Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

5.0 with vortech supercharged, go or no go?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 02:56 PM
paquette173

Default 5.0 with vortech supercharged, go or no go?

i'm looking at a 2011 5.0 vortech supercharged 585hp, is this a go or no go ? I don't plan on tracking the car, mabye do a few quater mile runs. The car haves only 4000miles so it should be in good shape. For the motor what is a ''must'' to check. compression check ? I got told the Heads of the motor are not strong or i could blow up the motor. I know that vortech is a great supercharger, i allready had one end it was great! i'm only worried for the 5.0 to blow. Is the motor strong enough

please give me the most feedback as possible

thank you.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:24 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

I would pass on it. They're hinting already that it might have issues. If the car was that great, why would they be selling it with only 4000 miles on it? It's probably had a rough 4000 miles...
Old 04-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

what is the max rated HP a fully stock 2011 motor can handle? Anyone?
Old 04-06-2011, 06:24 PM
MrChicken

Originally Posted by paquette173
i'm looking at a 2011 5.0 vortech supercharged 585hp, is this a go or no go ? I don't plan on tracking the car, mabye do a few quater mile runs. The car haves only 4000miles so it should be in good shape. For the motor what is a ''must'' to check. compression check ? I got told the Heads of the motor are not strong or i could blow up the motor. I know that vortech is a great supercharger, i allready had one end it was great! i'm only worried for the 5.0 to blow. Is the motor strong enough

please give me the most feedback as possible

thank you.
I'd want to talk to the builder and tuner. If it is guy selling and he doesnt have shop that you can check on, run...

I'd also like to see it on the dyno. Ask what it made on the dyno when it was built and tuned and check that against a pull now. If the guy won't do that, run...

Thing about motors, is that once they're hurt, they don't heal themselves. If the guy hurt it driving it or during the tune, it will be you that gets screwed after you buy it.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:54 PM
paquette173

Originally Posted by MrChicken
I'd want to talk to the builder and tuner. If it is guy selling and he doesnt have shop that you can check on, run...

I'd also like to see it on the dyno. Ask what it made on the dyno when it was built and tuned and check that against a pull now. If the guy won't do that, run...

Thing about motors, is that once they're hurt, they don't heal themselves. If the guy hurt it driving it or during the tune, it will be you that gets screwed after you buy it.
I just talked to the builder, seems to be a nice guy. Told me pretty much all about the car, been boosting since 1000 miles. They had a few problemes installing the kit since it was so new, but everything went well. They had 2 small things that broke inbeetween ( forgot the name but nothing to worry about )but they brought it to the dealer end fixed it all on warranty with the supercharger on it. He said he could check up the car monday, Would a compression test say enough or should i do more?
Old 04-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Dacam

Compression testing the engine will only give you failing piston rings, it won't tell you if the connecting rods are about to give way due to boost and hard redline driving.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:02 PM
paquette173

Originally Posted by Dacam
Compression testing the engine will only give you failing piston rings, it won't tell you if the connecting rods are about to give way due to boost and hard redline driving.
ok great, good to know. What else i can check ? Should i do a dyno run or 2 ?
Old 04-06-2011, 11:05 PM
paquette173

I know that each dyno will run different numbers. Even with the same dyno, the temperture end humidity will come play with the number? What should I do?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:30 AM
NaplesFL11GT
3rd Gear Member

I would pass on it personally
Old 04-07-2011, 07:57 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

how much? Might not be a bad deal.

Quick Reply: 5.0 with vortech supercharged, go or no go?