Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 5.0L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 04-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
SteedaGus
Platinum Sponsor

Vehicle: 2006 GT MUSTANG, 08 MERCURY MILAN
Default Steeda vs Airaid vs JLT - which cold air is best?? Look here

No, this is not a "STEEDA is the best" thread. So read on for some really good info!

A few months ago there was a similar thread which I believe got deleted cause I could not find it anymore. Myself and a few others questioned the results of that thread, as it showed one of the intakes with tuning to make less power in the midrange than a stock car which is not true, it also showed one of the intakes making a ton of low end power over the others which was also incorrect.

We knew from our own data for this to be incorrect. Our argument was that these intakes are all close and you really can't go wrong with any one of them. But for the data to be valid for presentation we needed to do pulls on the same car, same day, same dyno. Our data at the time was scattered and not from the same cars, days, etc. Only from the same dyno.

So a few weeks ago we finally got the intakes together for our own shootout, same car, same day, same dyno, etc......

The tunes for this test were setup so timing and fuel were completely stable & consistent, so the differences between just the cold air systems themselves would be revealed. We did not have a stock intake for this car to test, so we baselined the Steeda system with tuning, then swapped each intake, modified the tune to accomodate each intake and made another pull.

So did our shootout back up what we were saying all along???

Click the image to open in full size.

Yes, it did. As you can see, you really can't go wrong with any of these intake systems. They all make comparable levels of horsepower and torque across the entire RPM range.

As we had argued in the past, due to its size the JLT trades off a little bit of low end torque, however to the average user this difference would not be perceptible. Any of these intakes given the same tuning will essentially feel and perform about the same. I am sure some of the JLT's torque loss down low could be minimized with further tuning, but that was not the intent for this test and would have skewed the results. We wanted to show what the intakes themselves will do compared to each other.

So the conclusion? Choose your cold air intake based on your personal preference, because from a performance standpoint, you will not be disappointed by any of the ones in this thread.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Worldwide Sales/Installation Appointments/Tech Support

Installation locations in Pompano Beach Florida and Valdosta Georgia

Mustang Performance Products
Mustang Cold Air Intakes | Mustang Short Throw Shifters | Mustang Gears | Mustang Tuning | Mustang Exhaust
SteedaGus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
redvertstang
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 5.0

I guess this puts the dilemma to rest. Thank you.

One thing, you can pull 404HP on a stock 5.0 with just a CAI and a tune?
redvertstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
SteedaGus
Platinum Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvertstang View Post
I guess this puts the dilemma to rest. Thank you.

One thing, you can pull 404HP on a stock 5.0 with just a CAI and a tune?
If its a manual trans, yes, we've had cars make even more than that.

Automatics will see less.

Mustang Cold Air Intakes | Mustang Short Throw Shifters | Mustang Gears | Mustang Tuning | Mustang Exhaust
Old 05-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
redvertstang
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 5.0

I see. What hp should I see with the new 5.0 auto stock with just the steeda CAI and the tune?
redvertstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 Mustang 5.0

Thanks for the post! this is what I like to see FACTUAL information, not he said/she said fiction that is everywhere.

2011 5.0 Performance White Premium, 3.73's, 401a, Roush Axle Back Mufflers, Eibach Pro Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, Center Fog Grille, staggered 18" FR500 wheels with 255/45/18 and 295/45/18 tires, 20% tint, Weathertech Floor liners, MMD Hood struts, custom rocker stripes

conejo172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

Great validation, TY.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
Alec
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang

Has the age old question that's been asked 10 million times finally been answered?!?!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #8
SteedaGus
Platinum Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvertstang View Post
I see. What hp should I see with the new 5.0 auto stock with just the steeda CAI and the tune?
Automatics typically see mid 380's to the wheels with cold air and tune on a dynojet.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #9
SteedaGus
Platinum Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec View Post
Has the age old question that's been asked 10 million times finally been answered?!?!
I hope so! LOL

Old 05-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
NealAtTheWheel5.0

Vehicle: 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0

I dyno'd 395 to the wheels with the steeda intake and steeda 93 tune and corsa xtreme axlebacks (not a significant difference with the corsa's I know) on a dynojet with a manual... wanted to break 400, but oh well.
NealAtTheWheel5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:24 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2011, 50, air, airaid, airraid, cold, discount, intake, jlt, moe, mustang, od, performance, power, steeda, v6