Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Supercharger VS Turbo Charger for the 5.0

Old 03-13-2011, 07:41 PM
Imastang

Default Supercharger VS Turbo Charger for the 5.0

So I searched the forum and I did not find a topic on this so I would like to pose the questions - for the Coyote which is better a Turbo or Super Charger?
And what mods HAVE to be done if you do this?
Fuel?
Plugs?
CAI?
Old 06-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Jay_C123
2nd Gear Member

BUMP! I wanna know this too!!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:37 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Hard to qualify either as better, as they both have pluses and minuses. Keep searching . There are sooo many topics on here about superchargers and turbochargers. Don't limit yourself to the forum, as much of the info can be universally applied.

Google it up!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:42 PM
CJStang50
1st Gear Member

It really depends on your application and the style in which you drive the car. Daily driver, think more supercharger. Track car, consistent momentum and high revs, turbo charger. Give us a little more on the way you intend to drive the car, so we know what's right for you.

Last edited by CJStang50; 06-01-2011 at 11:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Imastang

My car is a daily driver, I will take it to the track on the weekends and do some Autocross driving with it on occasion but mostly daily and I really do not want to get into modifying the internals of the engine. Ideally I am thinking about getting the Bos 302 intake with a Bama tune run that and then go with a procharger (from what I have read) the other way I am thinking is waiting and going with the eforce. I have not seen many on this forum with Turbo chargers so that is why I generated the question to make sure I am not overlooking something
Old 06-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

as far as in the 5.0? Supercharger! why? there is no good place to mount a turbo, rear mount kits is all i've seen, which apparently suck.

turbos are more efficient in that they use your wasted exhaust to create power, superchargers take power to make power. so on little 4 cyl that dont put out much power n/a turbos make sense, on a v8? only if your goal is maaasive boost/power needing a built engine, a supercharger or turbo can put out equal power levels on the stock engine and blow it up, but for big power you'll reach an area where you have to get some specialty big *** blower to make the power a cheaper turbo or twin turbo can do. Just about every person with a built engine with big goals has tried superchargers and ended up with turbo(s). some have stuck with them, but not the majority... unless i can see a poll to prove otherwise

Last edited by Mishri; 06-02-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:01 PM
CJStang50
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Imastang
My car is a daily driver, I will take it to the track on the weekends and do some Autocross driving with it on occasion but mostly daily and I really do not want to get into modifying the internals of the engine. Ideally I am thinking about getting the Bos 302 intake with a Bama tune run that and then go with a procharger (from what I have read) the other way I am thinking is waiting and going with the eforce. I have not seen many on this forum with Turbo chargers so that is why I generated the question to make sure I am not overlooking something
The turbo option comes from Hellion, in the form of either a Precision or Turbonetics 65 or 76mm unit. To be honest, I'm not a fan. My car's used in exactly the way you intend to use yours. Procharger to BOSS intake is what I run. And to be honest, I couldn't be happier with it. As I've commented on the boards before, triple digit speeds with this package come quick and it's almost as though the BOSS comes alive EXACTLY when you hit max boost. Epic dude, absolutely epic.

Moroso2 by cameronjarki, on Flickr
Old 06-02-2011, 08:54 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

when i was searching for FI on my 10 i called around about turbo kits. i had several major tuners tell me they're not a great idea. iirc it was brenspeed that said the kits had so much torque things tend to break easily.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Entrenched
1st Gear Member

Default Maybe Biased

2011 5.0L stock short block
Procharger Stage II D1SC @ 10.3psi
13* of timing
93 w/32oz of torco in 10 gallons
RR12S Brisk Silver plugs
ARH Longtubes with o/r x pipe
Magnaflow comp catback

installed pics of underhood goodies:

clutch

Rear

front

Dyno vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AUYai5fnQg

Best graph

Old 06-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I'm not a fan of centri blowers... all of the boost lag of a big turbo with none of the torque that's not to say it wont be a fast car, but I think you'd be faster with a whipple or a turbo.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Supercharger VS Turbo Charger for the 5.0