Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

traction control questions

Old 02-23-2011, 11:14 PM
outastockjohn
2nd Gear Member

Default traction control questions

today we got alittle snow wile i was at work. on the way home, i desided to play in an open parking lot. my 07 pony package didnt have traction control, so i never had to turn it off to play around, just rev and let it rip. so i turned it off on my gt today and it seemed like it was still kicking in. then both the off light and the traction control light stayed on, i pushed the botton to turn it on or off and it wouldnt do anything. is that normal? so i then shut the car off and restarted and was able to put it in sport mode and play some more. it seemed like i was able to keep the tires spinning in sport mode. i thought that the traction control would kick in in sport mode. has anyone else come across this?
Old 02-24-2011, 12:46 AM
cjs06
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm, not sure what the deal is. When I turn it off I can spin all day. However, there was this one time when it turned off and said it needed service; 5 minutes later in turned back on. So I'm still confused by my traction controls tactics.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:08 AM
driverdog

Hi,

I verified that the traction control is not totally disabled when you initially hit the button that says traction control off (learned it here on the forums, great forums!).

When you first hit the button, the dash will immediately read "Traction control off".

Next step to totally disable Traction control is to put your foot on the brake, while keeping your foot on the brake, hold/press the traction control button down for about 6 seconds, keep your eye on the dash area that said "Traction control off" and another message will pop up on your dash that reads "Advance control off".

Now your 2011 GT is totally free of its Traction control.

Huge difference in being able to throw your car around and not have it feel like the fuel was cutting on and off.

Last edited by driverdog; 02-24-2011 at 03:18 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:13 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Traction control = tire spinning
Advance Trac = car sliding sideways

This is what it appears to me. Four positions total...change with the brakes on but can be done on the roll with gentle pedal pressure (brake lights on as minimum)
Normal.....all action is limited
Traction Control off.....(one press of button) spin the tires but car must stay straight (or real close to it) or advance trac kicks in to align car.
Sport Mode....(double push of button) Limited playing room with both systems kicking on when the car is off center by a certain degree or spins so much.
Advance Trac Off.....(hold button for 6+ sec) Full control of spin and slide is in the drivers hands.....donut time...
Old 02-24-2011, 09:38 PM
outastockjohn
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the input, but doesnt turning off the advance track also turn off the power steering as well? anyway what about when the weather gets good. what do you guys do at the track. ie. staging, lanching and autox.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:47 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

No, it does not turn off the power steering. There is some info floating around that it does firm up the steering but I have not noticed a difference and I have seen nothing to prove that it does change it.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:56 AM
driverdog

Like AzPete, I too found no difference in steering. I did find that any traction control left on at Autocross will negatively effect the car coming off of tight corners and hurt your times. Learn to modulate your pedal inputs (with traction control off) and your times will be faster than leaving your traction control on. If you are aggressive, you will spin. But conversely, the car rewards with smooth inputs.

Also, a little off topic, on my car, the "skip shift" still wants to go into 4th from 1st whether the traction control is on or off. Some on the forums have said the shifting is altererd away from the "skip shift" when Traction control is off, I did not find this so.

Here is Ford's solution:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12346

Last edited by driverdog; 02-25-2011 at 04:38 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:53 PM
Bad_Pony

Originally Posted by driverdog
Like AzPete, I too found no difference in steering. I did find that any traction control left on at Autocross will negatively effect the car coming off of tight corners and hurt your times. Learn to modulate your pedal inputs (with traction control off) and your times will be faster than leaving your traction control on. If you are aggressive, you will spin. But conversely, the car rewards with smooth inputs.

Also, a little off topic, on my car, the "skip shift" still wants to go into 4th from 1st whether the traction control is on or off. Some on the forums have said the shifting is altererd away from the "skip shift" when Traction control is off, I did not find this so.

Here is Ford's solution:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12346

My solution to skip shift is to just unplug it. Simple.