Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Ghost cam idle tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:24 AM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

What a lot of you don't understand is that the cams do overlap quite a large amount up high - the factory tune actually tunes the overlap out at lower RPMs. The "cammer" tune simply keeps the overlap at idle. So when you say "It makes you sound like you have overlapping cams when you don't," you're actually full of crap because it's had overlapping cams all along.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:08 AM
sugarprobe

So the cam tune is Rice but fake break cooling side scoops & stick on louvers are not?
Old 05-19-2011, 08:09 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

The boss 302 track key adds the cammed sound. My understanding is on the 5.0 the tune is the only way to get the sound since intake and exhaust cams are separate. As for the tunes I have a friend that had all sorts of trouble with the Lund cammed tune and ended up just not using it.

I was also told by a tuner that there is some legal wrangling going on w cammed tunes bc ford was mad that tuners unlocked that feature. Not sure how accurate that is but it would explain a bit why the boss track key is late other than carb.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:39 AM
sugarprobe

I can tell ya the LUND tune rocks. Drivability is perfect and sounds wicked.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:43 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
The boss 302 track key adds the cammed sound. My understanding is on the 5.0 the tune is the only way to get the sound since intake and exhaust cams are separate. As for the tunes I have a friend that had all sorts of trouble with the Lund cammed tune and ended up just not using it.

I was also told by a tuner that there is some legal wrangling going on w cammed tunes bc ford was mad that tuners unlocked that feature. Not sure how accurate that is but it would explain a bit why the boss track key is late other than carb.
Ford is mad that tuners unlocked the cam lope? Seriously? That's like being mad at your kid for getting into the chocolate cake that you left open and unattended on the kitchen counter. You should've seen that coming.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sugarprobe
So the cam tune is Rice but fake break cooling side scoops & stick on louvers are not?
He makes a good point here...
Old 05-19-2011, 05:45 PM
2c5s

Originally Posted by Derf00

Either you have cams, or you don't. If you don't and you sound like, you're going to look like tool when a slomaro with a cam pulls up next to you and squashes you.

Is it really a slomaro if it squashes you?
Old 05-19-2011, 07:19 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sugarprobe
To me, personally, yes, non-functional side scoops and hood scoops are poser.
If I were to put on side scoops, I would also take my car to a body shop, saber-saw a holes into the quarter panels, mod the scoops and install them to actually work, and then I would route brake ducts to the rear brakes to cool the rotors.

But are the faux scoops ricey as in distasteful? No, they are not, in most cases. I have seen many faux scoops and they actually make the car look nice.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:23 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Ford is mad that tuners unlocked the cam lope? Seriously? That's like being mad at your kid for getting into the chocolate cake that you left open and unattended on the kitchen counter. You should've seen that coming.
Yep. I agree here too. If there were already a lope tune in the stock tuning tables, Ford should only slap themselves for not securing it by not even installing it into a Boss.

If they wanted to secure this tune feature, they should have left the second ECU completely blank (no tune at all) and when they TracKey tune becomes available for general public consumption, they should only then install the tune with the lope into the second ECU.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:25 PM
sugarprobe

Originally Posted by Thrashard340
He makes a good point here...
And lets not forget hood scoops. Now that being said, I do not find those rice. I think they look good on the mustang. I will have the Supersnake 1/4 window scoops soon along with shelby spoiler and just did the side scoops. Having the super snake front end looks mean but leaves the back looking a lil wimpy so... Anyways I say do what you like and if you don't like it keep your thoughts to yourself. I love the lund tune and being that the cams overlap and advance for performance I say the car is cammed from factory. Ford has just tuned out the overlap at idle cause little suzy secretary probably wouldn't like it. Last thought is if the cam tune is rice then I guess when ford made the BOSS 302 someone didn't give them the memo...

Quick Reply: Ghost cam idle tune?