Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

5.0 gas mileage

Old 10-24-2014, 05:19 AM
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

thanks. well I dont do high throttle pulls out of the gate if that's what you mean about "meant to be driven". Hell like I said 1/2 throttle in my sable is rare for me. I wish I could borrow a 5.0 for like a week to see what I could do with it.
and not to derail but I think I may pick this up:
http://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/4719030937.html
yeah it's a 6 but it's all but loaded and its been lowered to $18K so if I can get it for $16k even $17k I think it would be a good deal.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:49 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by simpsonfan13
thanks. well I dont do high throttle pulls out of the gate if that's what you mean about "meant to be driven". Hell like I said 1/2 throttle in my sable is rare for me. I wish I could borrow a 5.0 for like a week to see what I could do with it.
and not to derail but I think I may pick this up:
http://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/4719030937.html
yeah it's a 6 but it's all but loaded and its been lowered to $18K so if I can get it for $16k even $17k I think it would be a good deal.
Check as many car price websites as you can, edmunds, kbb, nada, etc., and see what they say about the price with an "almost fully loaded" v8. If you aren't going to drive it hard at least sometimes then a v6 will be more than what you need. Also the guy has been trying to sell it for a while, and the price keeps going down, so I bet you could haggle down to whatever he/she owes on the car and get a decent deal out of it.
On another note, if it were my car I would adjust the exhaust tips so they aren't so close to the plastic bumper.

I did a local area craigslist search and found this GT HERE that isn't much more expensive than the v6. Also if you are up by Future Ford of Sacramento they are fairly friendly with mustang buyers, I got mine there and every single person I talked to had a mustang, and most of them were 2014's, 2 of them Shelbys. PM me if you want some contacts there.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:01 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thrashard340
Here's the golden ticket question: Who's using 1-4 skip shift in a manual car? If not, that hurts your MPG against the factory rating as well.

Judging by the posts and responses I have seen on this forum from most of the posters on this thread, I can say with confidence that probably nobody on this thread (including myself) uses the 1-4 skip shift strategy.
the 1-4 skip only exists so the car does better on the EPA fuel economy test. In the real world it's nothing more than a pain in the ***. luckily the way I drive I practically never encounter the forced 1-4 skip so I haven't been arsed to go under there and unplug it.

by the trip computer, my long term average mpg is 20.8 (2012 GT 3.55 rear, 6MT) couple tank fills I've checked here and there go between 19 and 23 depending on city/hwy mix.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:05 PM
giaka

16 to 17 in the city, 20 mixed and 25 to 26 on the freeway. Seems the key is to keep the RPM below 2000 if possible. 6Spd manual with 3.73, Bama 91 street tune, K&N drop in and Gibson axle back.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:16 AM
Bobby B

Cruising on the interstate at 70 mph my GT consistently gets 27 mpg. Around town (suburbia), 21 mpg is the norm. I rarely use all of the 6 transmission gears in normal driving. The shift patterns I use the most are 1-4-6 and 1-3-6.

My GT has has a Bama 87S tune.

Last edited by Bobby B; 01-23-2015 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:23 PM
spectreman
2nd Gear Member

I'd love to know how you guys are getting 27 MPG on a 5.0 engine. When my Stang, a '14 GT w/the track pack & 3.73 rear end, was new & stock, I'd be lucky if I hit 22 MPG on the highway; I don't want to even talk about around town. After the CAI/tune/muffler install @ 7k, the MPG increased maybe a .5 MPG on the highway, almost not noticeable.

I'm not looking for econobox fuel mileage but this ain't remotely close to what Ford claimed it should be & I don't drive her like a race car- she's my daily driver. My right foot is rarely buried. Heck, my former '08 Bullitt w/a 3.73 averaged 27 MPG.

What gives?
Lee
Old 02-08-2015, 03:33 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

the 3.73's don't help in the least bit, some of it has to do with where you live and the gas quality, but even if you don't bury the pedal you probably have driving habits that can be improved upon.
with long distance driving using cruise control can actually hurt mileage compared to just holding the pedal exactly where it needs to be (I can wedge my foot between the pedal and the side of the tranny tunnel and it holds the pedal where I need it to be) This means you will slow down going up hills and speed up going down, but your mileage will increase. That is how I saw 27mpg's on the highway.

I had a truck that the mileage improved city mileage with 35" tires, my theory is that it reduced my engine's rpms and I was a slightly more aggressive than average traffic acceleration so by getting up to speed and then dropping rpm's it helped.

My advice is to keep the rpm's low, like below 3k if possible, or 2500 is better, and just shift quicker and see how that helps. you don't need the 420hp all the time and the car accelerates fine to highway speeds when you keep the rpms low... even if it isn't as fun
Old 02-08-2015, 06:49 PM
spectreman
2nd Gear Member

Had the same damn gears in my former Bullitt & got 27 MPG on the highway w/that car. I know the 5.0 is pushing more horses but at cruise, I almost gotta believe both are generating the same or nearly the same amount of power. All other things being equal & perhaps that's not fair cuz the GT has 19" wheels as opposed to the Bullitt's 18"ers, I'd expect gas mileage to be the same or darn close, at least more near to the Ford claims.

I've also tried the octane theory, ya know where supposedly higher octane gas returns higher mileage. To that theory I say poppycock & balderdash. Even by switching to an 87 tune, I noticed ZERO difference in MPG.
Lee
Old 02-09-2015, 08:51 AM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by spectreman
I'd love to know how you guys are getting 27 MPG on a 5.0 engine. When my Stang, a '14 GT w/the track pack & 3.73 rear end, was new & stock, I'd be lucky if I hit 22 MPG on the highway; I don't want to even talk about around town. After the CAI/tune/muffler install @ 7k, the MPG increased maybe a .5 MPG on the highway, almost not noticeable.

I'm not looking for econobox fuel mileage but this ain't remotely close to what Ford claimed it should be & I don't drive her like a race car- she's my daily driver. My right foot is rarely buried. Heck, my former '08 Bullitt w/a 3.73 averaged 27 MPG.

What gives?
Lee
I have a '13 with track pack. Biggest thing I noticed in 6th gear, there is little rally about a half inch of pedal play. So I can maintain speed and it sounds louder, or back off the half inch and maintain the same speed and my mpgs are better. Really wierd but my wife's fusion is the same thing.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:44 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Have you checked your tires? if you have sticky summer performance tires you won't get the same mileage as all seasons.
Also I would recommend inflating the tires a little bit, or at least checking them to make sure they are at least 35ish... I have found 40 doesn't make them wear any differently on my car and it gets slightly better gas mileage, this was with the summer pirellis. I liked my bfg sport comp 2's if you are looking for a better than stock summer tire.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.0 gas mileage