Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

TSB 11-07-07 Piston Failure

Old 07-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mikes_BLK_GT
Why not?........it's perfectly reasonable and I'm the same way with my 06. I wouldn't touch a new 5.0 with a 10' pole right now especially not at the prices they want for them.
Because a stock 5.0 walks all over any NA 4.6 while getting better mpg. If the 5.0 owners takes the risks and adds some bolt on's, they're hanging with the unbuilt FI 4.6s. 5.0 goes FI and its night night for the FI 4.6

Last edited by Bmr4life; 07-06-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
Because a stock 5.0 walks all over any NA 4.6 while getting better mpg. If the 5.0 owners takes the risks and adds some bolt on's, they're hanging with the unbuilt FI 4.6s. 5.0 goes FI and its night night for the FI 4.6
I agree fully but to point out what you said is exactly why I wont spend 35k-40k on a new 5.0, too much risk at this point IMO.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:38 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Everybody must be forgetting the infamous frozen spark plug's in the 3v 4.6 and TR-3650 woes. The more things change, the more things stay the same...

The 5.0 is the best engine the mustang has ever had, but a few bad tunes and a vaguely written TSB later, and suddenly the 5.0 is a POS lemon junker. My my, how fickle some people are.

Blacksmoke, Ford still has to prove that the mod caused the problem. Unless I missed something, the flow diagram only provides guidance for the dealership in determining this. And if push comes to shove, you still have the right to arbitration.

People just need to calm the F down. Maybe its the crappy economy, fatigue from fighting in two foreign countries in an even larger war against a fluid asymetric enemy, a not guilty Casey Anthony verdict, or below average ***** size (you'd have to see that South Park episode for that to make sense), but it seems like everybody's just TRYING to find a reason to start ****, get pissed off, and blame a large corporation for a problem that nobody here seems to have even enountered yet.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Im not blaming anyone. But I dont want people just to take what ford says if they go the the dealership and get a response of "you modded the car, so we aren't honoring the warranty."

Taskiss seems to think that if you change the way the engine works, the warranty is gone period. Just as he said. He thinks that if ford says your warranty is not covered because of mods, then that is the reality, whether the mod caused the damage or not.

I want people to be aware of the law and make for follow it. We all know many times the mod means ford sometimes goes directly to no warranty coverage as a policy to say RIGHT away. Not all dealerships are bad and will do this. But some will.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:29 AM
Taskiss
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Taskiss seems to think that if you change the way the engine works, the warranty is gone period.
Not really.

Originally Posted by Taskiss
They do, every time they perform warranty work for a defect where their product failed to perform to their specification. Put a tune on and their specification for their product has been voided. It's not that hard to understand, really.
Change the way the engine does it's thing and it's your responsibility.
Not according to the TSB I've read. "mods found that explain failure" was what I read, or an indication that the system was flashed after a problem, one or the other, before they void a warranty. I wasn't reading more into it than it said, so others may have read something different.
I think your opinions and emotions influence your understanding of what others write. You shouldn't try to characterize what others have written without a bit more effort at reading what was written.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:36 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Not really.

I think your opinions and emotions influence your understanding of what others write. You shouldn't try to characterize what others have written without a bit more effort at reading what was written.
So what are you really mean when you say "Change the way the engine does it's thing and it's your responsibility." because I read that as "you changed it, it blew, your problem.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:59 AM
Taskiss
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
So what are you really mean when you say "Change the way the engine does it's thing and it's your responsibility." because I read that as "you changed it, it blew, your problem.
It's the difference between "it's your responsibility" and "your warranty is gone, period".

It is your responsibility when you change the way something works. Add a cai, now you're responsible for air getting into your engine. Restrict the flow, run too lean, it's yours to fix, not Ford's problem. Change your tune and your intake timing changes and you run too lean, same thing, it's your problem ... your responsibility ... even if you didn't know your tune did that.

Now, if you run too lean and something blows? You own a pile of parts instead of an engine and that's on you, not Ford, to make right. Whining that what you've changed couldn't have caused it (or better yet, claim you didn't change anything!) will get you all sorts of attention on some anonymous internet forum, but that and a dime won't get you anything else, not even a cup of coffee these days.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:09 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

I have a family. If someone in my family is not doing right, I will call them out on it. Same thing applies to Ford. I have been a long time Ford owner ( I have 4 currently ) and hope to be from now on. I have a the right to call Ford out if I feel that I need to. I should have not said, "Thank God I have a '10" Bmr4Life. For that I do apologize. Ford has enough of a problem that THEY issued a TSB. I do not have a problem with that either. I do not like the way that they are treating some people one way and crucifying others over the SAME problem. I work in heavy industry. A chemical plant to be specific. I work with piping and chemical reactors every day. When we have a failure after failure of a device, we start looking for the cause of the failure, and try and figure out the cause of it. I have never seen one case of 4 or 5 things leading to a reoccurring failure. It will come down to one thing or another. At that point we have to decide what is the best way to stop the problem. Sometimes it is something we are doing. Sometimes it is a faulty design of something we did, and sometimes it is a case of a vendor supplied "whatever" that does not do the job it is designed to do. At some point the decision will have to be made that either we or somebody else screwed up and fix it. When I see a problem like the now infamous TSB and flow chart, I guess that I see it a little different than most. To me it screams an engineering problem. If they were having a problem with only modded cars, that would be the problem. They are not. They are having problems with both, not every car but some. And it happens to be the same failure blamed 2 ways?? I just have a huge problem with that one. It is like I stated above. I am having a problem with the way some one in my "family" is treating people. It does not mean that I think the 5.0 is a lemon piece of junk. It just means that they are having a problem. I guess nobody other than me is seeing it that way. Whether anybody wants to admit it or not, we are all a part of a "family". I am going to stop beating this horse.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Truckbutt
Banned

Originally Posted by parchisi
People just need to calm the F down. Maybe its the crappy economy, fatigue from fighting in two foreign countries in an even larger war against a fluid asymetric enemy, a not guilty Casey Anthony verdict, or below average ***** size (you'd have to see that South Park episode for that to make sense), but it seems like everybody's just TRYING to find a reason to start ****, get pissed off, and blame a large corporation for a problem that nobody here seems to have even enountered yet.
Well said!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:15 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

It's the difference between "it's your responsibility" and "your warranty is gone, period".

It is your responsibility when you change the way something works. Add a cai, now you're responsible for air getting into your engine. Restrict the flow, run too lean, it's yours to fix, not Ford's problem. Change your tune and your intake timing changes and you run too lean, same thing, it's your problem ... your responsibility ... even if you didn't know your tune did that.

Now, if you run too lean and something blows? You own a pile of parts instead of an engine and that's on you, not Ford, to make right. Whining that what you've changed couldn't have caused it (or better yet, claim you didn't change anything!) will get you all sorts of attention on some anonymous internet forum, but that and a dime won't get you anything else, not even a cup of coffee these days.
You bring up a point that is the core of everything here: If the tune and CAI do cause it to run too lean or rich, and the engine blows, yes, it is your responsibility and yes, absolutely, Ford has every right to deny the warranty work because those parts and/or the tune are at fault.

However, if the CAI and the tune never make the engine rune too lean or too rich or whatever, then no, Ford and the dealerships should never dare to deny the warranty.
If the mod and tune are not at fault, you should never hear "warranty cancellation" or "void" at all, ever.

Yes, the dealerships have the right to deny warranty for mods that destroy the car, but as always harped on by modders of various levels and also SEMA, if the mod and tune are not the cause, the words "void" and "warranty cancellation" should be banned from the lips of Ford and the dealerships.

Oh, and this battle is not just being fought by Mustang fans and Ford Corp, this fight is also being waged by Camaro fans vs GMC and Chevy, by Challenger/Charger fans and Chrysler/Dodge.

Trust me, GMC/Chevy and Chrysler/Dodge will wrongly threaten with the words "void"and "warranty cancellation/termination" just as badly as a Ford dealership would.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TSB 11-07-07 Piston Failure