Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Jalopnik Reports Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:46 PM
2011CS/GT
2nd Gear Member

Got 16k miles on mine so far and not one single complaint. I am either lucky or they are not all bad.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:01 AM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2011CS/GT
Got 16k miles on mine so far and not one single complaint. I am either lucky or they are not all bad.
Based on the 3200 posts here: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...hread-210.html

...the reports to the NHTSA

...the Facebook page devoted to this

...the expose abc news is doing on this

...the thousands of Land Rover and Transit Van owners complaining for the past 8 years about the MT82

...the multitude of YouTube videos

...the fact that I'm going on my THIRD MT82 at only 5000 miles

I'd say you're lucky
Old 04-26-2011, 07:39 AM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jmatero
Based on the 3200 posts here: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...hread-210.html

...the reports to the NHTSA

...the Facebook page devoted to this

...the expose abc news is doing on this

...the thousands of Land Rover and Transit Van owners complaining for the past 8 years about the MT82

...the multitude of YouTube videos

...the fact that I'm going on my THIRD MT82 at only 5000 miles

I'd say you're lucky
Haven't had any problems and I do track the car. I'd say you were unlucky.

Cheers.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:04 AM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nemosgt
Haven't had any problems and I do track the car. I'd say you were unlucky.

Cheers.
Thousands of Land Rover Defender, Ford Transit Van, and now 2011 and 2012 Mustang owners are ALL unlucky?
Old 04-26-2011, 12:44 PM
hand-filer

Never mind the Land Rovers and the Transit Vans. We don't know for a fact that they are identical transmissions. Only a Ford or Getrag engineer can tell us that at this point in time.
How many Mustangs have been manufactured with M-82 transmissions and of those, how many have documented issues? You don't know and I don't know. It's merely supposition on your part.
Until someone can offer proof with numbers I will continue to believe the minority are unlucky and the majority are satisfied with their M-82 transmissions.
That's all I have to say and that's all I'm going to say!

Last edited by hand-filer; 04-26-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:26 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

LOL. Land Rover... That's one POS car there, and been that way for 20 years.
I wouldn't worry about its M-82.
Probably the most reliable item on the whole car.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:48 PM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
LOL. Land Rover... That's one POS car there, and been that way for 20 years.
I wouldn't worry about its M-82.
Probably the most reliable item on the whole car.
The Land Rover Defender 2 is currently used by military all over the planet. In fact, if you check your facts, you'll find that reliability was stellar until 2006 when the MT82 replaced the 5-speed.

That speaks volumes. Not sure why some are in denial, but this transmission is clearly problematic... in 3 different vehicles now we're hearing IDENTICAL stories of grinding gears, inability to engage gears, destroyed synchronizers and complete failures at extremely low miles. Does that mean if yours is functioning OK that it will break? No. And I'm happy for you and, to be honest, jealous that you're car is still functioning like it should while mine is stuck on the street outside of my house with, yet, ANOTHER failed MT82.

Last edited by jmatero; 04-26-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:17 PM
raywang5
2nd Gear Member

this annoying, just keep complaining the same **** again and again, this is not the first time new mustang have problem. If YOU are a true mustang fans, you wont complain about all day long about how **** the mustang is, instead, you should do something to fix it. i replace the clutch right away after i got the car to support my supercharger, over 10k mile with nothing happens. you know, even 5 out of 10 people have problems with their mustangs, you just cant stop the passion they have with their mustangs
dont take your problem to a placebo effect....if brand new car hurt your heart, go law suit, go buy Europe cars..i wont go back here again..say what ever you want...

Last edited by raywang5; 04-26-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:24 PM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by raywang5
this annoying, just keep complaining the same **** again and again, this is not the first time new mustang have problem. If YOU are a true mustang fans, you wont complain about all day long about how **** the mustang is, instead, you should do something to fix it. i replace the clutch right away after i got the car to support my supercharger, over 10k mile with nothing else plus over 20times track pass...even 5 out of 10 people have problems with their mustangs, you just cant stop the passion they have with their mustangs
..this is just like placebo effect....if brand new car hurt your heart, go law suit, go buy Europe cars.
Look, you don't even HAVE a 2011/2012 Mustang. My car isn't supercharged. My car isn't tracked. My car isn't abused. I detail it with q-tips.

500 miles: clutch goes
1000 miles: transmission goes
1500 miles: clutch/flywheel/clutch slave goes
4000 miles: transmission fails

When I spend my hard earned $40,000, the car should work. And my story isn't unique... it's becoming the norm. I'm the biggest mustang fan of all... wanted one my whole life after owning foreign cars. Got one, and this mess.

If you don't like the complaining by fellow owners with defective cars, don't be mad at US... be mad at Ford for importing the clutch from Turkey and the transmission from China.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:29 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by jmatero
The Land Rover Defender 2 is currently used by military all over the planet. In fact, if you check your facts, you'll find that reliability was stellar until 2006 when the MT82 replaced the 5-speed.
My facts are checked.
And never mind the fact that I work on cars everyday...
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...ge-rover-2.htm
Also, the hell with the defender 2, I was talking about the brand in general.

I'm sorry you have those issues with your Stang Sir, after wanting one for so long and all...
I would be turned off about the car as well.
Maybe a Shelby would suit you better.

Quick Reply: Jalopnik Reports Transmission Issues