Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 GT Random starting problem

Old 02-14-2011, 06:53 AM
ray bouquet

Default 2011 GT Random starting problem

My 2011 GT has a starting problem, sometimes. When I turn the key to start position sometimes it just keeps cranking the engine over but doesn't start. I have to turn the key to off and restart it. Its like it gets stuck in the start position and cranks but doesn't start. and i have to turn the key to off to stop it from cranking or it would just crank and not fire up. Any one ever have this happen?
Old 02-14-2011, 07:54 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

And so I assume one you turn the key to off and back on again it'll start up fine right? I haven't heard of that one before on the 2011s at all, but it's sorta weird since i would doubt its your battery/alternator since there's clearly juice to do it if it'll fire up after you retry the startup sequence.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

take it in on warranty, see if you can duplicate it for them. fuel pump acting up? I also haven't heard of this as an issue from anyone on the forums.

Last edited by Mishri; 02-14-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:29 PM
delirious89

this has happened to my car probably 3 or 4 times before i just kind of shrugged it off because it starts right up after, but im going to mention it to the dealer in the spring
Old 02-14-2011, 06:33 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

You should actually tell them ASAP. Also, if you can, try to video it messing up like this. That way, regardless of if the techs can reproduce the problem, they can see it mess up, and possibly they can take action to fix your car
Old 02-14-2011, 07:43 PM
KXRM
1st Gear Member

The car's ignition system is computerized now, all our cars will turn over until the engine starts. Essentially we have push button start ignitions but with a key. That is why it does it continues to turn over even though you are no longer putting the key in the start position. You can try this by simply quickly bumping the key to start and back and notice how the engine will keep turning over until it starts. Why the engine isn't starting is definitely something you need to have diagnosed.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:48 PM
outastockjohn
2nd Gear Member

mine did this twice, and what ive noticed is that i just flicked the key and let go. but if i take my time it starts fine.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:17 AM
ray bouquet

outastockjohn, you described exactly what mine does sometimes, turn the key quickly, release it and the engine would crank and continue to crank but not fire up, and continue to crank, after about 2 or 3 seconds I turn the key to off then turn to on and wait a second and then to start, and it fires up instantly.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:06 PM
outastockjohn
2nd Gear Member

those times i didnt turn the key off, but it did fire up i havent had it happen again as long as i turn the key and hold it like in an older car. if that makes sence.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:35 AM
Stockstangs
1st Gear Member

My 2011 GT has done this a couple of times. Someone a while back posted on here about a skip start procedure. Information on it is supposed to be in the owners manual. I have never had the car not start though. Like previous posts, have it looked at if you are having starting issues- ie not starting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 GT Random starting problem