Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Roush vs GT500 axle back exhaust

Old 03-07-2011, 09:31 PM
chrisblk10

i have the roush axle backs and a bbr 3 inch x pipe on my 11 gt and i love it. it is pretty loud but i love it. i was debating the gt500 mufflers and didnt think they would be loud enough so i went with the roush and im happy with them
Old 03-10-2011, 09:40 AM
petmj1

I'm going to admit, I'm an idiot....I have both! Currently running the GT500 axle backs and really like them but will probably switch back to the Roush during the summer.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:14 PM
grnbayfan
2nd Gear Member

where is the best and cheapest to get these from?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:34 PM
dragline
2nd Gear Member

man, i listened to sound clip after sound clip. one day it was roush for sure then the next i was sure the hushpowers were for me. then i heard the roush in person and was taken aback by how loud they actually were. i asked the dude if he'd done any other exhaust mods and he said that the axle back roush was it. i just couldn't see being that conspicuous. maybe 15 years ago but now, nah. went back to the forums and read several posts about how guys were liking the GT500 mufflers and when i saw the price i figured to give them a try. so, short story long, they're en route from american muscle. less than $300 after mustangforums.com discount. will post when i've swapped them out.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Stockstangs
1st Gear Member

Been running the 500's for about 2 months. I am still very happy with them. I passed an old friend today heading in the opposite direction. I reeved at him. He immediately called me on the cell and asked what I had done to the car. He said it sounded awesome. Not too loud, but loud enough to be noticeable under throttle. Great deep sound with zero drone. Also nice rumble when gearing down. At around 260 a set they are hard to beat. I was at first was concerned them being a stock Ford muffler about them being too tame, this is definitely not the case. Hope you enjoy them!
Old 03-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Stockstangs
1st Gear Member

GRNBAYFAN- I picked mine up from Latemodel Restoration. I am restoring a 91 fox and purchase alot of parts from them. They usually are reasonable on pricing. 260-280 I think for a set. 14.99 on all shipping, including motors. Great customer service also!
Old 03-12-2011, 08:25 AM
grnbayfan
2nd Gear Member

just ordered mine from there. funny thing is the list cost for one of the stock mufflers is almost what these both cost.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:00 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stockstangs
Been running the 500's for about 2 months. I am still very happy with them. I passed an old friend today heading in the opposite direction. I reeved at him. He immediately called me on the cell and asked what I had done to the car. He said it sounded awesome. Not too loud, but loud enough to be noticeable under throttle. Great deep sound with zero drone. Also nice rumble when gearing down. At around 260 a set they are hard to beat. I was at first was concerned them being a stock Ford muffler about them being too tame, this is definitely not the case. Hope you enjoy them!
The GT500's are definately not tame I also love the grumble when gearing down...that's probably my favorite thing about these. I was also worried about buying OEM, but these are damn near perfect if you want muscle without being obnoxious.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:38 AM
kbmag1

Has anyone removed the resonators with the GT 500's? Would this give some added volume while keeping the desired sound of the GT 500's?
Old 03-12-2011, 12:58 PM
ccbulldog
1st Gear Member

just ordered the GT500s from Late model restoration. $269 plus $15 shipping.
Thanks guys for all your advice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roush vs GT500 axle back exhaust