Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Supercharger VS Turbo Charger for the 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 11:11 AM
WildWes11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
as far as in the 5.0? Supercharger! why? there is no good place to mount a turbo, rear mount kits is all i've seen, which apparently suck.

turbos are more efficient in that they use your wasted exhaust to create power, superchargers take power to make power. so on little 4 cyl that dont put out much power n/a turbos make sense, on a v8? only if your goal is maaasive boost/power needing a built engine, a supercharger or turbo can put out equal power levels on the stock engine and blow it up, but for big power you'll reach an area where you have to get some specialty big *** blower to make the power a cheaper turbo or twin turbo can do. Just about every person with a built engine with big goals has tried superchargers and ended up with turbo(s). some have stuck with them, but not the majority... unless i can see a poll to prove otherwise

Go look up hellion's single turbo kit for the 5.0 and come back and say there is no good place to mount a turbo
Old 06-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Swoope

Originally Posted by WildWes11
Go look up hellion's single turbo kit for the 5.0 and come back and say there is no good place to mount a turbo
maybe you should look again. horrible ic placement and the air filter and location is a joke.

no airflow to the ic and the air filter is so small and in such a bad location it would have to be changed a whole lot..

beers
Old 06-12-2011, 08:25 PM
WildWes11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Swoope
maybe you should look again. horrible ic placement and the air filter and location is a joke.

no airflow to the ic and the air filter is so small and in such a bad location it would have to be changed a whole lot..

beers
Pretty sure he said turbo not ic ... that can always be mounted lower or take the support out and mount it there. But truthfully to each his own, I'd always rather have a turbo unless I track(not drag) the car.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:40 AM
Swoope

Originally Posted by WildWes11
Pretty sure he said turbo not ic ... that can always be mounted lower or take the support out and mount it there. But truthfully to each his own, I'd always rather have a turbo unless I track(not drag) the car.
you miss the point.

yep they got a good place for the turbo. and screwed everything else up...

but, hey they got a kit out, and some#s well kinda, they seem to have obscured them.

beers
Old 07-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Element155
1st Gear Member

as far as in the 5.0? Supercharger! why? there is no good place to mount a turbo, rear mount kits is all i've seen, which apparently suck.

turbos are more efficient in that they use your wasted exhaust to create power, superchargers take power to make power. so on little 4 cyl that dont put out much power n/a turbos make sense, on a v8? only if your goal is maaasive boost/power needing a built engine, a supercharger or turbo can put out equal power levels on the stock engine and blow it up, but for big power you'll reach an area where you have to get some specialty big *** blower to make the power a cheaper turbo or twin turbo can do. Just about every person with a built engine with big goals has tried superchargers and ended up with turbo(s). some have stuck with them, but not the majority... unless i can see a poll to prove otherwise
not 100% correct, hellion makes a real nice turbo kit and it locates the turbo low and upfront, bad ***
Old 07-15-2011, 10:23 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

nope, everyone who has seen it in other forums says its a **** design with poor placement, not worth buying.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:28 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Regardless of year or car for that matter, it's always the same debate. I had a P1SC procharger in my 06 stang GT, then went with a 67mm turbo, then a 76mm on the same car. The car got to 10.0 at 136 mph with the 76mm at 22 lbs boost. Not sure what the rwhp was (something we never focused on), but likely in the 700 range??? Now car has been rebuilt again and chasing low 9s with the same 76 (although many other changes).

Went turbo because more practical to make small incremental boost changes from the cockpit at the dragstrip, while datalogging. Likely an F1 Procharger would have yielded similar ET results though.

If you go turbo, make sure it's sized for the application. Bigger is not necessarily better with turbos, and would rather go with a bigger single than twins for racing. I noticed significant lag going from 67 to 76 in street driving. At the strip any lag is eliminated with the correct build.

Last edited by forensicsteve; 07-15-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:51 PM
Element155
1st Gear Member

roushcharged tbs of course 13lbs of boost an a touch of m1
Old 07-20-2011, 10:53 PM
Element155
1st Gear Member

looks good too, I say got tvs, awesome low end torque and makes good power
Old 07-21-2011, 11:12 PM
CJStang50
1st Gear Member

I'm not a fan of centri blowers... all of the boost lag of a big turbo with none of the torque that's not to say it wont be a fast car, but I think you'd be faster with a whipple or a turbo.
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr wrooooooooooooooooooooooong! lol my car builds boost NOWHERE near what it's like in a big turbo car. And depends what whipple kit you're talking about, it's not as simple as just saying "a whipple". IMO.

Last edited by CJStang50; 07-21-2011 at 11:12 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Quick Reply: Supercharger VS Turbo Charger for the 5.0