Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 5.0L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-18-2011, 09:24 AM   #11
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 GT Prem.

What a lot of you don't understand is that the cams do overlap quite a large amount up high - the factory tune actually tunes the overlap out at lower RPMs. The "cammer" tune simply keeps the overlap at idle. So when you say "It makes you sound like you have overlapping cams when you don't," you're actually full of crap because it's had overlapping cams all along.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Delivered 07MAR11
hawkeye18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:08 AM   #12
sugarprobe

Vehicle: 2011 5.0, Black,Brembo,Nav,HID's

So the cam tune is Rice but fake break cooling side scoops & stick on louvers are not?
sugarprobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:09 AM   #13
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 CO Boss 302 #0333

The boss 302 track key adds the cammed sound. My understanding is on the 5.0 the tune is the only way to get the sound since intake and exhaust cams are separate. As for the tunes I have a friend that had all sorts of trouble with the Lund cammed tune and ended up just not using it.

I was also told by a tuner that there is some legal wrangling going on w cammed tunes bc ford was mad that tuners unlocked that feature. Not sure how accurate that is but it would explain a bit why the boss track key is late other than carb.
2012 Boss 302 Competition Orange with Recaros #0333

ShaneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #14
sugarprobe

I can tell ya the LUND tune rocks. Drivability is perfect and sounds wicked.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #15
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 GT Prem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneM View Post
The boss 302 track key adds the cammed sound. My understanding is on the 5.0 the tune is the only way to get the sound since intake and exhaust cams are separate. As for the tunes I have a friend that had all sorts of trouble with the Lund cammed tune and ended up just not using it.

I was also told by a tuner that there is some legal wrangling going on w cammed tunes bc ford was mad that tuners unlocked that feature. Not sure how accurate that is but it would explain a bit why the boss track key is late other than carb.
Ford is mad that tuners unlocked the cam lope? Seriously? That's like being mad at your kid for getting into the chocolate cake that you left open and unattended on the kitchen counter. You should've seen that coming.
Delivered 07MAR11
hawkeye18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #16
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarprobe View Post
So the cam tune is Rice but fake break cooling side scoops & stick on louvers are not?
He makes a good point here...

GT500 Axle Back, resonator delete.
Thrashard340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #17
2c5s

Vehicle: 2012 5.0 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf00 View Post

Either you have cams, or you don't. If you don't and you sound like, you're going to look like tool when a slomaro with a cam pulls up next to you and squashes you.

Is it really a slomaro if it squashes you?
2c5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #18
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 GT 5.0 Coyote
None, Facebook is the Devil! None, Twitter is for Twits! None, I hate it when my boss snoops the net about me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarprobe View Post
To me, personally, yes, non-functional side scoops and hood scoops are poser.
If I were to put on side scoops, I would also take my car to a body shop, saber-saw a holes into the quarter panels, mod the scoops and install them to actually work, and then I would route brake ducts to the rear brakes to cool the rotors.

But are the faux scoops ricey as in distasteful? No, they are not, in most cases. I have seen many faux scoops and they actually make the car look nice.

Squirrel of Death!
Do not **** off the SoD!!!!
JIM5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #19
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 GT 5.0 Coyote
None, Facebook is the Devil! None, Twitter is for Twits! None, I hate it when my boss snoops the net about me

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye18 View Post
Ford is mad that tuners unlocked the cam lope? Seriously? That's like being mad at your kid for getting into the chocolate cake that you left open and unattended on the kitchen counter. You should've seen that coming.
Yep. I agree here too. If there were already a lope tune in the stock tuning tables, Ford should only slap themselves for not securing it by not even installing it into a Boss.

If they wanted to secure this tune feature, they should have left the second ECU completely blank (no tune at all) and when they TracKey tune becomes available for general public consumption, they should only then install the tune with the lope into the second ECU.

Squirrel of Death!
Do not **** off the SoD!!!!
JIM5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #20
sugarprobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashard340 View Post
He makes a good point here...
And lets not forget hood scoops. Now that being said, I do not find those rice. I think they look good on the mustang. I will have the Supersnake 1/4 window scoops soon along with shelby spoiler and just did the side scoops. Having the super snake front end looks mean but leaves the back looking a lil wimpy so... Anyways I say do what you like and if you don't like it keep your thoughts to yourself. I love the lund tune and being that the cams overlap and advance for performance I say the car is cammed from factory. Ford has just tuned out the overlap at idle cause little suzy secretary probably wouldn't like it. Last thought is if the cam tune is rice then I guess when ford made the BOSS 302 someone didn't give them the memo...
Old 05-19-2011, 07:25 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2011, 50, american, cam, cammed, forum, ghost, gt, idle, lund, muscle, mustang, racing, tune, tuner, tuners