Mustang. I assume it gives best accuracy or maybe it is just for consistency, not sure. I just had him do a 4th gear pull out of curiosity from stuff I had heard here and there. I was a little bummed on the hp for my car, but the guy said LS3's average 360's on his dyno (he has seen a couple pull 380) so I guess it really aint too bad after all. Torque was pretty good compared to other dynos I have seen of the 5.0.

As far as the differences, I think it is pretty common on any car - new Camaros with the LS3 seem to average 360-390. I am sure it is a combination of a lot of things like dyno, manufacturing, etc. and they all tend to pick up power after break-in. But I am certainly no expert.
ok....thanks. It will be accurate enough to add up the HP difference when installing after-market parts. Thanks for explaining the 1:1 dyno pull.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:48 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

With only 600 mi on the odo, your engine is still not fully broken in yet. This could be a considerable factor why your numbers are bad. Plus since you are in central Tx, and there is alot of moisture in the air, it could be that the moistue was heavy enough to overwhelm the SAE correction station.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Dnet

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
With only 600 mi on the odo, your engine is still not fully broken in yet. This could be a considerable factor why your numbers are bad. Plus since you are in central Tx, and there is alot of moisture in the air, it could be that the moistue was heavy enough to overwhelm the SAE correction station.
Could be - I am actually in Burleson, just south of Fort Worth. The only reason I went to the dyno in Killeen was because my brother lives near there and was taking the car I modded for him to the dyno. I am thinking about going to Speedtek over in Haltom City later sometime before I mod to get a baseline on a dyno closer to home so we will see how it compares. Should be interesting.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:47 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Could be - I am actually in Burleson, just south of Fort Worth. The only reason I went to the dyno in Killeen was because my brother lives near there and was taking the car I modded for him to the dyno. I am thinking about going to Speedtek over in Haltom City later sometime before I mod to get a baseline on a dyno closer to home so we will see how it compares. Should be interesting.
Let us know how it goes?
Old 01-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Your #'s sound on-par with other dyno reports. I've also heard that #'s have increased rather significantly, perhaps 15-20 RWHP or so more, after a minor amount of break-in.

Have you checked out what gains are being had with some of the better custom tunes? If I recall, gains were on the order of 30-40 RWHP.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Dnet

Originally Posted by Nuke
Your #'s sound on-par with other dyno reports. I've also heard that #'s have increased rather significantly, perhaps 15-20 RWHP or so more, after a minor amount of break-in.

Have you checked out what gains are being had with some of the better custom tunes? If I recall, gains were on the order of 30-40 RWHP.
Yeah, I am really not too disappointed with the results - not like 356hp is a bad thing. I will be getting a tune before long I am sure. I am just waiting around a bit - making sure I want to void my warranty, lol - I think I will upgrade the shocks/struts first and then go for the intake and tune.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:29 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I am really not too disappointed with the results - not like 356hp is a bad thing. I will be getting a tune before long I am sure. I am just waiting around a bit - making sure I want to void my warranty, lol - I think I will upgrade the shocks/struts first and then go for the intake and tune.
I just looked at you dyno graph and I noticed that the SAE station reported a 47% humidity!

Forget what I said about humidity overwhelming the SAE station, 47% is humidity is not such a condition.

Oh, and don't worry about your warranty being void. The dealership is prohibited by law form doing that.
The most they can do is deny you warranty work, but they must first prove the tune is the reason for the failure. Otherwise, they must perform the work is something goes wrong.

Quick Reply: Put the new 5.0 on a dyno today