Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

KW V3 Incoming

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 05:30 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ryan Hill
Install got postponed. Parts not in yet.

Hopefully earlier this week. Looking at a stoptech big brake kit next....
I'm not negative on Stoptech - I've had them and I like them, but for this application, there are options available that you might want to think about first.

Take a close look at the FRPP version of the GT500 brakes (M-2300-S). The calipers take FMSI D1001 outline pads which are widely available with lots of choices for pad compounds (it's the rears that are hard to find). The best thing, though, is that the rotors are really inexpensive - the last set of four (front and rear for race pads) I bought cost me $404 from a Ford dealer for all four. That won't buy you one ST rotor. And if you really have to have two-piece front rotors, you can upgrade to a Stoptech Aerorotor assembly (hat and rotor) for the stock GT500 Brembo caliper.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:23 AM
Swoope

Originally Posted by JAJ
I'm not negative on Stoptech - I've had them and I like them, but for this application, there are options available that you might want to think about first.

Take a close look at the FRPP version of the GT500 brakes (M-2300-S). The calipers take FMSI D1001 outline pads which are widely available with lots of choices for pad compounds (it's the rears that are hard to find). The best thing, though, is that the rotors are really inexpensive - the last set of four (front and rear for race pads) I bought cost me $404 from a Ford dealer for all four. That won't buy you one ST rotor. And if you really have to have two-piece front rotors, you can upgrade to a Stoptech Aerorotor assembly (hat and rotor) for the stock GT500 Brembo caliper.
lots or really good track info in this post..

TRACK info. but really sorry, great track info.

for the street. poser. **** the money in the wind. like the coil overs.

i guess it depends on the motive of the post. i am not selling a thing.

beers
Old 06-20-2011, 04:28 AM
Swoope

Install got postponed. Parts not in yet.

Hopefully earlier this week. Looking at a stoptech big brake kit next....
good job!

beers

Last edited by Swoope; 06-20-2011 at 04:31 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:30 AM
Swoope

You need a whopper junior little buddy? It's okay, we'll get you a whopper junior
nope have what i need for the track..

you need a triple to make you think you are fast?

seems you heeded my advice.. but really.

brakes wont add a thing. unless you upgrade the tires to r compounds. then you need to upgrade the pads..

this is if your are going to track the car..

beers
Old 06-20-2011, 04:35 AM
Swoope

Originally Posted by JAJ
Your ability to go quickly at the track is almost more because you're a good driver and less about what you're driving. Skill and ability overcome technology most of the time.

That said, a good handling car is easier to drive fast than a weak handling car, and my preference is "easier". So, I'll think about things like coilovers and just so I have a more relaxing day at the wheel.
more good advice.

but really, double adjustable dampers. just as a daily driver.

must be good to have that loot.

beers
Old 06-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Ryan Hill

Originally Posted by Swoope
more good advice.

but really, double adjustable dampers. just as a daily driver.

must be good to have that loot.

beers
That's right! I've got more money than Jesus.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:53 AM
Ryan Hill

I got iphone money, got Jerry Jones money....
Old 06-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Ryan Hill

Alright, coilovers are on, and I'm a little upset...

First off, the feel of the car with these on is outstanding. The car feels nimble and communicative, it's very confidence inspiring, the car now does a great job of relaying where it's at when going through a quick turn. It's 100% better than stock, gone is the floaty feeling of the stock suspension. It's also not harsh at all, I started out about halfway, and the ride didn't feel appreciably harsher than stock. I've heard once the springs settle in it gets a little harsher, but I went ahead and cranked it up to 15 out of 19 front & back anyway just to play with it and it's definitely stiff, but it's kind of fun to drive that way. It feels like the car lost a couple hundred pounds too. Weighed in at 3596lbs with a half tank of gas btw.

Now on to the bad...

I have a pretty annoying sound coming from the rear end. It sounds much like a heat shield making light contact with a rotor. Sort of a hissing sound, definitely actuated by wheel speed, definitely NOT by braking or going over a bump or anything. It's not tremendously loud, the A\C covers it no problem, but it's a sound that shouldn't be there, and that alone is enough to drive me bat****. I put it on the lift and can't find anything that looks off to save my life. I adjusted the pan hard bar, played with the heat shields, and can't find anything. The other oddity is that it seems to be coming from both of the wheels.

I'm going to sit on it for a week or so and let it settle, then get an alignment done, and see if that does anything, and if it doesn't, I'm taking it back in for a thorough look.

If any of you guys have any suggestions chime away, I'm certainly all ears.

The other problem, as if that wasn't enough, is that my transmission is beginning to feel ragged. I got the clutch on the floor problem a couple times in the last 2 days, and 1-2 shifts at high RPMs feel like dog****. It's tough to get it into gear but even when I can, it feels just terrible. I'm taking it to Ford tomorrow to have that looked into, hopefully it doesn't take too long.

All in all a fairly disappointing day, but I'm hopeful that if I can get these two things cleared up, it's going to be a really unique and fun car to drive. The KW's really make the car sing like a true sports car.

Last edited by Ryan Hill; 06-22-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:21 AM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

It sounds like you've got good results from the coilovers. When I put the KW Clubsports on my V8 M3 I set up the damping on the double adjustable dampers using Koni Racing's instructions. My results were excellent, and the best part was that the car rode well and handled great. The write up is at http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389198.

The noise you're experiencing will be a little tricky to diagnose without more information. Do you hear it through the open windows or through the body inside with the windows rolled up? The former suggests something dragging, the latter would suggest that there's less noise isolation between the axle and the bodywork.

The rear spring stack in my KW Clubsports on the M3 didn't have any rubber isolators between the stack and the lower control arm or the body. The OEM Mustang springs have a rubber isolator pad at one if not both ends, and what you're probably hearing is noise from the axle bearings and diff gears being transmitted up into the body through the springs.

Or it could be something dragging, and you just haven't found it yet.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:11 AM
Ryan Hill

Originally Posted by JAJ
It sounds like you've got good results from the coilovers. When I put the KW Clubsports on my V8 M3 I set up the damping on the double adjustable dampers using Koni Racing's instructions. My results were excellent, and the best part was that the car rode well and handled great. The write up is at http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389198.

The noise you're experiencing will be a little tricky to diagnose without more information. Do you hear it through the open windows or through the body inside with the windows rolled up? The former suggests something dragging, the latter would suggest that there's less noise isolation between the axle and the bodywork.

The rear spring stack in my KW Clubsports on the M3 didn't have any rubber isolators between the stack and the lower control arm or the body. The OEM Mustang springs have a rubber isolator pad at one if not both ends, and what you're probably hearing is noise from the axle bearings and diff gears being transmitted up into the body through the springs.

Or it could be something dragging, and you just haven't found it yet.
That actually sounds like a pretty reasonable possibility. It's not something I had considered but now that you mention it, I did a little alley driving with the windows down and couldn't hear it at all. I *think* it's only with the windows up, inside the cabin, which would make that noise pushing up through the springs sound plausible.

If someone else had heard something similar I could probably put this to bed, maybe put some dynomat in the trunk and get on with life, but I'd like to know that that's what's going on for sure.

Oh and I had actually read your review when researching the coilovers

-- Edit:
One thing about the possibility of it being noise transmission is that I don't hear any other noises at all. No creaking or anything like that.

Last edited by Ryan Hill; 06-23-2011 at 11:56 AM.

Quick Reply: KW V3 Incoming