Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

modded 2011 GT problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Boy Howdy

ya id just do my best to set it back to stock and then (if it starts) drive it to the shop and put all the mods back on and tell em to fix it...if you dont want it sitting in a drive war for a couple more days. idk
Old 07-20-2011, 11:37 PM
Amorin5.0@PatioPreserve

my question to ya'll is that if they do find out it was a fuel pump plug or a spark plug problem... how the hell does a 2011 gt with 8k miles on it get a problem like that...
Old 07-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

LOL not to sound bad but the other issues these cars are having as well have a big "What the hell" question on them as well.

I gotta admit for a while I was not thinking anything of the problems but now I am REALLY starting to question the 5.0 and the risks involved with modding it. Say what you will.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I'll bet the tuner had no idea what he was doing and screwed things up, apparently these ECUs are hard to program for.

So far I think ive read of about 6 cases of the #8 piston blowing, out of thousands of people with mods and hundreds of forum regulars, i think the odds are slim of people having a problem. Nobody has had that issue with force induction, it's always been n/a. people are blaming it on too much timing now(it's always on 93 octane tunes), because a couple of cars had stock knock sensors. get a 91 octane tune run 93, or hell just run 91 on a 91 tune, nobody has had issues with that so far.

People are blowing this out of proportion.

oh, I might post later copy pasta a quote from another forum, someone claiming he knows an engineer at ford they know of the problem and it is a manufacturing defect on the 2011 5.0s, but they are pushing it back on tuners to take attention away from them. I'm not sure if it's true or not, i"ll post the full quote gotta go though, dont have time to dig it up now.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I'd still hate to have a car that was that difficult to tune and you had to be that careful with when tuning. Would really throw a wrench in the fun factor of doing it and put a worry in your head that you don't want to have to worry about.

Hopefully they will solve this so that this will not be the case for now on and people will not have to take extra caution with tunes in comparison to previous generations.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:53 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

I feel for you man, that sucks. I'm with the other, hand held tune all the way so can put it back to stock.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:17 PM
LSX Block

Originally Posted by Mishri
I'll bet the tuner had no idea what he was doing and screwed things up, apparently these ECUs are hard to program for.

you might want to get your soon to be tune from a different shop then LOL .
Old 07-21-2011, 07:21 PM
LSX Block

just an update: brought car to dealership, they put in a new battery got the car started up fine. they called my friend to pick it up. when the service guy drove the car to us. the car was funning fine, then my friend turned his lights on and the car stalled out ! and the guy said" let me get my service manager LOL .

the problem is still there. this is very wired.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:56 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I agree. As of right now I do think it is blown out of proportion, but at the same time my nickname under my username tells you why I would not feel comfortable haha
Hopefully the issue will be solved soon and it will not turn into some sort of widespread problem.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Originally Posted by LSX Block
you might want to get your soon to be tune from a different shop then LOL .
wtf are you talking about?

I have a tune, car runs great, hell of a lot faster than all but 1 LSx N/A motor i've seen out at my track. The one was an H/C/I LS1 vette...

Quick Reply: modded 2011 GT problems