Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 GT Random starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:03 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

From the manual.....pg. 201 0r the online version.

"2. Turn the key to 4 (start), then
release the key as soon as the
engine begins cranking. Your vehicle
has a computer assisted cranking
system that assists in starting the
engine. After releasing the key from
the 4 (start) position, the engine may continue cranking for up to
10 seconds or until the vehicle starts.
Note: Cranking may be stopped at any time by turning the key to the off
position.
Note: If the engine does not start within five seconds on the first try,
turn the key to off, wait 10 seconds and try again. If the engine still fails
to start, press and hold the accelerator to the floor and try again; this
will allow the engine to crank with the fuel shut off in case the engine is
flooded with fuel."

AND....10 seconds is a really long time when waiting for the car to start.....time it some time.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:46 AM
ray bouquet

Thanks everyone, now I know that the procedure is to release the key when the engine begins cranking and let it crank. The first few times I did this I didn't realize the starting system was computer controlled, It's doing what it is supposed to . I just freaked and turned the key to off thinking it was stuck in the start position, My dealer explained it to me yesterday also.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:27 AM
punksie1

Originally Posted by ray bouquet
My 2011 GT has a starting problem, sometimes. When I turn the key to start position sometimes it just keeps cranking the engine over but doesn't start. I have to turn the key to off and restart it. Its like it gets stuck in the start position and cranks but doesn't start. and i have to turn the key to off to stop it from cranking or it would just crank and not fire up. Any one ever have this happen?
2011 5.0 have the same issue, it actually starts but continues cranking,will notify dealer next visit
Old 03-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Eldo In The Weeds

My 2008 4.6L GT does the same thing. It's only once every few months so I have never bothered having the dealer look at it. It always starts the second try, so why worry?
Old 03-15-2011, 06:51 AM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by delirious89
this has happened to my car probably 3 or 4 times before i just kind of shrugged it off because it starts right up after, but im going to mention it to the dealer in the spring
Same here. Has happened to me a handful of times.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Kona5OH

This has happened to me a few times on my 2011 GT but only in the summer. It seems to do it after I drive it for a while, shut it off then go to restart it after 5-10 minutes. I had 2 2006 F-150's that did the exact same thing. I'm not worried about it, it always starts after turning the key off but it's just weird that all the Fords I've owned do the same thing. Maybe the fuel is evaporating in the fuel rails causing a vapor lock.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:36 PM
milkrun49

Default Starting problems.

Good evening. I had 1200 miles on my 2011 Mustang GT when I noticed at times it would try to start but would continue to turn over till I turned the key off. That happened about once a week. To make things worse, Sometimes it would start with the starter still spinning. That caused it to grind on the flywheel causing sparks at night. Every time I turned the key I would cringe. I took it back to the dealer who still couldn't find anything. The next time it happened I said enough is enough. I called Ford directly and they started a case on it. They had me turn it in at the dealer and this time within 24 hours they called me to say that They were going to replace the damaged starter and damaged flywheel. I explained as best I could over a one year period as to what I thought it was. I was right.. I'll get it back within a week after the parts come in. I know Ford knows more than they are saying. I have to give credit to Ford Customer Service at the top. They were great. Still love my Mustang.

1995 Lightning
2002 Lightning
2004 Lightning
2011 Mustang GT
Old 09-07-2012, 09:58 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by milkrun49
Good evening. I had 1200 miles on my 2011 Mustang GT when I noticed at times it would try to start but would continue to turn over till I turned the key off. That happened about once a week. To make things worse, Sometimes it would start with the starter still spinning. That caused it to grind on the flywheel causing sparks at night. Every time I turned the key I would cringe. I took it back to the dealer who still couldn't find anything. The next time it happened I said enough is enough. I called Ford directly and they started a case on it. They had me turn it in at the dealer and this time within 24 hours they called me to say that They were going to replace the damaged starter and damaged flywheel. I explained as best I could over a one year period as to what I thought it was. I was right.. I'll get it back within a week after the parts come in. I know Ford knows more than they are saying. I have to give credit to Ford Customer Service at the top. They were great. Still love my Mustang.

1995 Lightning
2002 Lightning
2004 Lightning
2011 Mustang GT
Wow... You've been a member for over 2 years, but this is your first post... Welcome to the board... Glad to hear they are taking care of the problem.

Don
Old 09-08-2012, 08:58 AM
cruisebaby

Hi Don. Sorry about the lax listings. Since retiring it seems I'm catching up on everything I haven't done in the 30 years I was working. I have always been a Ford guy and miss my Lightnings the most. Ford did it right with the new 5.0. Bye!!
Old 09-08-2012, 09:04 AM
milkrun49

Originally Posted by cruisebaby
Hi Don. Sorry about the lax listings. Since retiring it seems I'm catching up on everything I haven't done in the 30 years I was working. I have always been a Ford guy and miss my Lightnings the most. Ford did it right with the new 5.0. Bye!!
Sorry again. I used my wives computer. (Cruisebady)
Milkrun49...Gary

Quick Reply: 2011 GT Random starting problem