Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Budget CAI

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 03:03 PM
NightMare_12GT
1st Gear Member

Default Budget CAI

Planning on gettin the Bama Tunes from AM in the near future, but undecided on CAI. No matter how you look at it, the CAI doesnt add THAT much performance (unlike the tunes), yet it still costs about the same (a little over $300). I'm not looking to squeak out every ounce of power, and in fact power is not what i'm looking at for the CAI -- efficiency is. I want to get a few better mpgs if possible (at least to offset the tune).

Strictly speaking mpgs, is one CAI better than another? Has anyone considered making their own CAI? What about just replacing the stock filter? What is it about the stock system that makes it restrictive -- the filter or the design?

Make some suggestions. I'm not really interested in spending $300 to get a few horsepower.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:04 PM
Falcon Fixer
2nd Gear Member

You get more from the "Combo" than just a tune itself.
The tune is set up for the intake.
The stock intake is very restrictive and inefficient.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:04 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

If you're looking for the best bang-for-the-buck, look no further than the JLT plastic intake. They're cheaper than the other aftermarket options, undercutting even the Airaid by about $30.00 depending on where you shop.

As far as power gains go, almost all of the aftermarket intakes provide damn near the same gains, usually within 1-3hp/tq of each other. Brand loyalty, price and looks are really the only distinguishing difference between the lot. Steeda, JLT, Airaid, C&L etc - can't go wrong with any of them.

An aftermarket intake is a viable mod if you plan to race, or just rev it to even the stock redline. The stock intake really chokes this motor at high RPM, and even higher, the stock manifold does as well. Gains above 4000 RPM are pretty stout, and well worth the cash.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:26 PM
NightMare_12GT
1st Gear Member

what are mpg gains (if any)
Old 03-21-2011, 09:20 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i've never had any mod give me better mpg's.
each mod makes my right calf muscle stronger.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:31 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

I concur on the JLT cold air intake and custom tuner! The JLT plastic intake is one of the highest flowing and highest horsepower gaining intakes on the market. We went 11.64 with this cold air intake, boss manifold, L&M throttle body and off-road X-pipe on our Auto 2011 GT. Highly, highly recommended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGw4zou6Nws

Last edited by AMChrisRose; 03-21-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:56 PM
NightMare_12GT
1st Gear Member

If I was gonna pay $300+ for a CAI it'd be either the JLT or Airraid. The issue isnt which one of the expensive aftermarkets. I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to get any kind of better flow without spending a couple hundred bucks.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:47 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Ahhh, in that case, the only thing would be a panel air filter, but that's not going to do much, honestly. Or you could custom make an inlet tube, but at that point it's worth just buying a CAI. You already have a cold air duct, so I don't think you'd see much more out of the stock box/filter.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I ordered my 5.0 6 days before you did yours, and I still haven't received any build date, im calling my dealership..

edit: i called they said that the order status shows its on hold because they are waiting for 5.0 engines

Last edited by Mishri; 03-22-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Truckbutt
Banned

I recently bought the Steeda CAI. It was a PITA to install because the instructions are so bad. The main rubber gasket that seals it to the hood doesn't stay on the airbox, so I'll have to use some weatherstripping adhesive.
The sheet metal box is very sharp on the edges and I cut my finger pretty good. At least it works.

I agree with your choice of the Bama tunes. I bought the SCT X3 from American Muscle with 3 custom tunes for 93 octane. I'm currently using the 93 Street Tune. The car is a monster. AM was great in e mailing me the tunes as well as pre-installing them on the X3. Now I can keep them secure on a thumb drive in case the X3 gets damged/lost/stolen.

Quick Reply: Budget CAI