Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Clutch Slippage

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 07:34 PM
Stockstangs
1st Gear Member

Default Clutch Slippage

I know there have been numerous posts about clutch issues, and even bolts backing out. My question is, has anyone experienced any clutch slippage when driving and shifting extremely hard. I may just be paranoid. I can't seem to replicate the effect except by running and shifting near redline. I used to break traction on the 1-2 shift pretty good. Now it is like the clutch slips for about 2 seconds before grabbing and not breaking traction. The car has around 7500 miles on it. Is this a result of the bolts backing out. I also have the rough shift issues. I wasn't going to take it in until it got real bad- it is liveable now. The clutch doesn't slip from a dead stop burnout- or at least what I can tell. I know if I take it in the only way to replicate the problem is to drive it extremely hard. But, that is what I bought it for. It does the same with traction control on or off. It just used to spin farther with it off. Now it just feels like the clutch won't hold the motor- that may not make much sense but I am not a mechanic. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

If you're constantly abusing it then the clutch (and possibly the flywheel) are glazed. You're most likely better off get an aftermarket carbon fiber clutch setup and having your flywheel resurfaced while you're at it.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Stockstangs
1st Gear Member

I will definitely replace the clutch and flywheel later on down the road. But with less than 8000 miles on it, mostly driven by my wife- I think this will be something the dealership should handle. I drive the car the way it was made to be driven. But I rarely drive the car, not enough to tear the clutch out of it. The clutch doesn't slip if I put it under stress-ie 45mph in 6th gear and giving it gas. If the clutch was bad usually it will slip in this type of situation by putting the stress on the assembly. I feel that there is a defective part(s) somewhere and it should be warrantied. I have a 91 Fox with the original clutch and it doesn't respond in this manner. It is my daily driver for over 3 years- no clutch issues. 120,000 on original clutch. It just seems hard to believe the Coyote's clutch is gone after 6 months. Other than that, it is a amazing car- I am very happy with it. I just think there is a weak link somewhere. Maybe time will tell. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:54 PM
wproctor411
1st Gear Member

I noticed this with traction control on. TC off and it has a better feel IMO.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:41 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
If you're constantly abusing it then the clutch (and possibly the flywheel) are glazed. You're most likely better off get an aftermarket carbon fiber clutch setup and having your flywheel resurfaced while you're at it.
^^^This!

If you have hit redline and tried to slip your clutch into gear while at redline, you will glaze it fast. Slipping the clutch should only be done for low speed DD.

I hate to say it, but with these chinese made MT82 trannies, rough shifting is a fact of life. It could be design, or it could be poor manufacturing practices from the factory in China (i.e. the gears were made of the wrong materials, or the tolerances were not set correctly, or both).
Old 03-27-2011, 08:18 AM
Stockstangs
1st Gear Member

The notchy shifting occurs, but like everyone else it gets better after the car warms up. I don't have a problem shifting the gears at high RPM's, the car just feels like it revvs up for a second or two before it pulls. If the clutch was- is glazed wouldn't I have slippage under other driving conditions? It may be something totally normal. It may be the tires are breaking traction and I don't realize it. lol Something just doesn't feel right when I push it near it's current performance limits. I really don't drive the car very often. The problem could very well be me. I'm going to give it some time and see if it starts to give under normal driving conditions before I take it in. Thanks everyone for the responses!
Old 03-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Paul1588
1st Gear Member

maybe the wife messed it up
Old 03-27-2011, 12:40 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Paul1588
maybe the wife messed it up
OUCH! Not even funny! My ex could not even drive a stick, much less a MT mounted behind a 400+ HP engine!

The only one that will be grinding the gears in my car is me (which fortunately, I have only done so very rarely and only because I was stupid, but fortunately no damage).
Old 03-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Stockstangs
1st Gear Member

She does drive it hard. I am going to have to limit her to the 91 I guess. Uh- nope the Coyote has somewhat of a warranty, but not for burnt clutches. Seriously, i drove it today with Traction Control disabled and it performed fine. Hate to admit it but the problem may have been on my end. I had experienced the car do this between thr 3-4 shift hard but never on the 1-2, or 2-3 shift. Must be the adaptive learning. Does fine without Traction Control on=Driver Error